ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oulton Park

Ian

Focus TDCi
I went along to Oulton Park with the NW lot yesterday for a few hours, to meet up with a few of the guys that had their cars out on track. I was in my element, taking photos. Sadly I was extremely under-equipped, having only my kit lens and a memory card that was already 3 quarters full. Fortunately the cars were just in reach and I did get a minute or two with a Siggy 70-300mm lens, couldn't tell you which though, thanks to Jamie for that.

I shot at 1/80th for all the panning shots, not really sure why I didn't vary it. Looking once again at Chris' motorsport guide, I was still shooting too slow and there should have been masses more backgound blur (I guess that has something to do with the lack of zoom?). Can't wait to get back and try again though. Anyway less talk more photos eh!:

Kit Lens:
3376414032_c13618439b.jpg

Kit Lens:
3375555731_fcdfdc4aac.jpg

Kit Lens:
3376309294_ebe619dc70.jpg

Kit Lens:
3374957657_ea7f1e7b11.jpg

Sigma:
3373380003_e8433c48aa.jpg

Let me know where I'm going right/wrong. :)
Ian

Oil Burner
Not bad at all, Any chance of some slightly larger photos, its hard to tell how sharp they are.

For 1/80 they look very good.

Cant really fault them too much, If i was to try it would be Framing, Panning is just a fraction too slow on the first 2, hense why the backs of the cars are sharp and the rest not.

My best piece of panning advice is to pick something on the car and then try to hold the focus point your using in it. Rattle off a few shots (typically the first and last wont be much good as your getting up to speed)

Good effort :)

Nick

Ian

Focus TDCi
Thanks everyone. :)

Not bad at all, Any chance of some slightly larger photos, its hard to tell how sharp they are.

For 1/80 they look very good.

Cant really fault them too much, If i was to try it would be Framing, Panning is just a fraction too slow on the first 2, hense why the backs of the cars are sharp and the rest not.

My best piece of panning advice is to pick something on the car and then try to hold the focus point your using in it. Rattle off a few shots (typically the first and last wont be much good as your getting up to speed)

Good effort :)

Nick

Nope, no chance whatsoever of larger photos ;) Lol, I'll see what I can do, they're nothing special though!

Ahh is that what it is when the back goes out of focus? Almost all of my shots suffered from it looking through them.

I did tend to take 4 shots for every car that passed by, like you say the first and last weren't too good on the whole. Cheers for the advice anyway Nick, definitely got myself hooked now!

Mk2 ph1 clio
Crackin photos for a kit lens mate.

I can't get the hang of panning.. plus my tripod sucks.. lol.

What settings did you use apart from 1/80

Ian

Focus TDCi
Cheers dude. Erm, the shot of the silver BMW for example:

ISO 200
f/8
1/80th
55mm
Spot Metering
0 Exposure
Handheld (is a tripod not very restrictive?)

Normally I shoot underexposed, but I was trying to get a bit more life into these. Think I'll probably go back to a bit of underexposure though.

I'm just uploading the RAW file of it to a free hosting site, if it works I'll post up the link. Like I said they look better small though. :)

Mk2 ph1 clio
Well il post a couple of my filthy car later on after football but i couldnt get the blurring i was after!

Yeah it was to a certain extent but i thought i would get better results with the panning being more steady!

Ian

Focus TDCi
Well il post a couple of my filthy car later on after football but i couldnt get the blurring i was after!

Yeah it was to a certain extent but i thought i would get better results with the panning being more steady!

Yeah stick 'em up, be good to see them! Tbh I've never really thought about using a tripod, always thought handheld would be so much more maneuverable! Maybe a monopod (there was a guy there with one, on the end of which was the largest lens I have ever seen. Some sort of Canon L-series. Think I'll stick to handheld though, for now.

the Old Skool BM shot is brilliant

Cheers Naith, Riad said you took a few photos?

L-Series and big means it cost probably more than I make in a year! lol..

I need to get to a track to try it out and not just take pics of traffic! I suffered with the blur at the back end of the car too.

Looking forward to having another go tbh.

Oil Burner
Will look at the large photo later as im on laptop and dont have any PP software to open a RAW file :mad:

When you pan as slow as 1/80 its normally for artistic effect. Basically if the car is anything other than totally side on, the rotation of the car will make certain parts of it OOF (out of focus) or blured.

Using this you can then choose which part of the car you want to be sharp. Typically the sharp bit is the part of the car you pan with (or match your speed to). It is also normally near to the part of the car that you focus on.

This shot is 1/80, the car is rotating slightly more whilst the shutter is up tho, hense its go more blur than your shot.

495056960_5qeyj-L.jpg

On the Monopod/Tripod front, Tripods are a total no unless its to hold a super telephoto lense, then maybe, but only mounted on the lense.

