ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painted calipers.... Looks terrible

Arctic 182
Painted the calipers yesterday and im no painter but it looks terrible. It looks tacky and bobbly! I want to make the finish abit smoother, what can i do to achieve this? Sandpaper or emry cloth?
8713482c.jpg

9c5856c9.jpg

Thanks

Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique
i can see from the blobs and drips on the floor that you've put it on far too thick in the first place. sand it back if your really bothered by it and start again.

clean with wire brush, apc, and wipe down. then paint with thin layers to avoid runs. 2 or 3 coats will do the trick. tbh though, who actually gives a f**k that they're not incredibly smooth anyway??

Fiesta ST3
I used a wire brush and then sand paper. I found that the sand paper was more effective than the wire brush.

I think mine looks ok; i'll try and get some pics later if you like?

Arctic 182
Yeh that would be great.

Im just doing the passenger side now so will try thinner layers. If this looks better then i will redo the other one!

Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique
what paint are you using? the hammerite stuff takes a couple hours to dry properly so thin layers are best with that. just take your time.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
The finish is the least of your problems...Red is a big no no! s**t looking brakes that are pathetic in size, why would you want to draw attention to them. black/grey/silver.

Clio 182ff
Please tell me why you have painted standard calipers red?

Should have gone with black or forked out for the Brembos?

However - sand back (go thru the grades) the lumps and bumps you have now and the new coat will go on smoother.

Arctic 182
Used a brush. Was right pain in the arseee to be honest so i think spray would have been better.
I think the red looks good to be honest, done the other caliper today using less paint and it looks alot better!

CLIO 182 RS
The finish is the least of your problems...Red is a big no no! s**t looking brakes that are pathetic in size, why would you want to draw attention to them. black/grey/silver.

I think they look good, I wouldn't say the calipers are undersized, we are not running lambos or anything that needs huge calipers

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
To me it does look like you have just put it on to thick, did mine the other day not red but
fbffdf94.gif
i'm willing to accept and negative comments, and with the wheel on
2b050d51.gif

Dodgy one
Grinder with wire brush attatchment and belt sander to smooth mine out, Look mint, just i cant be arsed to keep them clean!

BG PH1 Megane 225
I've been thinking of painting mine yellow this past week and this has made me actually want to go out and buy the paint and get it done. I presume you're leaving the calipers on the car when you paint them? or is it best to take them off? :eek:

RenaultSport 172
Take them off and spray them, you'll get much better results, you WILL need to bleed brakes afterwards though.

bumperforsale015.jpg

bumperforsale018.jpg

bumperforsale021.jpg

BG PH1 Megane 225
Ah right, well I've just bled my brakes this past week so I can't be bothered doing it again! I'll wait to paint mine until I next change the brake fluid :) which will probably be a while yet :dapprove:

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
i took the the wheel of and jetwashed the calipers then used a wire brush to get and loose dirt off, then applied 3 coats of hammerite smooth yellow, while the calipers were still on. it propbably would be best to take them off as getting to the back of them is abit of a pain.