ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Overheating problems!

Albi 197
Hi, first off sorry if this is in the wrong section as it is not about a Clio.

The problem lies with my friends 2000 VW Polo 1.0, a couple of days ago the heater stopped blowing warm air, today the car overheated while stationary in a drive thru. I replaced the temperature sensor a while ago as the old one was giving a false reading. And when the heater stopped working I flushed and replaced the coolant, there was no blockages in the heater matrix or radiator but this still didn't fix the heater.

Just wondering what to try next? My friend thinks changing the thermostat should sort it, but after some research I discovered that the water pump fail quite commonly on that engine as the fins are plastic and break off.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks

twingo
your thermostat is jammed closed sir. you'll need a new one. that's the only reason why no air would blow + the overheat. when jammed closed, coolant cannot circulate around, therefore cannot circulate through to the heater matrix to be radiated into the heating vents and blown out. run the car for a bit, check the bottom and top radiator hose... feel a massive difference in temperature? :) merry christmas mate. lol

Last edited:
  Albi 197
Thanks for the quick reply, answers my question perfectly! Think it will have to wait until after boxing day now!

Merry Christmas to you!

Clio 197
You may want to do a compression test too to check the condition of the engine given that it has overheated.