ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oils

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Just wondering what oil type and grade you use and how often you change it.
Last year I was using Elf 5W 40 and changing it after every full trackday.
Would I be better off getting a better quality 5W 40 and changing it every second or third trackday

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I allways change the oil after every day, not that i do many. I get it free in work which is handy. I use a good 5-40 and has never let me down. What oil are you using now?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I think if your doing lots of days its 10-60? but don't quote me. Ive allways used 5-40, but like i say i dont do many

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I'd probaly opt for a better grade oil, thats what i will be doing if i end up doing more days. im sure its 10-60 people go for.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Millers Nanodrive, Never felt the need to change it after every track day either. High end oils are good enough that you don't need to.
Yeah I agree. Decent oil lasts a very long time. I used Nanodrive as well, change every 10k. Previously have used fuchs titan pro (or whatever it's called) 5w40 and I couldn't knock it.

Ever since using asda oil in my first car and the majority of it coming out of the exhaust I've never used rubbish oil again. Nanodrive is 0.002p more per mile than halford oil..........

Renault Clio 172
Ive always changed my engine and gearbox oil just before a trackday using manufacturer recommend grade and specification, opie oils are good for recommending grades for different useage but unless its highly tuned i would think they would suggest keep using 5w40

on a cold engine with cold oil, no warming up just jump in and drive that will surely be high pressure
not a problem if you warm the oil up a bit first though
hot idle pressure will be ok with the thicker oil ,as you said the engines are fairly poorly matched to the oil pumps

have you done the pump mods you were on about with the shimmed relief spring?
think i am going to skim the faces of the pump to up the pressures, Dan was saying he seen 15% better oil pressures iirc

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
on a cold engine with cold oil, no warming up just jump in and drive that will surely be high pressure
not a problem if you warm the oil up a bit first though
hot idle pressure will be ok with the thicker oil ,as you said the engines are fairly poorly matched to the oil pumps

have you done the pump mods you were on about with the shimmed relief spring?
think i am going to skim the faces of the pump to up the pressures, Dan was saying he seen 15% better oil pressures iirc
They vary so much mate even on cold idle. The oil pumps ain't the be all either - trust me, there's substantially more reasons why they have w**k oil pressure.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the oil pump can't be improved because it can and its a worthwhile mod to do/have done, but there's other areas that cause issues. Some of them you can't get rid of because it's in the design of the 172/182 engine itself.
Not shimmed my op yet - job for when the proper engine gets built and fitted mate.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
With oil cooler 5W50, without oil cooler 10W60.

Renault spec 10W60 for all the F4R powered Cup racers but they don't run a cooler. If you run a decent air to air coil cooler 5W50 is fine.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Put it this way, it won't do any harm.

Although I'd lean towards 5W50 depending on how occasional the track use is. Also it depends whether it'll be getting used over winter too as then you may find the 10W a little more tappy than the 5W on startup.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
That doesn't cool the oil as quickly so makes sense they ran 10w60. More constant temperature but will generally be closed to 100 compared with 80 of an air cooled setup. 100 is a good temperature though.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
That doesn't cool the oil as quickly so makes sense they ran 10w60. More constant temperature but will generally be closed to 100 compared with 80 of an air cooled setup. 100 is a good temperature though.
I'd comfortably run oil temps of 110 - 120 degrees tbh mate. The oil will stand it and it also boils off the water/condensation that accumulates. A good quality oil is a must though.