ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Coolers for Valvers

The Jinx

Does anyone do any oil coolers for the valvers?

On a connected note, does anyone know why when my car runs at usually 100 even when thrashing it down normal roads, it soars to above 120 on the motorway even doing just 70mph?

mine runs max 100 with mobil 1, currently have magnatec which is going very soon as runs to 120 like yours..

with mobil 1 15w50 mine ran over 120 on the track compares to over 10 deg lower on elf semi. The ester bases in Mobil arent that good really.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Simular subject - oil pressure.

When I start up it seems fine, slowly moves up to nearly three bar, it goes up to three above 4k rpms. But as the engine gets warmer it seems to sit right at the bottom at idle and rarely goes above two bar on full poke?

Temps fine, never goes above 100.

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Mine sits at 90-100 on normal driving 110max when gunning it. 5w50 millers fully sin. Williams fan, low temp thermostat and fan switch keeps it nice and cool. As its a water cooled oil cooler its good to keep the coolant temp down.

Quote: Originally posted by mike8579 on 17 May 2004

Does anyone do any oil coolers for the valvers?
Mocal do them.

You can get them from Demon Tweeks.

Do a search and youll find everything you need to know. What size cooler and what bits you need etc.

Ive had mine fitted for about 4/5 months now (by Nick at HillPower - Highly Recommended!) and I couldnt live without it now.

Ive never had the oil over 100 since it was fitted and it was only that high after a good 5mile race with someone.

A well worthwhile mod in my opinion.....

TDI tyre shreader

All you need is a sandwich plate, couple of pipes and a cooler of the correct size, oh and maybe a thermostat

try mocal for coolers and plates or get your self a cooler and make your own setup ive got a rover 2.0 td cooler its very nice fits down behind front bumper ive got a spare for sale it needs pipes £25 pm me

The Jinx

What oil you using Bondy? (PMd BTW)

Also which cooler did you use Tom. Just had a quick look at the Mocal ones. It suggests a 10 row one, but theres 2 sizes.

Bear in mind I dont know a great deal. I could do with knowing how Id fit one and everything.

[Edited by mike8579 on 17 May 2004 at 5:38pm]

13 row is what you want, with a thermo.

MGB oil coolers can be had dead cheap and come with 1/2" bsp fittings and are more than good enough.

Ive got a Mocal 13 row cooler with 80 degree thermostat.

It works perfectly and the coolant is on temperature much faster so ideal for cold winters. ;)

I use ELF Competition STI 10W40 semi synthetic and last friday I was doing 239 km/h (about 150 mph) and the oil was perfectly 100 degrees. So it works like a charm.

You can see the cooler on the picture in the bumper.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QwDzAowTXIT9dAidVr1GA57*MWoxkrX*dR2Yc1A!cy7ERo3AygCtc5vJESrG12tJX2rSn8Rp9ignYdXlJeuS57xH9LUqYUgdhlupXBBChMw/Dsc00193">

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah Ive had a Mocal 16 row cooler coming off an oilstat sandwich plate for a couple of years now, best money I ever spent. It levels out at around 100 and very rarely goes above that, stays in the 90-100 range almost always. Plus it has a knock on effect of keeping your normal water temps down a little as well, stabilises it.

172 Cup

cheers Ben! will def think about getting one when i do the williams conversion. do you think it will be well worth getting one if i am running 180 to 190bhp?

Paul

172 Cup

ok mate well the engine will be being built around the sept time once i have all the bits together and the headwork done by you and i will proberly be giving it to Andy to put in and you will be up there by then so we may as well do this as the same time.

Thanks

Paul

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I may be being stupid but other than keepin your oil cool. Whats the advantages of havin an oil cooler? Mine never seem to go over 100 much anyways.

Is cooler oil better for ya engine?

Focus ST

Id have thought 90-100 degrees is about optimum oil tempertaure anyway, so I wouldnt bother if it never or rarely creeps above this. Modified engines may benefit and like BenR says, must be very valuable on a track where your car will be taking a pasting over a relatively long period of time.

Ive got a 16row cooler like Nicks, but you only really need a 13row one. Youll want the 235mm wide matrix. & you defo need a stat with it though for normal use.

Costs about 130quid from Demon Tweeks with all the bits, and is fairly simple to fit by someone who know what theyre doing. Nick at HillPower fitted mine in no time......

Other benefits are like Nick said, it keeps the water temps down nicely too.

Best mod Ive done to my valver!

BNR33 GTR

Nice can anyone tell me where i can get one fitted near blackburn? Coz my oil temperature soars to 120 when im doing a ton on motorway.

100 degrees is good. Means there no condensation in yer oil. Mine does 100 on motorway, sometimes 110 if i maintain 100mph+ for long periods.

I thought there was a water cooled oil cooler behind the the oil filter?

I am having some problems with my sandwichplate. The car starts up fine, I can warm it up ok. But the next time I start it (The oil beeing in the cooler and in the pipes) the gasket on the oilfilter suddenly blows out, and I get oil everywhere. I have tried mounting it 4 times now with the same result. I have now bought a new sandwich plate, will try to mount it soon. Enyone had the same problem??:confused:

Pic: http://www.ruf911.com/clio/olje_2.jpg

The Jinx

Until Ive given this more thought (and found some pennies) Im going to go for the BBPT low temp fan switch and thermostat.

Is this a separate stat to the one that operates with the cooler? Obviously I wont order it if its going to become redundant in future.

The stat for th oil cooler only controls flow of oil TO the cooler, nothing to do with the actual coolant system and rad.

Quote: Originally posted by 1.8_16v_Clio on 18 May 2004

I may be being stupid but other than keepin your oil cool. Whats the advantages of havin an oil cooler? Mine never seem to go over 100 much anyways.

Is cooler oil better for ya engine?

Oil which overheats breaks down and its protective capability is greatly diminished.

Also hotter oil is thinner and this doesnt bode well with engines that require or are designed with tolerances that take note of a certain oil VIS. Too hot = too thin = low pressure = worse protection.

The Jinx

Thankee squire. For £22 I shall order em tomorrow. It will also be having a coolant flush next month when I get it serviced. If the oil is still over 120 on the motorway at 70mph after that then Mocal here I come.

When I first noticed this on the m-way it had reached nearly 140 degrees!:eek:

Still dont understand why it should get so hot only on the m-way.

Just out of interest would a K&N which is sucking in warm air also lead to a slight rise in temps?

i would say a lot of this has to do with what oil you use, ever since i have used fully syn, my oil seems to heat up quicker, and stay around 100ish on motorway, maybe im juts imagining it though?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

iv had mine up to over 140 before.

when my thermostat was shagged it never went above 80 ever!

now its 100 normally, and 120 on the motorway 80 or above! im gonna get an oil cooler i think. how much does nick hill charge does anyone know including fitting?

cheers

Quote: Originally posted by mike8579 on 18 May 2004

Thankee squire. For £22 I shall order em tomorrow. It will also be having a coolant flush next month when I get it serviced. If the oil is still over 120 on the motorway at 70mph after that then Mocal here I come.

When I first noticed this on the m-way it had reached nearly 140 degrees!:eek:

Still dont understand why it should get so hot only on the m-way.

Just out of interest would a K&N which is sucking in warm air also lead to a slight rise in temps?
140 is way too much and if my oil got that high it would be changed as polymers would of started breaking. It gets hot because of the constant rpm...thats all.

Not the K&N at all.