Monopods are ok, they are useless mounted to the camera base (totally stop your swing from being a line and turn it into an arc. These need to be mounted to the lense to be used effectively. Even then ive stopped using mine, the most usefull thing about it was a way to carry the camera. Other than that it just anoyed me.

Other tips, have your feet facing roughly towards where you want to take the picture, and if you hold the end of the lense you will have more control over it than at the base.

Nick

Ian

Focus TDCi
Thanks once again for the tips Nick. If I make it to Oulton for the BTCC one day, would you be around and accessible to have a bit of a shoot with? I know you're a busy guy, so no worries if you can't. I'll try varying the shutter speed next time I get the chance as well then. Nice change of photo btw, both look excellent.

L-Series and big means it cost probably more than I make in a year! lol..

I need to get to a track to try it out and not just take pics of traffic! I suffered with the blur at the back end of the car too.

Looking forward to having another go tbh.

L series are only really expensive when you go mega mega mega big, or large fixed prime....

my 70-200mm F4 L was only circa £300 off ebay, was perfect length for oulton, other tracks was a bit short though....sold it for £370 six months later....L series hold their value so well....

The pics it took with my 350d were amazing quality, never got chance to try it on my 40d, but im after a 300mm F4 L prime at the moment...

Ian

Focus TDCi
Hi Ian, any of BAGS? :eek:

Unbelievably, no I'm afraid not! :dapprove: I did get a few, but they didn't come out well and with forgetting to take another memory card I had to delete them to free up space. The problem was I saw you out on track, but at the time I was stood at the pitwall. Trying to shoot through the gaps in it just didn't go down well with me, only shot worth keeping from there was the Pug.

When are you next there dude? I might pop back if I'm not busy, try and make up for it.

P.S Jamie managed to get a few long range shots of you here

L series are only really expensive when you go mega mega mega big, or large fixed prime....

my 70-200mm F4 L was only circa £300 off ebay, was perfect length for oulton, other tracks was a bit short though....sold it for £370 six months later....L series hold their value so well....

The pics it took with my 350d were amazing quality, never got chance to try it on my 40d, but im after a 300mm F4 L prime at the moment...

It was a mega big one I'd say, put Jamies Siggy in the shade. He literally had it over his shoulder and was holding it with the monopod. Can't figure out which one it was though.

I'm hoping to pick up the 70-200, but not sure about the lack of range.

Hey Ian good first effort. I must make an effort to get out to a track and take some photos.

Cheers Paul, come up to Oulton sometime. ;)

Oil Burner
Thanks once again for the tips Nick. If I make it to Oulton for the BTCC one day, would you be around and accessible to have a bit of a shoot with? I know you're a busy guy, so no worries if you can't. I'll try varying the shutter speed next time I get the chance as well then. Nice change of photo btw, both look excellent.

Yeh deffinatly, if its not the BTCC race im normally just killing time (maybe the ginettas too this year, we will see) Oulton is one im keen to do, will probably do Sat and Sunday and Camp.

The 70-200 are about the best lense for the money, and 200mm is more than enough for most shots, plus you can always add a 1.4 teleconverter.

N

Ian

Focus TDCi
Yeh deffinatly, if its not the BTCC race im normally just killing time (maybe the ginettas too this year, we will see) Oulton is one im keen to do, will probably do Sat and Sunday and Camp.

The 70-200 are about the best lense for the money, and 200mm is more than enough for most shots, plus you can always add a 1.4 teleconverter.

N

Good stuff, I'll be in touch nearer the time then pal, hopefully get a few of us there (just seen your other thread about meet-ups).

True about the teleconverter too. I don't think I shot anything longer than about 120mm yesterday, but it could come in useful, especially if I move to full frame at any time.

Yeah I love Oulton Park - really good fun track to drive - had a single seater experience there about 4-5years ago!

Couldn't bring myself to do that, looks hectic on track! If you're ever up North give me a shout though! :)

N

yeah, i was cropping my 70-200 shots by nearly half and the image quality for web use was still brilliant....id say better than a full uncropped shot with the kit lens imo

Ian

Focus TDCi
I could tell the difference with the Sigma, like the carpark shot that I posted at the start of the NW media thread, so much sharper than the kit lens. So the f/4L is only going to be better! Saying that, I'm surprised how well the kit lens coped with the panning shots. They have been sharpened a bit, but it's better than expected. I can't wait to get a decent lens though, although at the same time I'm enjoying not having one because it means I have to work harder to get good shots.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
the sharpeness of the canon f4 70-200mm L series lens is great, also a lot of people opt for the kenko x1.4 teleconvertor as its a lot cheaper, just as good quality ( some say its better than the canon one) and it works with all lenses which could be useful. You can pick one up for around £80-£100 unless you get ultra lucky like me as i got mine for £24 lol as the guy listed an ebay auction as 1x4 rather than x1.4 so no one else found it haha

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong?

