ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Paint correction costs?

Evo
Looking at a new car to buy, red in colour but swirl marked quite badly and really takes a lot away from an otherwise mint car.

Got a couple of quotes last night for a paint correction ( megane 250 size car ) and they came back at circa £750! Is this the usual cost of such a treatment?

I could get the car resprayed for that sort of money. Anyone know of any reasonable professional detailers in the Essex area?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
First up, what kind of vehicle is it? Makes a massive difference. And the idea of respraying your car for that money is quite frankly ridiculous!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Tbh that's about right, you'll be better off with a hobbyist if you dont want to pay that much. Do one or two days on it and the right person can make it look a completely different car.

I can maybe do it depending on when you want it doing.

There's a couple in this area that will do a great job tbh

Learn yourself! It's not all that difficult it's just the time it takes.
And the cost of the equipment, and time taken to learn etc etc...
Since you're in Essex, @ben_r1 can I suggest you come and see @Scrooge - he is one of very few hobbyists that I would take my car to, now I no longer have the time.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed. Leave it with Ant and save yourself a fortune.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Spend the change on decent products to keep the finish lasting.

Evo
I don't doubt for their work for the £750 and I'm sure the results would even be worth it, but seriously who has that kind of money to spend on a polish up these days!

I may have to save up my pennies.

@detail1

I recommend Rob @ Gleammachine his work is fantastic
Thanks Kyle, appreciated mate.
To the OP, for paintwork correction the price you have been quoted is very competitive, generally to do it correctly takes in the region of 3-5 days.
Have you considered perhaps opting for something like a paintwork enhancement, this would give you 1-2 stages of machine polishing and increase the gloss & clarity, and possibly reduce or remove 65-70% of the swirls etc and may be a little more to your budget, also if it's going to be a daily driver it would make more sense?
Something to consider when comparing the price between paint correction and a respray, you will more than likely end up having to have a detailer rectify "most" bodyshops machine polishing efforts, after the car has been painted. Bodyshop painters spend years learning how to spray a car well, and a few hours wielding a rotary polisher, most never refine the finish after the cutting stage, thus leaving holograms, trails etc..

Last edited:
  Evo
To the OP, for paintwork correction the price you have been quoted is very competitive, generally to do it correctly takes in the region of 3-5 days.
Have you considered perhaps opting for something like a paintwork enhancement, this would give you 1-2 stages of machine polishing and increase the gloss & clarity, and possibly reduce or remove 65-70% of the swirls etc and may be a little more to your budget, also if it's going to be a daily driver it would make more sense?
Something to consider when comparing the price between paint correction and a respray, you will more than likely end up having to have a detailer rectify "most" bodyshops machine polishing efforts, after the car has been painted. Bodyshop painters spend years learning how to spray a car well, and a few hours wielding a rotary polisher, most never refine the finish after the cutting stage, thus leaving holograms, trails etc..

Thanks for the input mate. I'm sure it's worth the money but well out of my budget. How much does a paintwork enhancement cost in comparison?

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
A minor paint correction(with several areas of major correction), wheels off, engine and interior detail(very ingrained cream leather) with Gtechniq and Ltt upgrades on 3 series touring was not that much at Whitedetails -

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I charge £250 for minor correction and complete interior clean. And I'm the dearest person around here!

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
No worries Rob ;)

Well have to catch up soon

Thanks for the input mate. I'm sure it's worth the money but well out of my budget. How much does a paintwork enhancement cost in comparison?
For me to do it, it is in the region of £400-£525 approx, this obviously depends on the car and condition. I am booking from January 2015 now though, your more than welcome to pop by at some point if you would like a better opinion of what's necessary, I'm based near Lakeside/Thurrock.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I charge £250 for minor correction and complete interior clean. And I'm the dearest person around here!

£180 a day I charge. That's enough for an enhancement.

I'm not running an actual business though so don't expect to be charging the same. Although I do have almost as much overheads with the unit etc.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

I'm not running an actual business though so don't expect to be charging the same. Although I do have almost as much overheads with the unit etc.
You're too cheap! ;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

About the same as me. £250 covers me for 1.5 days. Half a day on the inside and a day on the outside.

I won't be doing it much longer hopefully!

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
I also do a lot of work myself. I dont charge a lot to be fair. I do it as i enjoy it & it helps towards mine and the mrs house funds

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Anyone in the West Midlands who'd be able to do a paint correction on my Clio come Spring?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
An enhancement is what you need as has been said, I doubt you'd notice the difference* between a £750 detail and correction and an enhancement from a hobbyist like Scrooge.

If you just want most of the swirls (the deeper ones will remain under a light enhancement), you really won't go wrong giving it to Scrooge.

Then you'll have change to spend on making it go quicker :smiley:

*on a daily, and being a non detailer.

Evo
@ben_r1 I thought you was into detailing? Can you not use what you have and your best skills and go from there rather than paying someone to do what you'll be able to do half of?

I'm into detailing yes but have never tried my hand at machine polishing with different compounds etc. by the time i get all the gear and figure it out may aswell give it to someone.

I always remember an old friend who tried it with his CTR and somehow managed to leave a big burn mark on the paint about the size of a penny!