ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil+filter service

Skoda Fabia VRS
So I'm servicing the car tomorrow and I'm wondering if anyone has used this particular tool for the removal of the oil filter before.

db24baa0f1.jpg

It's only £4.49 from Halfrauds, so I'm not too worried if it's not brilliant, but is it suffice to use? Also am I correct in thinking a general 8mm square socket is the correct one to drain the oil?

One last one, to get the fuel rail guard off. What tool/socket size/attachment will I need exactly to get it off? As I've had a nose about, and it seems quite awkward to remove.

Cheers.

Skoda Fabia VRS
8mm square for the sump plug and that tool will work but I found them to be a right nightmare, the chain kept slipping and just ground the paint off, I bought one of these claw things that I found easy to use.
1435741618955a?$pd_main_v2$.jpg

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...h-claw-type-63-103mm-capacity-3-8-1-2sq-drive
I was looking at them previously, but not sure if it would be in stock for tomorrow as I'm leaving for Cornwall Sunday (not in the Clio, just wanted it done on my free day). I'll give the local a call in the morning to find out, thanks Dave.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Try getting it off by hand as they should be hand tight. Failing that you could use a long screwdriver and pierce it with and use it as a lever.

Old skool style!
I've heard good and bad stories with that one! I've also been out of the gym for a year, so I maybe a little too feeble hahaha.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I was looking at them previously, but not sure if it would be in stock for tomorrow as I'm leaving for Cornwall Sunday (not in the Clio, just wanted it done on my free day). I'll give the local a call in the morning to find out, thanks Dave.
Tbh any tool is better than nothing, you'll never get it off by hand.

Try getting it off by hand as they should be hand tight. Failing that you could use a long screwdriver and pierce it with and use it as a lever.

Old skool style!
I thought I could just He-Man it off with my hand, but despite having put the old one on by hand, it had formed an incredibly tight seal that I thought even the tool wasn't going to move, i've also tried the screwdriver technique in the past and all that happened was the metal gave way before the seal did and tore a massive gaping hole in it and the remaining oil in the filter went all over the place.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Your just too heavy handed Dave. I've never had an issue doing it that way. They have been tight, but they have always come off.

I'm only a weed too ;)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
It's certainly worth trying with your hands before you go out and buy something. It's free to try and you can actually wedge your hand behind the fuel rail guard (although it's only 2x 10mm nuts to remove it) and will only take you 5 mins to check.

Skoda Fabia VRS
It's certainly worth trying with your hands before you go out and buy something. It's free to try and you can actually wedge your hand behind the fuel rail guard (although it's only 2x 10mm nuts to remove it) and will only take you 5 mins to check.
I'm still trying to figure out what socket set/ratchet will gain access to the fuel rail guard without me having a hissy fit. I'll give it a shot by hand in the morning, see if these guns are up to the challenge! 🔨

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Leaving the fuel rail guard in place is the hardest way of doing it, there's no bloody space to get in there as it is, leaving it in place makes it damn near impossible to remove the thing.

A small socket extension will do the trick, but you'll have to put it in there by hand, then connect the handle separately.

Track 172 Cup
I did my oil/filter the other day and for some reason my fuel rail guard nuts were 13mm I tried a 10mm one for ages with no joy and went up to 13mm untill it started too loosen the nuts. And swapped my sump plug for a magnetic one http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-83976-g...ain-sump-plug-for-renault-vehicles-ap-10.aspx I only bought the sump plug as it was so much for delivery or if i added the sump plug worked out an extra £7-8 so thought meh why not. And i forgot i didnt have the 8mm sqaure drive sump plug tool so cut down some 8mm key steel we had lying around in work and it fitted perfect juts put a socket over the end and whipped it off.

@SimpleJoee I used one of these http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-74258-cup-oil-filter-wrench-76mm-12-flutes.aspx

Last edited:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I prefer to make my life easier rather than slicing the skin on my masculine forearms because I was too lazy to remove the fuel rail guard.

Im just saying it can be done, but I'd remove it anyway. Like you say it's just laziness as its only 2 nuts!

I did my oil/filter the other day and for some reason my fuel rail guard nuts were 13mm I tried a 10mm one for ages with no joy and went up to 13mm untill it started too loosen the nuts.

Mine could be 13mm, I can't remomber. Its either one of thoses lol

Skoda Fabia VRS
So 20 minutes later my basket has gone up to £98. Fed up of scouring for my dads tools in the shed, cupboard, and man drawers. So might pick up the 120 piece socket set, 80 smackers!

Skoda Fabia VRS
I've quit my previous job in line of starting an Apprenticeship in two weeks, money is a slight issue atm as a month odd without pay is baaaaaad coming from weekly pay!

Skoda Fabia VRS
I'm a man who refuses to pay an extra 5p for sauce in McDonalds, you maybe surprised.

jk I'll pick one up, always come in handy.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
It'll cost you more in fuel going back to get the extension that you didn't buy in the first place rather than getting it on top of your case purchase ;)

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
There is no f*cking way any of you benders would have been able to remove my filter, the claw thing damn near crushed it in to a cube before it even moved an inch, if you can undo your filter by hand then it wasn't tight enough in the first place.

Skoda Fabia VRS
I tried to gear head way, filter was too tight (or my test levels have dropped, and I've received an estrogen boost), so used the pliers, worked well!

Clio II 172 RS Ph1
This is one of the funniest threads I have seen so far here hahahha. Gave me a good laugh 😂
But, I also use the screwdriver method if it's really stuck. He-Man method first (preferably with 2 hands with proper mechanic gloves) and if that fails (damn Skeletor!) then the screwdriver method.

I always hand tighten it when replacing it. Never failed me in the past on different cars that I have serviced. I'm with Dr Jekyll on this one :smile::up: