ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PAS pump replacement

@bozothenutter Any news mate? I spent sometime searching about pas systems one night, ended with how they do it on F1 lol. Theres some american companies that do pumps and you can put different size fittings to allow more or less fluid pressure through for variable resistance, would need to be custom mounted but would be a far superior system to oem

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
@bozothenutter Any news mate? I spent sometime searching about pas systems one night, ended with how they do it on F1 lol. Theres some american companies that do pumps and you can put different size fittings to allow more or less fluid pressure through for variable resistance, would need to be custom mounted but would be a far superior system to oem
not really, still trying to decide if the noise is normal, but just louder because I removed the firewall isolation...

or maybe replace with an electric pump unit (cupracers had one)

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I would replace the PAS with EPAS tbh, my PAS went and i was lucky it didn't take out the engine or anything else. I have been told that the tolerances on the pump are within 1mm. I did get one from eBay and it was out and used a hub puller to "adjust" it.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
I would replace the PAS with EPAS tbh, my PAS went and i was lucky it didn't take out the engine or anything else. I have been told that the tolerances on the pump are within 1mm. I did get one from eBay and it was out and used a hub puller to "adjust" it.
not gonna happen, just fitted a brand new PAS quick rack.
Thanks for the info on the pump though, another reason to add an electric PAS pump....;)

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
A class merc pump or a berlingo one @ZachB ;)

Like this one?
A_Class_Electric_Power_Steering_Pump__40490.1351165456.1280.1280.jpg

Renault Clio RS 182
My pump's very noisy... sounds like I have a supercharger... I'm not using the car on track and just wondered if anyone had gotten a decent standard pump off eBay or elsewhere they'd recommend ?

did you write down the fitting sizes, would help a deal not having to reinvent the wheel.

Merc pump is quite heavy btw....
This for the high pressure. They are -6 thread so I think the adapter was m14 to -6 rack. The return line I used -8 ptfe braided as I wanted it to be high heat resistance and secure.
https://cliosport.net/threads/silver-182-172-cup-spec.815422/page-3. Second post of project thread

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
This for the high pressure. They are -6 thread so I think the adapter was m14 to -6 rack. The return line I used -8 ptfe braided as I wanted it to be high heat resistance and secure.
https://cliosport.net/threads/silver-182-172-cup-spec.815422/page-3. Second post of project thread
Awesome ! Thanks mate!

Renault Clio RS 182
@MrBlonde got one off eBay and was fine.

Thanks guys... I did the job a few weeks ago [along with a ton of other stuff as I took the engine and gearbox out of the car] and used this one off eBay. It's probably the one @MrBlonde used ? Seems alright so far, although I have to say there's still a whine when I start the car, but it goes away after about 30 seconds.

Renault Clio RS 182
Yes mate exactly the same pump & your wine is prob the belt needs changing or adjusting mate @Davyboy888

I replaced a ton of stuff including the timing belt, dephaser, auxiliary belt, aux belt pulleys and tensioner, all the oil seals, sump gasket, exhaust and inlet manifold gaskets, clutch etc... etc... all with genuine Renault parts. Prior to that the alternator and water pump were replaced.

Renault Clio RS 182
Could also be the air con compressor if you have one. Can see if the sounds different with the air con clutch engaged or not.

Ya that's a point. I've not gassed the system since I've had everything to bits, so will try that when I have.