ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Olympus DSLRs

Does anyone on here other than me use one? I know there are a few Nikon and Canon users, but havent noticed anyone saying they use Olympus.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
I bought an E400 in April, took some fantastic pics, but wanted new lenses, which were like hens teeth, so flogged it last month and bought a 400d which seems easier to find lenses for.

There are plenty of lenses available and second hand lenses are easy to pick up if you know where to look.

Hate the 400d, feels so cheap

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
never ever tried one.

always been a nikon man...samsung gx-1?? is a good camera :D

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
There are plenty of lenses available and second hand lenses are easy to pick up if you know where to look.

I couldn't find a 70-300mm anywhere for decent money?

Had them both for a while (until I sold the olympus) and prefer the feel of the canon, the olympus was a b**ch to get hold of properly

I couldn't find a 70-300mm anywhere for decent money?

Had them both for a while (until I sold the olympus) and prefer the feel of the canon, the olympus was a b**ch to get hold of properly

70-300 has only just been anounced...

I presume you mean the Olympus equivalent to the canon 70-300 which is the 50-200 (Olympus is 2x crop not 1.6x) and thats about £650 new, but is some of the best quality glass you can buy. You can get a 40-150mm which is a lot cheaper at about £180 new.

you are paying for the quality of glass though. the 40-150 is a good cheaper alternative. Sigma do one I think not sure what the price is on that though

hmmmm never tried one but not a fan looking at the E system on paper. Ultrade wide comes at a considerable cost, infact 30D+10-22 is less than the 7-14mm on its own :S

does the quality glass make up for the smaller sensor?

Olympus gave me an E-400 for free and I sold it within a month or so :) In all seriousness though, as a standard DSLR I found it pretty good and the image quality from the kit lens was superb, I just couldn't cope with the handling (it was too small) and the choice of lens was quite restrictive if you are on a tight budget (the high-end lens' are exellent, but the choice at the cheaper end is limited compared to Nikon and Canon)

The E-1 is still a stunning piece of kit though, virtually every war photograph taken in the past 4 years has come from that camera, and despite "only" being 5MP it's still the camera of choice today, if it's bomb-proof you need you've got the right camera ;)

I tried to get hold of one a while ago to use as a weather-proof second body to use with the stunning Olympus 50-200 2.8 (absurd length when you convert it to 35mm equivalent) but decided to go with a Nikon D200 instead because I struggled to find a good second-hand one.

1.8 Civic EX
Olympus gave me an E-400 for free and I sold it within a month or so :) In all seriousness though, as a standard DSLR I found it pretty good and the image quality from the kit lens was superb, I just couldn't cope with the handling (it was too small) and the choice of lens was quite restrictive if you are on a tight budget (the high-end lens' are exellent, but the choice at the cheaper end is limited compared to Nikon and Canon)

The E-1 is still a stunning piece of kit though, virtually every war photograph taken in the past 4 years has come from that camera, and despite "only" being 5MP it's still the camera of choice today, if it's bomb-proof you need you've got the right camera ;)

I tried to get hold of one a while ago to use as a weather-proof second body to use with the stunning Olympus 50-200 2.8 (absurd length when you convert it to 35mm equivalent) but decided to go with a Nikon D200 instead because I struggled to find a good second-hand one.

to me lol!! I love it...not used any other DSLR's other than the Nikon D80 and as I'm new to the whole DSLR thing but I can't really tell much difference between the two pic quality wise...great camera it is...just got a sigma 55-200 lens which is great..sooo much better than the 18-44 kit lens..

some pics (with the olympus lens, haven't used the Sigma one much yet)

P7150356.gif

P7140112.gif

P6130102copy.jpg

Bomb proof is definately what I need! lol. Its a great camera, jsut want to get some of the better lenses for it. Currently own the 14-45 and 40-150 but get use of a sigma 30mm f/1.4 aswell. Is the only lens of my dads he lets me take out the house lol.

Samples of my work:

Still_before_the_storm_by_StuMac1985.jpg

Cane_B_W_by_StuMac1985.jpg

Crouching_by_StuMac1985.jpg

The_Shires_by_StuMac1985.jpg

Gallery: http://stumac1985.deviantart.com/gallery

See My Clio? Tell Me
i use to own the e-400 too, but due to the same problems of getting decent lens cheap i flogged it on ebay only lost a tenner on it too. Now have the canon 400d, i was after the nikon d80 but judt alittle too much out of my price range.