ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Paint peeling - Renault won't sort it....

RB 200
Can anyone offer some advice? I have a 200 registered in Sept 2011 and the lacquer and paint is peeling off the bumper corners, under my lights and wheel arches. RUK have basically told me where to go, and that I should contact my supplying dealer, luckily I work for the supplying dealer, but I know I'll get the same from them, I know I'm meant to have a 3 year paint warranty but obviously they're not bothered about that. Even though it's had the anti corrosion checks etc. I'm foaming, because the car is usually immaculate and it's really letting it down, don't fancy stumping up a few hundred quid to get it done myself.

Anyone have any suggestions about how I should approach this / what I should do before I go and see our sales manager.

​Cheers, James.

RB 200
What reasons have they given for not doing it if it's under warranty?

I can't prove that it's the paintwork at fault and it's not been caused by my wax basically. They told me they've never had this issue before and although I told them I had proof of it happening to others on here he said he wouldn't entertain it and only my car is relevant.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's actually embarrassing. I'm sure someone higher up RUK will help. Maybe PM Bush and ask for a contact. If not, trading standards will pull their pants down for you. Not difficult to prove aslong as it's original paint.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I know it's annoying but it could be worse - just get it repainted and be done with it.

RB 200
It's actually embarrassing. I'm sure someone higher up RUK will help. Maybe PM Bush and ask for a contact. If not, trading standards will pull their pants down for you. Not difficult to prove aslong as it's original paint.

It is mate, it's coming off both arches where the bumper joins the wing, under the lamps right along, and both corners of the bumper, all along mould lines if you will. And there blaming zymol carbon ha. Disheartening to say the least.

Mines been flaking off in the exact same spot, near side front headlight, in the corners and i'll be going to see the dealer about it. I doubt they'll do anything about it.

RB 200
I rang RUK and they told me to go to a local dealer to inspect and have decided it's not there fault. Seems pretty common to me.

Guilietta 2.0 JTDM-2
RUK are never very helpful tbh. The only way to get anything done is go over their heads to the management. I emailed Jeremy Townsend - Renault UK Communications Director, and he helped me get my recaro issues resolved on my 197. May also be worth dropping him an email - jeremy.townsend@renault.co.uk

Suzuki Jimny
I've got peeling around my rear drivers side window, the cars only 9 months old and they are trying to get out of re-painting it!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's not their fault? Are they utterly ripping the piss? And they wonder why no one will buy their cars?

Shower of proverbials.

Suzuki Jimny
Really is bad that Matt.

I know. They are trying to blame me, saying I had the window smashed and replaced. WTF. Where do they even come up with these ideas?

Wonder what will be next? I live in a high pixie count area and the pesky blighters like to steal paintwork to make their nests with?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I know. They are trying to blame me, saying I had the window smashed and replaced. WTF. Where do they even come up with these ideas?

Wonder what will be next? I live in a high pixie count area and the pesky blighters like to steal paintwork to make their nests with?
HAHA, yeah they are awful, I argued the toss with them about my flywheel when I had problems with that, they had the cheek to tell me my pads needed changing (which where changed the month before) !!

Absolute cretins !
It's taken them nearly 8 months to authorise the warranty work on my cup spoiler which had bubbled!

RB 200
It's mental. I've just had my dealer back on saying if I ring Renault uk they may do my wings, but not my bumpers? When it's the same paintwork.... What the f*%k ..... Are they trying to loose customers or what? ...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My ph1 (when it was 5 years old) had bubbling on the tailgate and bonnet. On the inside so you couldn't see it.
But no questions asked (once I'd sent my service book to prove history) they just replaced the bonnet and tailgate.

Couldn't fault them really.

RB 200
Yea but " it's not under warranty because a mechanic at benfield says there's nothing wrong with the paint"

he also said I've got to put a case together and email him about others with the same problem because there's nothing logged on there systems about it.

