ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

old prime lenses

So I've been having a gander at old primes for my D3100, I can't afford a newer prime at the moment due to the car needing a cambelt and brakes.
Now I know there won't be any autofocus and I'd need to adjust aperture manually so that's not a problem.
Basically I'd like to know if it's going to be worth the 30-40 quid for one.

Regarding use, I do a bit of everything except portraits, Night photography being my favourite, along with small projects like water droplets and the typical car shots.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I still have some sigma len's (not DX) and used to use them, but tbh the lack of autofocus started to become a pain so I just got some new dx format lenses and having ouch the others since. you might find the same.

I don't use the camera regularly though, and I've got a couple old lenses that obviously aren't able to autofocus and it doesn't really bother me. I was thinking more along the lines of Image quality.

Also, apparently (so I've read) the bokeh isn't all that on older primes, is this true?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I cant comment on that. keep in mind the crop ratio when buying older lenses though as that is sometimes overlooked (i.e. a 100mm non-dx lens wont be 100mm on your camera).

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I've got an old Vivitar 28mm f2.8 that I use now and again.
Think I only paid around 20 for it and probably 20 for the Canon fitment adapter.
Should start using it more as it's a fairy good lens. Will also look at some other Vivitar ones too I think maybe some wider ones if I can get them cheap.

I've got a fujifilm f2.8 macro lens that I got from a car boot sale, for a fiver! It's quite a nice lens to use, bit beaten up externally but it functions perfectly. There's a guy who sells on ebay only a few streets away too but he rarely has anything worth buying which is a shame.