I quite fancy a zoom lens as all I use the DSLR for is car pictures. 200mm for ~£300 sounds quite reasonable imo.

Looking at Canon 70-200mm lens' on eBay though and they're all over £1,000... L Series is the white ones with the red band round the edge right?

Ian

Focus TDCi
Cool pics Ian!

Cheers dude. :)

the sharpeness of the canon f4 70-200mm L series lens is great, also a lot of people opt for the kenko x1.4 teleconvertor as its a lot cheaper, just as good quality ( some say its better than the canon one) and it works with all lenses which could be useful. You can pick one up for around £80-£100 unless you get ultra lucky like me as i got mine for £24 lol as the guy listed an ebay auction as 1x4 rather than x1.4 so no one else found it haha

I really want that lens tbh, I just want to do something photography related rather than engineering. I can't be mithered doing any work for it any more, motivation is so hard to come by! Good price on the TC, worth keeping an eye out for things like that.

Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong?

I quite fancy a zoom lens as all I use the DSLR for is car pictures. 200mm for ~£300 sounds quite reasonable imo.

Looking at Canon 70-200mm lens' on eBay though and they're all over £1,000... L Series is the white ones with the red band round the edge right?

As James has said you're probably looking at the wrong one. You're probably looking at either the f/2.8 L IS model or the f/4L IS model, not the f/4L. Acronyms are very important when it comes to lenses. It goes:

Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM

You will struggle to get any of them for £300 though, the IS model is about twice as much as the non-IS and even that seems to be over £4-500 now from retailers with the price increases.

I went along to Oulton Park with the NW lot yesterday for a few hours, to meet up with a few of the guys that had their cars out on track. I was in my element, taking photos. Sadly I was extremely under-equipped, having only my kit lens and a memory card that was already 3 quarters full. Fortunately the cars were just in reach and I did get a minute or two with a Siggy 70-300mm lens, couldn't tell you which though, thanks to Jamie for that.

I shot at 1/80th for all the panning shots, not really sure why I didn't vary it. Looking once again at Chris' motorsport guide, I was still shooting too slow and there should have been masses more backgound blur (I guess that has something to do with the lack of zoom?). Can't wait to get back and try again though. Anyway less talk more photos eh!:
Let me know where I'm going right/wrong. :)

Ian

errrrr Canon 70-300 IS USM :rasp:;)

ian mate, i want to go back soon, so ill buzz you when i do (hopefully going along as part of the company my dad "knows" that sponsor a g50 ginetta team, so breakfast, lunch and tea in the warmth + photos)

jamie

Ian

Focus TDCi
LOL! It was a Canon? But it had a green band?! Haha, assumptions are the mother of something or other! Number of times I've written Sigma already.. meh!

Yep that'd be great pal, be up for that. Let me know when you hear more about it. :)

Edit: ahh it's the DO one is it? The green band would make sense now..

Ian

Focus TDCi
Feel like such a fool now, that's an expensive lens you trusted me with! Also explains the extra weight. Didn't really use it to its full potential as I don't see how it's possible to get a decent pan in within the confines of the pit lane fencing. Might have to treat myself to a new lens before we go again though.

As usual I've only found out the right settings after I've got back and as usual I'm itching to try again. Be interested to hear what settings you were on though later.

no worries mate, you seemed like a pretty reliable guy so didnt mine you having a bash with it. did get a tad worried when you disappeared though LOL! relief when you came strolling back over the hill!!

jamie

Mk2 ph1 clio
Heres one of mine mate, Not very clear tbh but this panning is still very new to me.

Mycarinmotion.jpg

Settings used (totaly wrong, i just realised)

F/16
1/125
ISO-400
190mm

Just read the motorsport thread.. will try again using the correct settings! :nono:

Ian

Focus TDCi
Motorsport thread is a life saver!

I don't know what to suggest with that photo pal, the settings don't look too far out? Did you use shutter priority? It looks quite sharp to me, just a bit noisy or something.

I'd also have a look at Nick and Chris' galleries, it's good to flick through and guess their settings and see if you're right lol :eek: (click the 'Photo info' button to bring up the EXIF data and then use left and right arrows to navigate):

dunganick
ukaskew

Mk2 ph1 clio
I was in manual! .. never thought of shutter priority.

I'll have a look before my next outing, wont be til at least saturday! or monday but thatsmy birthday so i'll probably be on my back before 12! hah.

Oil Burner
On that shot it looks like the focus is on the curb behind the car? Did you have the camera on Afc (i think on nikon) or Ai Servo for Canon. Also how Tightly is it cropped. The high Aperture is hiding it being slightly out of focus i think.

Hard to tell, but its not too far out.

Off to Brands now!