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
It's not their fault? Are they utterly ripping the piss? And they wonder why no one will buy their cars?

Shower of proverbials.

I'm really amazed anyone still buys their cars. Same issues over and over and over from mark to mark.. :S

Hopefully that will all stop with the mk4 as anyone who buys one has got to be blind so they won't notice the paintwork falling off anyway.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I'm really amazed anyone still buys their cars. Same issues over and over and over from mark to mark.. :S

Hopefully that will all stop with the mk4 as anyone who buys one has got to be blind so they won't notice the paintwork falling off anyway.

Big lols

172 Rally Car

That actually made me laugh!

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5
Call RUK customer services mate, make a complaint and mention trading standard's ect. I got a new engine out of them this way so a bit of paint shouldn't be to much of a problem.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yea but " it's not under warranty because a mechanic at benfield says there's nothing wrong with the paint"

he also said I've got to put a case together and email him about others with the same problem because there's nothing logged on there systems about it.

If you visit any dealer for warranty they have to send away a report with images to get approval. It's been happening since the dawn of time! It's not bloody difficult!

Manufacturer warranty work is worth megabucks to garages!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

The more I hear of their service the more it shocks me, and no not all manufacturers are the same. There is a certain way to deal with things even if it's bad news for the customer.

They make the warranty then hope they don't have to honour it. Piss poor!

I know. They are trying to blame me, saying I had the window smashed and replaced.

Even if that was the case and whoever re-fitted the window scratched the f**k out of it, it still shouldn't peel afterwards. What a shower of dicks.

GTD, Lupo
Keep fighting is all i say, but do prepare for the mess your paint will be in when it comes back from the body shop.

My car is currently in for its 5 paint job.

The first sounds like the problem you might have. The paint was pealing from behind the Os headlight. Almost like the headlight had been put on to early and had creased the paint up. Luckily i spotted it on the day i picked the car up.

The following repairs are due to paint chipping from within the arch where the front wings and rear arches meet the bumpers.

Like so:

Rear
BA2A612F-7A67-4F7A-9F06-394353248BC6-2957-0000021509304225.jpg

Fronts:
390FE8F3-1708-4EB6-BC14-B19132C531E6-2957-00000215FC4BE82B.jpg

As i said its now in for its fourth time to fix this problem as the body shop keep screwing it up. The first repair was a smart repair :headno: What ever happens dont let them do a smart repair. They are anything but smart. Its currently in for its second top down re-spray.

Even if Renault do help which they should then expect them to cut every corner and do it as cheaply as possible, but keep arguing about it. If mine is not perfect this time it will go back. So far im guessing its cost RUK a small fortune. I have been in courtesy cars for at least 6 weeks this year alone.

If you have the problem with the paint behind the headlight message me and it could be worth using my details to prove the fact the problem exists. It only needs to be reported more than once for them to start the claim.

RB182cup&golf gti
How can a wax cause paint to peel? Lame excuse. Big letter of complaint to RUK and someone like What Car? required (mention what car in your letter to RUK). Piss poor service takes the piss!

RB 200
It can't. There looking to get out of it. If there's more than me needs this resolving why don't we take class action and work together to get everyone's sorted? Maybe if we all stick a complaint into the same person it'll get sorted.

GTD, Lupo
It can't. There looking to get out of it. If there's more than me needs this resolving why don't we take class action and work together to get everyone's sorted? Maybe if we all stick a complaint into the same person it'll get sorted.

Firstly never just call RUK with a problem. Always take it to a dealership first. They will take pictures and send it to RUK and the dealerships normally push for it to get fixed.

Secondly...

Is the car financed? If it is then its simple. Call the finance company as it is technically their car. This help me getting mine fixed.

clio diesel
Offer them 1 chance to get the work done. In writing. If they refuse, get it done yourself. Send them the bill. Say payment withing 14 days, Failure to pay will result in claim being pursued in county court, with interest and costs additional.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I reckon that's had a respray...... Not from the factory.