ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ordered my coilovers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What information have they found out! Neither of them know what they have been quoted for and for some reason Dan R wont tell us how much he has paid.

We have found out that the units are of LEDA Origin, so we know what sort of quality that we are looking at. There are possibilities of 2 and 3 way adjustability. The only real problem is we have no firm prices.

Leda coilovers for 172/182 retailed for £1300, when they were available. GDI themselves sold them for that. If we have worked out from this convoluted thread they are Leda then surely they are way overpriced unless there is something different in there design/production.

Mk2 172
RIGHT! They are not made by an ex leda engineer. But im not sure who the guy is. To buy a set of the standard adjustable set of coilovers which are oil based twin tubes they are £1152+vat a set. not what dr howser was quoted for as he asked for something different. They use a mixture of different components from different manufactures including ohlins and nitron who make bike shocks etc. They use leda bodies but the internals including valves etc are nothing to do with leda. they are 24 way adjustable and are custom made for each and every car according to what you will be using the car for and what mods the car has. They have adjustable camber built in too.

Last edited:
They use leda bodies
oil based twin tubes
£1152+vat a set
they are 24 way adjustable
They have adjustable camber built in too.

Sound like Ledas to me :clown:

They sound like a good setup and well priced if they are anything like my twin tube, 24 way adjustable, camber adjustable, oil filled Ledas ;).

drhowser what had you been smoking when you phoned up GDI?

Mk2 172
Has that answered any questions. Like i said it wasnt up to me to give any info. If you need anymore then call andy and im sure he will be more than happy to talk to you :)

Mk2 172
They use leda bodies
oil based twin tubes
£1152+vat a set

They sound like a good setup and well priced if they are anything like my twin tube, 24 way adjustable, camber adjustable, oil filled Ledas ;).

Like i said. Just because they are in a leda body doesnt mean the internals have to be the same. the bodies have those adjusters already on there so they are likely to be similar in workings to the ledas. The internals however are not the same. some parts are machined to there spec and some are bought from different manufacturers.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Why didn't you just post that in the first place!!

Sounds great.

Mk2 172
They use leda bodies
oil based twin tubes
£1152+vat a set

Dr howser asked for gas and oil and remote resevoirs etc. different all together!

Dr howser asked for gas and oil and remote resevoirs etc. different all together!

OK.

You seem to disagree on whether or not they are made by an ex Leda engineer.
i've just spoken to gdi. they are being made by an ex leda engineer, from casings bought from the same place that leda used to buy from. and for a two way adjustable set you are looking at £2300...........
At the end of the day the Leda connection is a good thing I cant work out why you keep trying to highlight the fact they are not.

lift number 1 @ btm
fair enough, maybe i had the wrong end of the stick. or andy misunderstood me. but he did quote me what i have posted. and he definately told me they were built by his "mate who used to work for leda"
which to me can only be a good thing?

OK.

You seem to disagree on whether or not they are made by an ex Leda engineer.
i've just spoken to gdi. they are being made by an ex leda engineer, from casings bought from the same place that leda used to buy from. and for a two way adjustable set you are looking at £2300...........
At the end of the day the Leda connection is a good thing I cant work out why you keep trying to highlight the fact they are not.

okay, picture the scene Mark... you own a tuning company and are a smart chap (yeah yeah, I know it's far fetched ;) ), you bring out a product that is something you have developed yourself... so why would you then want to market it as something similar or the same as a Leda kit that you just spent all day removing to put your new and improved kit on? As Dan has said, the casings are the same as Leda use(d), but the kit itself is in a different league and is 100% fully customisable (is that even a word?), so giving a definative price is next to impossible with all the options.

but the kit itself is in a different league and is 100% fully customisable (is that even a word?), so giving a definative price is next to impossible with all the options.

Leda kits were also customisable. You had the base 2way oil kit which cost £xxxx you wanted gas then +£xxx to the base cost you want remote reservoir then +£xxx you want camber adjustment then +£xx which gives you a price.

Its a base cost + options approach which I imagine Andy is using.

Hes filled a gap in the market by providing a quality adjustable road/track coilover setup. It is not in a different league to Ledas it is a comparable product.

Leda have 30 years experience (see quotes) building suspension for race and road cars how do you think that compares to Andy and his mysterious engineer?

http://www.leda.com/index.htm

Some quotes from the Leda website-

Leda can build shock absorbers with various amounts of adjustment, for most applications. All our units are built by hand at our factory in the UK, and are all fully rebuildable and serviceable, meaning they can last the lifetime of the vehicle.

As everything we do is bespoke, it means that building a kit for a new vehicle, a car you have built yourself, or a special application is easy for us. We can build to your specification or to our own specification built up over 30 years of designing and building shock absorbers.

