ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OSX Lion Thread

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Re: Lion to be released this evening?

I've just qualified for a free upgrade, even though I know that I'm out of the qualifying period?!

I got my MacBook Pro in late May ... maybe worth a try for people who are just out of the window?

1998 BMW e46 323i

I've just qualified for a free upgrade, even though I know that I'm out of the qualifying period?!

I got my MacBook Pro in late May ... maybe worth a try for people who are just out of the window?

How did you know you qualified?

I have a 3rd party file system driver installed so I can write to NTFS volumes. Lion has killed it. So basically all my external drives are now bricked in OSX. I can't even mount them let alone read or write to them. FFS Steve you clownshoe.

UNIT!

FYI, not that I care, but Chrome is also bricked. Two finger swiping for backwards/forwards no longer works. I have again (and this time finally) gone back to Safari, where the back/forward swipes are awesome!

Mostly I'm serial impressed with Lion, but I am pissed about NTFS-3G. Need to find a fix for this fast. Otherwise I'll have to copy files to my Bootcamp partition, then boot into Windows to move them to my NTFS drives. FFS.

Apparently Parallels doesn't work in Lion, despite them saying they support it on their site.

I think I'll update my iMac first, then wait to see if I get any issues first. I'd rather not encounter issues when I'm out and about with my MBP.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR

Yeah I had issues with Chrome in the GM build. So I went to using Firefox 5 which is pretty good in Lion. As for NTFS, someone will fix it soon, you'll just have to wait. That's what you get for updating straight away.

I have the latest iTunes and iPhoto builds and iCloud installed on mine with iOS 5 Beta 3 on my iPhone 4. It's COMPLETELY unusable but I keep submitting bug reports to Apple like a good little boy (I've been a beta tester for years for Apple/Microsoft).

Stop being so reasonable. Steve is a count for bricking NTFS-3G. It's high time they made OSX capable of writing to NTFS anyway.

I've gone back to the default 'natural' scrolling and will force myself to get used to it. It's otherwise a bit confusing with side swiping. Need to get used to it really as it's very IOS like for scrolling and swiping, but without a touch screen. Safari now seems to be offering alternative words just like in IOS. the way you go back and forth through web pages is epic!

57 Clio Campus Sport

If you're using iTunes Beta for iOS 5 think have to reinstall. Mines gone back to 10.3.1 after the update.

3 finger slide doesn't work on Chrome for back forward which is annoying. Maybe back to Safari until they fix that.

Already used to the opposite scroll, bit weird but works. Need a Magic Trackpad if you don't already.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR

Stop being so reasonable. Steve is a count for bricking NTFS-3G. It's high time they made OSX capable of writing to NTFS anyway.

I hear Microsoft's licensing costs for NTFS are pretty steep. lol

First thing I did was turn the scrolling off, because I use a Razer gaming mouse and the wheel going backward to scroll felt MENTAL. It's strange you can't set it to scroll one way on the mouse and another way on the track pad.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR

If you're using iTunes Beta for iOS 5 think have to reinstall. I just went to open iTunes and says my itl file from future version. Is there a way to find out software version without opening it?

Yes you just have to reinstall the iTunes beta. PM me if you want a link.

3 finger slide doesn't work on Chrome for back forward which is annoying. Maybe back to Safari until they fix that.

Already used to the opposite scroll, bit weird but works. Need a Magic Trackpad if you don't already.

Chrome is s**t. It's always been buggy and is pretty broken under Lion. Safari is now super awesome so I'm defo sticking with it. For now lol.

Yeah I am now starting to get used to the scrolling. You have to be in the mindset that you are moving what's in front of you, not moving your viewpoint relative to it. It's natural on an iPhone because you touch the screen. Not so natural on a computer but it's worth spending the time getting used to it.

57 Clio Campus Sport

Setting up programs on separate work areas and being able to swap between them with 3 fingers is cool...

3 fingers up for mission control is not nice. Preferred 4 fingers down in SL.

What is the best way to update my old safari bookmarks from Chrome?

