ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil consumption/stem seals

'02 Monaco Blue 172
My car seems to use about a litre of oil every 300 - 400 miles. Been searching on here and it seems it could be stem seals as there is no leak coming from anywhere that I can see.

Is this an easy fix or does the engine need to come out?

'02 Monaco Blue 172
No not done compression test, is this easy to do?

Which is the oil breather pipe? I can check this today!

That's roughly 2 to 3 times the amount of oil consumption I'd consider normal for a very hard driven F4R - as such its a fairly decent certainty that its broken. Stem seals are a good possibility if there are no external leaks.

It's head off to do it and you may as well have a the seats recut at the same time to ensure theres no valve seat regression issues.

Cheers
M

2005 Nissan Navara
Doing a compression test isnt very indicative of poor oil control ring condition. At the end iof the day, you could have a cracked oil ring, yet the top and second ring will still allow normal compression.

Does it chuck out a nice puff of smoke on start up after a couple of days standing about?

If your brave you can do the stem seals without taking the head off.

'02 Monaco Blue 172
Cheers for the advice, i'll have a look at the breather pipe and get hold of a compression tester and give that a whirl.

The problem is, I rarely drive it 'hard', this is just from normal motorway driving, seem to put a litre of oil in every two weeks!

Dont think it chucks out any smoke on start up, it does have a bit of a hesitation problem from low down revs, could this be related?

This problem started when my cam belt went last year, already had the valves, phaser pulley, belts and aux belt pulley, cam seal replaced but wanted to try and sort this myself now as i cant be bothered taking it back to the garage again and it drives fine otherwise!

2005 Nissan Navara
If the cam belt snapped, then it started doing it, I would guarantee you'll have a cracked guide or two (from the bent valves).

So its head rebuild time.

'02 Monaco Blue 172
Bugger, sounds like a big job!

Is it something I can check myself, i'm reasonably competent myself but have limited tools! I fancy doing this myself though!

2005 Nissan Navara
Head off, valves out, check for cracks in the guides on the port side of the head.

If they are cracked, you'll need them pressed out and new ones pressed in.

If you get stuck my email is info@ap-developments.co this is the type of work I do.

Saying all this, might be easier just to swap for another head---risk in that though is that replacement head may be just as bad.

2005 Nissan Navara
Ive got a couple of heads which came off good running engines, i can sell these if you decide to go down the rpelacement route.

'02 Monaco Blue 172
Cheers Stan, how much would you be looking for for one? is the head the part where the oil rings and stem seals are?

Done a quick search and it doesn't seem too big a job to take the head off?

Would it be like for like swap of head or would I have to mess with anything else?

2005 Nissan Navara
With all due respect, if your asking which part the head is, I wouldnt DIY.

£175+vat delivered for a 172 head from me.

'02 Monaco Blue 172
Sorry, after reading back that did come out wrong, I know what the head is, I just wanted to check that the oil rings and stem seals are parts contained within the head, so if I swap my head for another 'decent' one, all 'knackered' bits should in theory be replaced!

Oil control rings are the lower ring in the ring pack on the piston i.e. in the bottom end, not in the head.

If you replace the head yourself you will also need the Renault timing tools to ensure the cam timing is correct when building the cam drive side of things back up.

Cheers
M

Focus RS mk1
i had the piston rings go on mine and it was pouring smoke out the back, compression was escaping past the rings causing loads of oil to blow through the breathers almost filling the manifold im suprised it would even still run! whilst engine was out they found it was the rings on cylinder 3. i had everything replaced, all new stem seals and piston and oil rings on every cylinder. sweet as a nut now

'02 Monaco Blue 172
Bit of an update, although not had much time to look into this but i'm definately sorting it soon.

Took plenum off and had a look at spark plugs and this is generally how they all looked, this being the worst, two of them weren't too bad(sorry, bad iphone pic!)

sparkplug.jpg

Thoughts on the reason the spark plug would be like this?

Got a compression tester but not had chance to do the test yet, also done a bit of ringing around and i've got a price of £135+ vat to replace all valve guides when I finally get the head off, which should be in the next few weeks, does this price sound about right?

BG 182
What is the rough parts cost and how many hours labour is it for replacing the stem seals and piston rings on a 182? Dan, did you get this done ever?
My car is burning oil at 1litre per 1000 and reckon this could need doing....