ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Leak - Pic Inside

RB 182 FF
Hi,

After a couple of 300-500 mile journeys my oil lindicator said the oil was low. I checked it on the dipstick and it wasn't on the low marker but not too far off either so I gave it a top up of about 500ml to see how that went.

The trip computer oil indicator now really varies it's reading sometimes saying its full sometimes about half, I guess this depends on if the car is warm cold/been stood for a few days etc.

On the dipstick it displays about half full which I thought was still a bit low but I am not sure how much oil it should take to go from quite low to nearly full?

Anyway - it's always had a bit of oil on the sump which I didnt think was a massive issue however now I'm wondering if its leaking more than I thought and particularly on long journeys. Its quite wet towards the back but never drips - which makes me think it leaks when the engine is running. Once or twice when I have really put my foot down for a few minutes I think I can faintly smell the oil burning off.

I've read these leak from the rocker cover gasket but ive had a look around and there are a few drips up this high but nothing too concerning. Is there anywhere else they tend to leak from? I had look under a few 182s and they all seem to have a bit of a stain on the bottom (although I also noticed I'm missing an undertray cover).

I just wanted to see whether I should just keep my eye on this/is it normal?

Oil.jpg

Also - the gear selector has a reasonable coating of gearbox oil - should I be worried about this? Again it's not dripping, I am thinking of having the gearbox oil changed at the next service anyway.

Thanks
NJ

S3, Polo
Checked obvious things like how tight the sump plug is?

Most seem to have a bit of a weep around the gear selector, so I'd not be *too* concerned about that. Keep an eye on it just in case, you should be able to tell if it's gearbox oil - gear oil smells of cat pee.

If I were you, I'd get it up on stands, give the whole area a wash down with some brake fluid, wipe it down and ensure it's all dry, go for a good run, come home and inspect it to see if it helps you identify the source (or at least narrow the region it's coming from down).

Oh, and I've just noticed my undertray's missing too.

RB 182 FF
Thanks for the reply - I guess its got to go back up onto the ramps! I hope it is something simple like the sump plug, but we will see.

Thats not from the sump plug i would put my money on the sump gasket,or the rear of the rocker cover and its dripping down the back of the block

RB 182 FF
Thanks for the replies.

Blargh - both of those jobs are expensive especially having had the timing belt done a few months ago.

Would you bother getting it sorted or just keep an eye on it - the moment it starts dripping on the drive it's game over but for now its definitely not since the car sits there 4days a week and no drips. Must only be when the car is running.

To check the rear of the rocker cover, can I just undo the engine cover and take a peek or do I need to get it on the ramp?

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sump isnt very hard to do, only takes me a couple of hours (if the bolts havent been rounded by a previous owner of course, lol), you dont even need to undo the subframe, just lift the engine up to get clearance to get it off

Put some ARP rod bolts in while its off too.