ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil - You get what you pay for!

Hi
Don't get confused by an oil being made by the same people as being the same thing. For example, there are three different types of synthetic basestocks, so there can be a big difference between the basic make up of oils, even though the labels essentially say the same thing.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech-articles/Basestock-categories-and-Descriptions.pdf

As you can see from that, oils labelled as synthetic can be mineral oil derived, proper genuine synthetics or ester based synthetics, all of which affect the price. Shell have thrown a spanner in the works with that classification as they now use a different method to produce the group 3 oils, which uses gas as the raw material and reduces the level of impurities in the finished product, so in theory the Shell group 3 basestock is pretty good stuff.

Another way of affecting the price of an oil is to alter the additive package.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech-articles/Oil-Additive-Package.pdf

The additive pack is a very important part of the oil and can greatly affect the oils properties, but it can be reduced in quality or quantity to reduce the production costs. That can mean that the oil will not last as long or work as well.

Quality control affects the price and quality, the more samples are tested during production, the more it costs, but the more likely it is to be what it says on the label. Some cheap oils have been found to be well out of grade (one of the worst I've heard of was something that was supposed to be a 5w-40 was actually a 20w-40).

Paying for the name is one way of looking at it, the other way is reassurance due to a trusted brand. Yes, Castrol, Shell and Mobil can be expensive, but everyone knows those brands and very few people have ever had problems with them. Some of the smaller brands are less well known and people don't know how good their products will be. That's not to say they won't be fine, but paying an extra few quid for peace of mind can be worth it.

Actual manufacturer approvals can cost a lot of money and that adds to the price of an oil, so a lot of manufacturers sell oils as 'meets the requirements of XXXX' or 'Can be used where XXXX is specified'. You then have to trust the oil manufacturer that the oil is actually suitable for the application, rather than the oil being approved. Don't risk that with cars under warranty, pretty much all manufacturers will void a warranty if the wrong oil is used. Some dealerships are testing the oil before they look at engine issues now, as if the oil is incorrect, they may be able to get out of doing the work.

Companies like Castrol, Fuchs, Mobil etc will make oils for other companies, but it won't be the same as their own oils. I don't deal with Comma so can't say much. They aren't a bad option and it does sound like good value. We have the ESP on offer at the moment, so it's a fair bit less than £14 a litre (£6.59 to the public or £5.93 with the Cliosport discount) when bought in a 5L can.
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-6362-mobil-1-esp-5w-30-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

With that engine, when in a Mini, the BMW approved oils come in 0w-30, 5w-30, 0w-40 and 5w-40 grades. Personally, I don't see the issue in using one of the BMW 5w-40s as that would reduce the consumption.

Cheers

Tim

peugeot 308 1.6 vti
Thanks Tim. I'm also very tempted by millers xf 5/30 c again designed for psa engines.? I see ope sell this?

Peugeot 308
Thanks Tim. I'm also very tempted by millers xf 5/30 c again designed for psa engines.? I see ope sell this?

You can also get the Total Oil 5-40 from Peugeot dealers, as suggested, at a cheaper rate than the 5-30.

Older oil but never had any issues with it, even used it in an old 106 gti track car and it held on pretty well (Despite turning to water when under extreme punishment).

Paulstewart20

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio sport cup 172
Hi this is my first post but I have 5w30 castrol fully syn would this be OK to run in my 172 107,000 miles cheers

Silver 172 cup
What sort of quality is Granville oil? Just bought some fully synthetic 5W/40 for the Clio 172

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I got all this above for £32 delivered from Paul Temperton @renaultpartsdirect

@MrBlonde

2016-12-26_04-27-00.jpg

Clio F1 197 Cup
@oilman
Hi Tim,

Really interesting write up and thanks for sharing, I have been using Shell Helix 'Fully Synthetic' under the impression it was a good oil- interesting to now know about the hydrocracking and different groups. Looking through the Groupings on OpieOils, under Group 5 you have Gulf Competition at £37 for 5 Litres and then for example, Millers NanoDrive at £59 for 5 litres and then the Fuchs Race Pro S at (currently) £50 for 5 litres plus 1 litre top up. What are main dividers between these oils? I have seen you speak highly of all three but I am just trying to understand the potential benefits of the Fuchs/Millers because the Gulf seems cracking value to me! I was pretty much paying that price for the Shell oil!!!

