ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Online Photography Diploma

I've looked into these, a lot of reviews say they're a waste of time. But that one looks a tad different. I think I looked at the OU ones.

Evo 8 FQ300
I wouldnt bother altho they may make it sound good, ok for novice i spose but its nothing more than u can teach urself with the right know how and practice ur get there, if u want any advice on books and stuff holla me.
I would advise goin to college of art n design night classes than these online courses as there more hands on.;)

£550?! Are you mental?!

Spend £50 on fuel and go out next time Dan shoots a car. You'll learn far more.

Then spend the other £500 on a new lens and then shoot with it every single day. Every day.

Fiesta ST-3
Yea I did notice the price. That said it doesn't just focus on how to take a picture but how to become a freelance and everything that is involved. Not saying I want to become one but it would be nice to know how to.

Fiesta ST-3
Question for you Dan. Where did you learn your tricks of the trade? Everything I've learnt to present has been a direct result of people on here.

Oil Burner
Not sure what benefit that would be to you if you want a career in photography.

Even my degree, all it really did was get me to the top of the pile to be looked at, but i am still under anyone with an MA. I wish i had just gone and begged for a work placement to start with (what i've ended up doing anyway), could of saved lots of money and be in the same job with several years experience under my belt.

I'm not sure these degrees, or classes are anything other than a way of organisations making money or photographers earning a nice wedge on the side.

If they have a unit on business, marketing and accountancy then it might be worth it.

lol, nah Dan's fine ;)

Ummm....well. I guess from experience mostly. I know that sounds really clichéd, but that's the best way to learn in photography.

This is no disrespect to anyone on here, but some of my early 'shoots' looked similar to that of photos on here. But that's great for those people who go out there and do that, because next time you go out, you'll learn something that will improve your photos.

I did pick up a few tips from other forums, DeiselStation used to have a great photography section (it's still good) but it used to have the likes of Easton Change, Andy Wee, Scott Dukes etc on there. This was good for tips, but it was mostly on the subjective stuff, like composition.

I look back on some of my first 'automotive work', and it's shocking lol! Partly because I didn't have the same gear as I do now, but I made lots of silly mistakes, and fell into the amateur photography traps, like HDR.

Speaking of equipment, that's one main thing, and I don't really mean the camera. Any decent SLR will take awesome pics if you know how to use it, but if you want to do automotive work, then external lighting is a MUST. Even if it's as simple as a basic torch. That's what I used for the first time on that M3 car park shoot. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out for a first time, but I realise some mistakes I made, and next time I go out I'll try and improve on that.

I've been doing photography seriously for about 6 years, and experience is the only thing that will make you better. I still look back on photos I took when I started, they weren't brilliant by any means, but I wouldn't have made any progress without going out and taking those photos.

Going out with people who know what they're talking about is another really useful thing. When I met up with Steve (planetx), I learnt a few things that I never knew before, which was great.

Don't forget photography is a very personal thing too, so going out there and realising your 'mistakes' will help you progress and develop your style as a photographer too.

Fiesta ST-3
lol, nah Dan's fine ;)

Ummm....well. I guess from experience mostly. I know that sounds really clichéd, but that's the best way to learn in photography.

This is no disrespect to anyone on here, but some of my early 'shoots' looked similar to that of photos on here. But that's great for those people who go out there and do that, because next time you go out, you'll learn something that will improve your photos.

I did pick up a few tips from other forums, DeiselStation used to have a great photography section (it's still good) but it used to have the likes of Easton Change, Andy Wee, Scott Dukes etc on there. This was good for tips, but it was mostly on the subjective stuff, like composition.

I look back on some of my first 'automotive work', and it's shocking lol! Partly because I didn't have the same gear as I do now, but I made lots of silly mistakes, and fell into the amateur photography traps, like HDR.

Speaking of equipment, that's one main thing, and I don't really mean the camera. Any decent SLR will take awesome pics if you know how to use it, but if you want to do automotive work, then external lighting is a MUST. Even if it's as simple as a basic torch. That's what I used for the first time on that M3 car park shoot. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out for a first time, but I realise some mistakes I made, and next time I go out I'll try and improve on that.

I've been doing photography seriously for about 6 years, and experience is the only thing that will make you better. I still look back on photos I took when I started, they weren't brilliant by any means, but I wouldn't have made any progress without going out and taking those photos.

Going out with people who know what they're talking about is another really useful thing. When I met up with Steve (planetx), I learnt a few things that I never knew before, which was great.

Don't forget photography is a very personal thing too, so going out there and realising your 'mistakes' will help you progress and develop your style as a photographer too.

Thank you for taking the time to write that mate :star:

No worries, I just started and then go into my stride lol! I hope it doesn't come across patronising or anything like that. Just my 2c :)

Lol. Yeah, I am Dan too.

I'm going to pretend you're talking to me! :D

Just practice. I started (and failed) a 365 and while it does push you a bit creatively and you end up taking pics of Lego everyday, it does get you learning the camera. Handing the camera every day is the best way to learn. I don't think I've touched mine since I took fireworks pics. Awful really.

Plus I never took any notice of the 'rules' like the rule of thirds etc. I just shoot what I like. Shoot how I like. My photos are far better now than they were but there's a long long long way to go.

If in doubt, depth of field ;)

Fiesta ST-3
Lol. Yeah, I am Dan too.

I'm going to pretend you're talking to me! :D

Just practice. I started (and failed) a 365 and while it does push you a bit creatively and you end up taking pics of Lego everyday, it does get you learning the camera. Handing the camera every day is the best way to learn. I don't think I've touched mine since I took fireworks pics. Awful really.

Plus I never took any notice of the 'rules' like the rule of thirds etc. I just shoot what I like. Shoot how I like. My photos are far better now than they were but there's a long long long way to go.

If in doubt, depth of field ;)

Lol good advice also. Cheers Dan. Believe it or not I like taking pictures, posting them on here and being told what is wrong. Because it gives me some thing to take away and work on.

Have a look on flickr for whatever it is you want to shoot. People/flowers/cars/splashes or whatever. Most still have the EXIF on so you can see how it's done. Then try and copy it.

I need to get back into it. Now I have a car I like it's more likely! Lol. Need to get some sort of torch like Dan uses too.