ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Clocks

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
Hi,

Just wondering Ive just put a set of oil clocks in my 1.2 mk1, and they dont work. The plug on the loom was there! The lights come on fine but no movement!? :S

Is there a fuse or relay that I have to add?

Any help would be appriciated

Adam

BMW M135i
I think the sensors for the gauges aren't actaully there, just the plug.
I'm sure someone can give you a striaght answer but i'm pretty sure that their not there.

williams 2 turbo
they wont work full stop, the plug is a standard one as all looms are pretty much the same, so they will light up, but thats all you'll get.

Looking for a ph-quick...
ajketley said:
Hi,

Just wondering Ive just put a set of oil clocks in my 1.2 mk1, and they dont work. The plug on the loom was there! The lights come on fine but no movement!? :S

Is there a fuse or relay that I have to add?

Any help would be appriciated

Adam

dude,
did u have the plug in the dash? i havent got one which is why i sold them!!! Is it concealed somwhere? cheers
Amir

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
But ive seen 1.2s and 1.4s with them working standard engine etc. Just need info on how to do it really!

Amir yeh the plug was on the loom just needed to dig it out! ;)

ajketley said:
But ive seen 1.2s and 1.4s with them working standard engine etc. Just need info on how to do it really!

There are a few with just voltage going to them so it looks like they are moving. There just aren't the sensors on the 1.2/1.4's..

Maybe they weren't factory dials? Then aftermarket sensors can be used.

I've never seen a 1.2/1.4 with the original ones working properly..

ajketley said:

Amir yeh the plug was on the loom just needed to dig it out! ;)

so its burried somewhere amongst the mass of wires that run across the dash? its not exposed then? wud it be between the bazillion wires just gotta sift through and i will find it??

if i find it u wanna sell them back to me?? ;) they will work off my valver lump! :rasp:

Amir

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
lol I might have to if I cant get them to work! Its just a kinda thin, long blue plug in the wires! You will have to be looking for a while!!!

Could I put the sensors on my engine? anyone?

ajketley said:
lol I might have to if I cant get them to work! Its just a kinda thin, long blue plug in the wires! You will have to be looking for a while!!!

Could I put the sensors on my engine? anyone?

I doubt it'd be easy if possible, heh.

None
Its a blue plug thats tied up near the main clocks - some twisting and poking will find it. I got some in my 1.2 but they act weird. The oil level works for like 30 secs then drops to empty lol

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
Mine all light up and say oil temp 100 then back to zero, oil pressure none, oil level noe, should I be worried! lol...I might ring around and see if someone can add the sensors etc!?

only way to do it is as follows, now listen closley boys ad girls as i'm getting tired of keep saying this:

Buy a sandwich plate from deamon tweeks, but an oil temp gauage from deamon tweeks c/w sender, buy an oil pressure gauge from tweeks c/w sender, screw the senders inot the sandwich plate (adaptors may be reuired), route the wires if electrical, or capilary tubes if mechanical to the cockpit and connect the gauges up.
Drain oil, remove oil filter, screw sandwich plate on where oil filter goes, screw NEW filter on ontop, and refill with NEW oil.....hey presto you have working oil temp and pressure gauges.....wihtouth any if this stupid talk of drilling the sump

Right, i have come to the conclusion that my car does not have this illusive blue plug. i have seen what it looks like so i know what im looking for. i spent a good half hour with the dash and clocks out and i cant find it. :(
any thoughts??

Amir

None
Have you searched all the way along the cable along the top of the dash, if it still not there try behing the clocks. Its usually tied back somewhere out of view.

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
If the dash is in I found it in the middle of all the wires around the top left hand area of the dash. It was also wrapped in cra*py, sticky tape stuff!

M3 & Clio Cup racer
Hey Fellas, all that stuff that Lunner says to buy from D/Tweeks is made by me - i'm famous. If you do decide to go that route drop me a pm and i'll sort you out at special prices. Similarly i actually make gauges aswell but they are all the mechanical ones rather than electric so you'd need to run pipework (yep i make that too) to the back of them. Only oil pressure and temp, black or white face.

Maxx said:
Have you searched all the way along the cable along the top of the dash, if it still not there try behing the clocks. Its usually tied back somewhere out of view.

yeh had the clocks out no joy :( left hand side Adam?? I had to contend with that tape your on about. have to have another look at the weekend! cheers guys!

Amir

Team Think said:
Hey Fellas, all that stuff that Lunner says to buy from D/Tweeks is made by me - i'm famous. If you do decide to go that route drop me a pm and i'll sort you out at special prices. Similarly i actually make gauges aswell but they are all the mechanical ones rather than electric so you'd need to run pipework (yep i make that too) to the back of them. Only oil pressure and temp, black or white face.

Is this the same as the illusive harness bar you were gonna make up for me and i never heard anythign about, even with repeated PMs?

Only used tweeks as an example, you can get the sandwich plate alot cheaper on ebay, acyualy i ahve one sat here i'm not using, £15 delivered, never fitted

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
Here is a rough guide to where I found them. The wires with the foam covering is the oil dial lead.

Attachments

• DSC00249.JPG
    DSC00249.JPG
    309.5 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC00248.JPG
    DSC00248.JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 33
cheers for that dude!
i take it the wiring is covered in that brown s**t lol?? will try and find it i guess. big help tho dude!
Those clocks look familiar lol!

Amir

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
I just made up a little base for it to sit on out of a few tiny bits of wood(you cant see the wood so its ok! ;) The dash top holds the top in place nicely and doesnt rattle :D

as lunner says you can't get the dials to work without installing pressure and temp senders into a oil filter sandwich plate. Then wiring them into the dash requires you to understand the wiring of how the dials work. You can do this by reading a haynes and you will discover it will not be easy to wire in aftermarket senders or even renault ones for that matter. Infact i don't think you can use the renault senders with most sandwich plates.

for short, don't bother getting em to work properly. Take the dials apart and cross the dial connection points with sections of wire to create false readings.