ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Optimum gear - change indicator??? On a 182? I aint seen it?

Green light in the form of a gear stick.
Although I'd class that as the time to change because you're at the top of the rev range rather than optimum change :S

Edit: That page is for the 1*2. Not sure about the non-RS models.

Clio 182 FF + Cup Packs
lol oh wow - i never knew that! im such a n00b. Anyone had experience with it... does it just go on at red line or actual optimum?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just go out drive you car and bounce it on the rev limiter, you'll see it.

not really an optimum gear change as peak power is best point to change . Its more of a gear warning light .

BMW M3
I never see it as its a waste of time.

Im pretty sure yours will have it as i know the 1.2 rental i had did lol

It really isnt an 'optimum' indicator, and in the 182 at least your already way out the powerband if your getting the green light.

Its more of a 'change gear now as limiters coming !' indicator.

Edit: Beat me to it there kully lol

Last edited:
  Saab 93 Aero Wagon
In nearly 3 years i've found it once at the very end of 3rd gear.

Its not exactly the best thing to be repeatedly seeing IMO.

Green light in the form of a gear stick.
Although I'd class that as the time to change because you're at the top of the rev range rather than optimum change :S

True, but i blame renault for the confusion.

i remember in the early brochures, they actually referred to it as a "optimum" gear change indicator

It means you are about to go hurtling in the limiter, I prefer to call it the 't**t' light as if it illuminates you are driving like a t**t!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Even when it does come on I find it hard to notice it down there, especialy when your in T*AT mode. Only time I noticed it was when I first got the car and was trying things out or making mistakes with my changes:nono:

Even when it does come on I find it hard to notice it down there, especialy when your in T*AT mode. Only time I noticed it was when I first got the car and was trying things out or making mistakes with my changes:nono:
Did the engine noise not give it away that you were doing 7000 rpm ??

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Did the engine noise not give it away that you were doing 7000 rpm ??

It did but the first few times I floored it in 2nd, I found I was concentrating on the road and keeping the wheel straight on the cr_p roads my way that I kind of forgot about the gears once or twice:eek:

Lol at Martin_89

I've seen mine a limited few times in third but to be honest your better off changing before then anyway, you can feel when the powers fading out and thats I find around 6700-6900 on my car, plus if you have any mechanical sympathy you won't want to see your car hitting redline or bouncing of the limiter.

BMW bus
I panicked when i first saw it come on, I didnt know it was there, thought it was the engine warning light telling me i'd fecked it

D

dick

my 1.2 dont have it, i dont think, ive not hit the redline either yet and dont intend to to find out if i have a green led or not.

M

mini-valver

Nothing up with a bit of limiter action from time to time. Change acouple of hundred before th limiter and you'll be higher in the next gear which for me, is faster than dropping lower into the powerband.....