Last edited:

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member

I've noticed while i have two desk tops open that it won't allow me to use safari twice... Shame

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member

Also while scrolling its very jumpy. Not very smooth like it used to be?

I can no longer see my Bootcamp partition in Finder either. Or is it always invisible without NFT-3G anyway?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

everything works for me, my 13" is well slow. time for an air.

Not noticing any smoothness issues so far on my 17". Seems about the same.

I'm pretty happy with my setup now apart from the bricked NTFS support. Really a PIA, as my Time Machine partition is on a drive that also has an NTFS partition, and I can't even mount the TM partition FFS. Some googling and possibly some waiting may be required. I can't even copy files over to my Bootcamp partition any more, because it's not visible in Finder :(

57 Clio Campus Sport

Ok as you said Safari is now pretty awesome with the 2 finger swipe to change pages. Wondering if there is a quick way to change tab without bettertouchtool.

Also just noticed you can have different wallpaper in different desktops. Although it's not quite that cool because when you "+" a desktop, it of course opens with the last selected wallpaper, but you can then change it and not affect your other desktops. Nice.

EDIT: Bug in Safari. If you make a post in a forum, then go back a page, then forward again, the post disappears unless you had already cmd+R before going back. Mental.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Restarted, its now exactly the same as it was with snow leopard. I'll stick 8gb in the MBP.

Jesus what a ball ache. Anyone using MacFuse/NTFS-3G should do some research before installing Lion.

I've had to use a load of Googled Terminal commands just to get my external drives mountable again. Then it came to light that my TM partition was bricked, so I'm using disc utility to repair that. Hopefully I'll soon be back the stage of OEM. Ergo readable but not writable NTFS. Then I can look at e another 3rd party driver that is known to work under Lion.

PIA. Not something most of you will have an issue with, but anyone using NTFS file systems with their Mac needs to know about these issues. Your s**t will be bricked. FYI.

57 Clio Campus Sport

Jesus what a ball ache. Anyone using MacFuse/NTFS-3G should do some research before installing Lion.

I've had to use a load of Googled Terminal commands just to get my external drives mountable again. Then it came to light that my TM partition was bricked, so I'm using disc utility to repair that. Hopefully I'll soon be back the stage of OEM. Ergo readable but not writable NTFS. Then I can look at e another 3rd party driver that is known to work under Lion.

PIA. Not something most of you will have an issue with, but anyone using NTFS file systems with their Mac needs to know about these issues. Your s**t will be bricked. FYI.

I'm using NTFS External which is being picked up fine...I have MacFuse and Paragon NTFS for Mac OSX...not sure if this helps at all...

Tuxera website says NTFS-3G should be compatible with Lion.

Just noticed it's read only...but I'm back on version 7, going to update now.

Last edited:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Just done my free upgrade, which went through instantly.

Love how things just work :)

Update. It has killed my Time Machine partition. Unrepairable. Needs formatting. FFS :D

WTF again. Time Machine is now working even though Disc Utility says it is bricked. FFS I need a drink :(

EDIT: And Finder thinks my external drive is a CD. f**k sakes...

57 Clio Campus Sport

@Roy Munson

Right upgraded to Paragon NTFS for Mac OSX 9 and now have full read/write on my external NTFS. Might be worth converting.

Also, just noticed Finder no longer tells you how much space is left on the drive as there is no bottom bar and also Macintosh HD no longer shows in finder.

Last edited:

Yeah thank you. I have installed Paragon NTFS and it's solved my last remaining problems. Full read/write with NTFS and amazingly, Disk Utility is now happy with the Time Machine partition. Phew. All seems stable now.

I'll use the system for a few days and once I'm happy, I'll wipe the TM partition and do a fresh backup.

Go to Finder preferences to set it up as it used to be BTW. Just tick the options you want in the sidebar.

57 Clio Campus Sport

Does this mean I can now get the iPhoto Beta and use Photo Streaming?

Answer: Yes but it won't work with my existing iPhoto Library.

Last edited:
  Citroen DS3 DSport

Downloading now, quoting 30 minutes which isn't bad. Fingers crossed the install doesn't kill my 13" MBP data.