ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil filter 182. What way does it undo?

1.6 ZS + Clio 182 FF
Doing a service, managed to get it off last year and I did it hand tight but for some reason it isnt budging. What way is it to undo? Not sure if its normal threaded or left hand thread.

Thanks

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Normal thread. If it won't budge by hand (which is unlikely) you'll need an oil filter tool. It should come off easily with that.

Corsa VXR
I did mine at the weekend, same problem. It was on solid, I managed to get a small strap wrench in there.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Mine was on well f**king tight. I tried three different styles of removal tools before saying "f**k it" and getting a big screwdriver out.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Try oil filters on boats lol.

If you can't get it to budge with the tool, whack a screwdriver through it. And when you get the new one, smear some oil on the seals before fitting.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Try oil filters on boats lol.

If you can't get it to budge with the tool, whack a screwdriver through it. And when you get the new one, smear some oil on the seals before fitting.

Take no notice of this - screwdriver through the filter. Remove the fuel rail guard to get better access and use the proper tool. Hand tighten it.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I put screw drivers through filters all the time, what i will say is, you need to be 100% you're going to get it off lol.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I've had to smash a couple off with a big screwdriver/pry bar. Very last resort though, I've got loads of different removal tools to try first

dan's cast offs.
in best part of 30 years i've never resorted to mashing a screw driver through a filter, only animals do this, simple as!!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I've had to smash a couple off with a big screwdriver/pry bar. Very last resort though, I've got loads of different removal tools to try first

As I said before, IF THE TOOLS FAIL, use a screwdriver. In the last instant I had to do it the filter was crumpling like a tin can with the filter claw on it, absolutely destroyed a chain wrench and nothing else could grip it. Mind you this was on a much bigger engine than a F4R.

Last edited:
  DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
in best part of 30 years i've never resorted to mashing a screw driver through a filter, only animals do this, simple as!!
Well after over an hour of trying lots of different tools and nothing moving at all, it was literally the last resort. I can't think of more than 5 or 6 times in 18 years of working on cars that I've had to do it though.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
A mate of mine used a strap thing to get mine off once, wouldn't budge but came a piece of piss with the strap. And the fuel rail guard was still on lol.

Edit, sorry pointless input, I was on page 1 still.