Our main supplier of coilsprings is Eibach, as we consider them to be the best spring designer and manufacturer there is.

Bump and rebound is adjusted by way of an adjuster knob on the side of the shock. Generally, this is set at a 3:1 ratio, but we can set it to whatever you want it to be. As our shocks use the 'twin-tube' system, the range from hard to soft is enormous. Mono-tube shocks have a much smaller range of adjustment, but we can make these too.

Adjustment is very easy to do, as the knob is designed with 24 positive 'clicks'. This makes it very simple for the user to know where the adjustment is set.

We also make a 'double adjustable' version, which means you can adjust bump and rebound independantly. Bump settings are adjusted on the gas canister, and rebound on the shock body. As both knobs have 24 positions, you effectively then have 576 (24x24) different settings to try.

Our newest version is a 3-way adjustable unit. This gives you high and low speed bump settings, and rebound. This is aimed at the Professional competitor.

okay, comparable, but better either way. They have one single MAJOR advantage over the Ledas, wont say what it is, but put it this way, going over bumps etc at speed the Ledas and every other coilover kit I have been in don't cope well. These do however due to an extremely clever bit of technology :)

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
It great to actually find out what you are getting. from the sounds of the kit and the options I think this could be a excellant seller.

I myself will be more than happy to put a set on the 172 track car which I am looking to get in the near future.

In terms of the clever bit of technology, this wouldnt be a special internal valve that allows fluid under extreme pressure to flow quickly from one side of the valve to the other ruducing the harsh feel that you get with many other kits.:S

These do however due to an extremely clever bit of technology :)

A mysterious piece of technology that no other manufacturers have yet discovered..!

{yawn}

who said that? don't put words in my mouth please

it's not mysterious, it just didn't work particularly well... I've been in the same car with both setups down the same set of roads, if you think these are the same, then great, keep believing it, alternatively go and see for yourself 1st hand. The offer has been there all along to go to a track and see for yourself.

Even Dan was slightly sceptical at first, but he did the sensible thing and went to see for himself if the product lived upto expectation... he's since ordered himself a set. Proof is in the pudding as they say, Andy's happy to put them to the test as stated a 1000 times but people seem more intent to pick holes instead of actually taking him up on the offer.

182 FF & 306 Rallye
I'm not keen to pick holes in the product but I am naturally sceptical of things I read on car forums! I was interested to hear more but the lack of info bored me and resulted in me buying a set of Bilsteins this week instead. Its ok if they want to keep info to themselves but may I suggest only starting a thread if you're willing to actually provide some information or start productive discussion (I realise Andy didnt start the thread.)

megan R26.R number 006
i have just ordered the same kit that is on Andy's car the pricing is as follows £1324 + vat that is for the dampers and camber bolts then £172 + vat for solid top mounts all built to the spec of the tyres that you will be using on track .

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
lol how far does it go? What about a set up for how much fuel is in your tank?

Lionel Richie
it is weird driving a perfectly setup car with a passenegr on board, mine use to steer to the left with a passenger, but go arrow straight with just me

megan R26.R number 006
it is weird driving a perfectly setup car with a passenegr on board, mine use to steer to the left with a passenger, but go arrow straight with just me
that's why i am not going to bother m8 its pontles for me as i have a varying range of people in my car on track days

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
on a road car, no need.

well if you speek to yoz he reconds that it is but presently i am not going to bother with having my car corner waited as (A) cost and (B) if you have a passenger in the car then it was all for nothing

I'd go with that. Make sure camber, tracking (toe) and height are sorted, and thats fine on the road imo :)

So
Dan r has paid £1152+vat a set
Homer Simpson has paid £1324 plus VAT
drhowser got quoted £2300

lol at the designed for the spec of tyres you are using comment ;) Can you explain the reasoning behind that? Surely car weight, wheel weight and track surface are far more important factors? What spring rates are getting then?

You might as well get your corner weights done. You are spending 1500£ why not spend an extra £50 and get them checked at least when you have your camber done.

Last edited:
  megan R26.R number 006
So
Dan r has paid £1152+vat a set
Homer Simpson has paid £1324 plus VAT and solid top mounts
drhowser got quoted £2300
lol at the designed for the spec of tyres you are using comment ;) Can you explain the reasoning behind that? Surely car weight, wheel weight and track surface are far more important factors? What spring rates are getting then?
You might as well get your corner weights done. You are spending 1500£ why not spend an extra £50 and get them checked at least when you have your camber done.

they are all difrent specs
dan r paid £1152+vat that is for oil filled dampers 2 way adjustable
i payed £1324+ vat for gas and oil filled dampers 2 way adjustable
drhowser was quoted £2300 vat ? i would think that was for gas and oil filled dampers 3 way adjustable
i have had the same kit that Andy has got the spring rates are 350 front and 700 rear .
but no kit is at one price or setting it all depends on what you are going to do with them and what tyres you want to run on track if any one whants to know more then give Andy a call at GDI he is very helpful and i am shore he will be more than happy to take any one that is interested out for a test drive in his car and for those of you that are sceptical give Andy a call and find out for your selves .
i spent over one hour at the FCS chatting with Andy about them and well over an hour on the phone when i ordered my kit .

megan R26.R number 006
as for the tyres if you have got toyo r888 they are a lot softer than standard road tyres as in the tread is softer but the side wall is harder on the r888 and it is the same with slicks

The primary objective of the spring is to keep the tyre contact patch loaded ie. keep the tyre 'pushed' onto the road when you hit bumps or ruts etc.

Too soft a spring and the wheel will oscillate or bounce. Too stiff and it will unload over a bump and might even completely lose contact with the surface.

There is quite a large range of spring rates, for a given car, that can maintain the contact patch so within that range you increase/decrease the rate to control body roll.

Another important factor is the stiffness between front and rear rates and using these to make the car under/oversteer more.

In motorsport you could have two team mates driving the same car but setting it up differently to suit there style, so its not an exact science providing the contact patch stays loaded and traction is maintained.

Is the car your road car aswell as very occasional track use? If so look at your road setup first and tweak the dampers when you get it on track.

IMO tyre choice does not dictate your spring rate choice. Not within the realms of a compromised road/track setup.

I have ran 200/250 fr/rr (very similar to a 182cup feel) and currently have 225/300 fr/rr with middle settings for the dampers this is still viable on the road but borderline down a bumpy country lane. I know somoeone else who has ran 275/300 for track which he maintained is still useable on the road with the correct damper settings.

Its all interesting stuff I recommend you have a read and have a play when you get them. Also gas filled is very much a race orientated option why did you go for them?

Corner weighting is done on the diagnols you will never get a 50/50 left to right weights heres my results from when I had my car done

Info from the corner weighting done on my car (full fat 182)

Total weight with about half a tank of fuel = 1102kg

The corner weights were

corner = before (after) kgs
LF = 346 (348)
LR = 193 (191)
RF= 362.5 (360)
RR = 201 (203)

It was very close before which was originally done by measuring the threads on the dampers.

Its right side heavy, by 24kg (in 1100kg so not much) possibly down to fuel tank position :
360 + 203= 563 Right
348 + 191 = 539 Left

But cross weights are equal
348 + 203 = 551
360 + 191 = 551

He said it was not worth jacking up one side of the car to re-distribute the side to side weight.

front to rear weight distribution
708kg front = 64%
394kg rear = 36%

Putting someone in the passenger seat increases weight on all wheels and is not enough to make a car steer noticebly in that direction!

megan R26.R number 006
The primary objective of the spring is to keep the tyre contact patch loaded ie. keep the tyre 'pushed' onto the road when you hit bumps or ruts etc.

Too soft a spring and the wheel will oscillate or bounce. Too stiff and it will unload over a bump and might even completely lose contact with the surface.

There is quite a large range of spring rates, for a given car, that can maintain the contact patch so within that range you increase/decrease the rate to control body roll.

Another important factor is the stiffness between front and rear rates and using these to make the car under/oversteer more.

In motorsport you could have two team mates driving the same car but setting it up differently to suit there style, so its not an exact science providing the contact patch stays loaded and traction is maintained.

Is the car your road car aswell as very occasional track use? If so look at your road setup first and tweak the dampers when you get it on track.

IMO tyre choice does not dictate your spring rate choice. Not within the realms of a compromised road/track setup.

I have ran 200/250 fr/rr (very similar to a 182cup feel) and currently have 225/300 fr/rr with middle settings for the dampers this is still viable on the road but borderline down a bumpy country lane. I know somoeone else who has ran 275/300 for track which he maintained is still useable on the road with the correct damper settings.

Its all interesting stuff I recommend you have a read and have a play when you get them. Also gas filled is very much a race orientated option why did you go for them?

i have gone for the same setup as Andy's car as it feels so good and well planted over the bumps as i have see and felt what the kit he has got on his car is like that's why i have gone for the gas filled ones and the same spring rates as what he has got i helped me make my mind up it makes a change to be able to see and feal what a coil over kit is like before you fit it to your car rather than what people tell you and as i probably will do more driving in my car on track than road but the kit that gdi have got is good on the road as well the set up that is on andy's car is in my opinion the kit for me and my car

Status
Not open for further replies.