ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PAS cooler

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
I have a PAS quickrack on order from Pure, might aswell add in a cooler while I'm messing around down there...
what have people used?
Just a loop at the front, or a proper radiator?
I was thinking of something like this (from a KIA)
L662035A.jpg

or this (from an Alfa Romeo)
L152661A.jpg

Can this be overcooled?
also all the PAS lines will be given a heat resisting jacket.

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
A nice project but most will probably advise you to cap off the hydraulics and install an EPAS column.
Much less to go wrong or leak and less power sapping for the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Ha, I thought you might say that! I'm not aware of the system getting particularly hot so that Kia one would probably be fine. I guess it will mount just in front of the rad near the pump to reduce pipe runs. These systems are very prone to leaking so just be thorough when making all the connections. I found that out the hard way after a leak sprayed fluid all over one back wheel at Donington and before I knew it I was upside down in the gravel at the bottom of Craners!
Be interesded to hear how you get on with the quick rack. I don't know anyone who has run one.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Not yet mate, PAS racks are converted in Italy, lead time is 12 weeks!!!
shipped it to Pure Oct 15, guessing beginning of FEB somewhere.

Only small issue is you're hard pushed to fit a cooler partly due to the hose location. One option would be use extra hosing to fit the Kia one.
Another option I've been looking at is buying an oil cooler and plumbing it in.
However, I've fitted mine without a cooler for now and its been faultless. The steering feel is amazing and minimal input is required to get the car turning in.
Can safely say you won't regret the wait, it'll be worth it.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Only small issue is you're hard pushed to fit a cooler partly due to the hose location. One option would be use extra hosing to fit the Kia one.
Another option I've been looking at is buying an oil cooler and plumbing it in.
However, I've fitted mine without a cooler for now and its been faultless. The steering feel is amazing and minimal input is required to get the car turning in.
Can safely say you won't regret the wait, it'll be worth it.
oooohhhh....and such a long wait still......

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
@Filters What alignment settings do you run with the quick rack?

Sorry mate only just got this.
Alignment is all down to personal preference, mines set to as near standard as possible. No added camber/toe front or rear, just 20mm spacers to widen the track.
Corners nice and flat so says @Daniel
How true that is I don't really know but it feels that way from the drivers seat so, I'd say your best of starting as close to oem spec as possible and work from there
?

@Filters
No worries mate. Reason I ask is I had mine corner weighted and setup not so long ago and above 70mph it was a bit too responsive, its on 2.6 camber with factory toe but with increased caster so it still has good stability, it just felt like when you started the turn it was a dart, but in the corner it was a dream, really smooth and easy to drive. I love its characteristics but thought the QR would make the car too strung on fast straights, but English roads arnt a good example to base off!

Ill see how it is when I fit it hopefully this weekend and see from there, Im excited but skeptical as my current rack is pretty worn and has quite a bit of 'on center' gear wear so I have no idea how the car should perform when its healthy! Who knows maybe the fresh rack makes things more stable

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
@Filters
No worries mate. Reason I ask is I had mine corner weighted and setup not so long ago and above 70mph it was a bit too responsive, its on 2.6 camber with factory toe but with increased caster so it still has good stability, it just felt like when you started the turn it was a dart, but in the corner it was a dream, really smooth and easy to drive. I love its characteristics but thought the QR would make the car too strung on fast straights, but English roads arnt a good example to base off!

Ill see how it is when I fit it hopefully this weekend and see from there, Im excited but skeptical as my current rack is pretty worn and has quite a bit of 'on center' gear wear so I have no idea how the car should perform when its healthy! Who knows maybe the fresh rack makes things more stable

If you're finding things too responsive with your rack in the state it is... then I'll say this, take your time getting used to how it drives before pushing on with the QR.
It's very responsive, minimal input is required and I mean minimal. Around blyton, at bunga bunga and twickers the two tightest corners, the centre marker on my steering wheel barely even touch 9 o'clock when pushing on. Making the overall drive a hell of a lot easier and less tiring too.

On straights, it's surprisingly stable at high speeds as the steering feel is improved making it a lot more predictable, you get much more feedback compared to standard. That said, get it fitted and enjoy!

@Filters Had a few delays installing it but got there in the end. Very impressed, had under steer at 10mph in the first couple minutes xD But its really given the car a lift, everything seems to be wearing to go, the feedback is very nice, you can really feel the car in the turn and its not overly eager to self center when you are turning, the resistance feels just right. Just needs some better tyres to take full advantage now!

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
@Filters Had a few delays installing it but got there in the end. Very impressed, had under steer at 10mph in the first couple minutes xD But its really given the car a lift, everything seems to be wearing to go, the feedback is very nice, you can really feel the car in the turn and its not overly eager to self center when you are turning, the resistance feels just right. Just needs some better tyres to take full advantage now!

Told you ?
Makes daily driving a hell of a lot easier too ?