Currently have three cars to put oil in:

1996 MX5 with 80k
2005 182 with 72k
2007 197 with 9k

Thinking that I should put Millers in the 197, Fuchs in the 182 and Gulf in the MX5! Haha, what do you reckon?

Cheers,
Tom.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
The millers nano is bloody good stuff
I always find opie oils ebay site is cheaper.
But I bought off them recently and they price beat another cheaper company.

I've always found it needs more than 5.
I left mine jacked up overnight at a angle towards the sump plug to drain.
Filled up with 5 litres the day after and took it for a drive.
Check the oil the following morning in the garage with a level floor and its 1 mm below the max.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Hi @oilman

Do you guys do Motul?

I need some brake fluid for my Ducati. I only really use Motul, it's great stuff. Engine oil wise my bike runs a hell of a lot better and smoother on Motul than it did the recommended shell!

@oilman
Hi Tim,

Really interesting write up and thanks for sharing, I have been using Shell Helix 'Fully Synthetic' under the impression it was a good oil- interesting to now know about the hydrocracking and different groups. Looking through the Groupings on OpieOils, under Group 5 you have Gulf Competition at £37 for 5 Litres and then for example, Millers NanoDrive at £59 for 5 litres and then the Fuchs Race Pro S at (currently) £50 for 5 litres plus 1 litre top up. What are main dividers between these oils? I have seen you speak highly of all three but I am just trying to understand the potential benefits of the Fuchs/Millers because the Gulf seems cracking value to me! I was pretty much paying that price for the Shell oil!!!

Currently have three cars to put oil in:

1996 MX5 with 80k
2005 182 with 72k
2007 197 with 9k

Thinking that I should put Millers in the 197, Fuchs in the 182 and Gulf in the MX5! Haha, what do you reckon?

Cheers,
Tom.
5w-40 will be ideal for that lot.

There is little difference between the oils, the Gulf is very well priced purely because it was how Gulf could see they could get into the group V market by being the best value and that does not take anything away from the quality of it.

The Millers CFS Nanodrive is the most expensive as this has their magic nano additive to reduce friction and it is expensive stuff apparently.

Cheers

Guy

Clio F1 197 Cup
Brilli
5w-40 will be ideal for that lot.

There is little difference between the oils, the Gulf is very well priced purely because it was how Gulf could see they could get into the group V market by being the best value and that does not take anything away from the quality of it.

The Millers CFS Nanodrive is the most expensive as this has their magic nano additive to reduce friction and it is expensive stuff apparently.

Cheers

Guy
Brilliant, thanks for that guy, do I order with yourself? Or off the website?

Some very interesting posts to read on here. Thanks for sharing @oilman

So I can't go wrong with this oil then for my 182 track car with cams and ITB's? I've been buying it from you for the past few years :)
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68897-fuchs-titan-race-pro-s-5w-40-ester-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68897-fuchs-titan-race-pro-s-5w-40-ester-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx
I use this in the Porsche:
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68959-mobil-1-0w-40-new-life-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

And this in the Audi TT:
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-6362-mobil-1-esp-5w-30-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

Any issues with any of them??

I have got some Triple QX 5W-30 that Euro Car Parts gave me for free when I complained once. I wouldn't use this in my cars listed above, but might it be safe to use in the gfs Mini 2004 Cooper which gets driven like a granny? Or would it still not be worth it?

Cheers

Some very interesting posts to read on here. Thanks for sharing @oilman

So I can't go wrong with this oil then for my 182 track car with cams and ITB's? I've been buying it from you for the past few years :smile:
I use this in the Porsche:
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68959-mobil-1-0w-40-new-life-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

And this in the Audi TT:

Any issues with any of them??

I have got some Triple QX 5W-30 that Euro Car Parts gave me for free when I complained once. I wouldn't use this in my cars listed above, but might it be safe to use in the gfs Mini 2004 Cooper which gets driven like a granny? Or would it still not be worth it?

Cheers
Those oils are all spot on for the cars they are in! No issues there, all top brands.
The tripple QX... Yep, if you want to use it up the Mini will be fine :)
Cheers
Guy

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
How do you rate this oil?.ive been using it in my 172 for the last 3 years with no problems,but may change on my next oil change,what do you recommend for a mid range oil please mate?

IMG_0095.PNG
IMG_0094.PNG