ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Paint correction on resprayed paint

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Ive read threads on DW where they chekc the levels of paint to see if it has a health layer for correction and to see if it has had some paint in the past.

Im looking to detailing a friends car over the bank holiday and we know it has had some paint in its life on the bonnett and the arches (yes it had a bump).

Would this cause any issues in terms of correction?

I assume the dangers are that the new layer of paint is too thin and could cut through to the old paint and then we have a lovely mismatch of paint contrasts?

The painted parts are the same colour on old and new paint and was just wondering if its safe to attack the swirls or whether it fundamentally depends on how much paint was laid down onto the paint.

I think i just answered my own question didnt i?

106 GTi
If your using a PC there should be no more danger than on factory paint. In an ideal world you should measure paint depths on any car before carrying out any work, but with out an expensive paint thickness gauge capable of telling you individual layers of paint and clearcoat you will always be guessing anyway.

There should be no reason if the paintwork was done correctly it will be thin, infact hand sprayed vs machine applied factory jobs should mean the paint will be thicker than what robots can do !

ibiza cupra
you will only have to be carefull realy if the car has had a little blow in done to it where they flick on a bit of colour then flick a little bit of laquer over then spray fade out thinners around the edges, after which it is mopped and polished. if you take back the edge of the lacquer from the flick too far you may be able to notice the difference between the two