ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil change

Cliosport 172 cu
Right bit of an odd one done oil change change yesterday. Used Renault own oil oil filter and sump plug washer. Problem is after a while I've got minium oil in sump now but I put carbord under the car last night and came this morning bone dry not a leak and smelt exhaust gases they smell normal dash lights say oil ok could the dipstick be reading rong as I've never ever had this before its a 172 cup any info would be a great help

Forgot to add there was some oil on floor but I put that down to loosing some from taking old filter off but there wasn't loads on floor

Last edited:
  Cliosport 172 cu
Think what I should do is drain oil and see if I get the same amount out as what I put in

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Is the car on completely flat ground??

I've never had to put more that the quoted 5.1L in so it does seem odd.

My old Merc sprinter used to hold 8.5 litres but I always had to put 9L in it to get it to maximum.

Cliosport 172 cu
Yep but I've just drove it and I'm not getting no warnings or any think and engine sounds sweet of what I can hear because of my exhaust

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yep but I've just drove it and I'm not getting no warnings or any think and engine sounds sweet of what I can hear because of my exhaust
If you get a warning light it's too late anyway the damage is done!
Warning light is bad! Lol

Just top it up to max today, drive it for a bit, check it again later on. I certainly wouldn't faff about draining it again.

Cliosport 172 cu
If you get a warning light it's too late anyway the damage is done!
Warning light is bad! Lol

Just top it up to max today, drive it for a bit, check it again later on. I certainly wouldn't faff about draining it again.
No I havnt got no lights on at all which is puzzling
If you've just driven it the oil will still be around the engine and oil is thinner when hot. Leave it until it's cold.
And yeah I'm leaving 20 minutes which should allow enough time but I'm just stumped on it

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
No I havnt got no lights on at all which is puzzling.

it

What's puzzling? The only warning light you'll get is a low oil pressure light. If that light comes on, 99 times out of 100 the damage is done.
Prevention is better than cure so just top it up and check it daily.

Cliosport 172 cu
What's puzzling? The only warning light you'll get is a low oil pressure light. If that light comes on, 99 times out of 100 the damage is done.
Prevention is better than cure so just top it up and check it daily.
Yeah that's what I mean only thing I get is oil ok no low oil pressure that's what's puzzling

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
There's nothing to be puzzled about dude! It hasn't got low oil pressure so won't kick the light on.
But as a precaution, top it up to max and check it daily.

(Is there a parrot in here?? Lol£

Cliosport 172 cu
There's nothing to be puzzled about dude! It hasn't got low oil pressure so won't kick the light on.
But as a precaution, top it up to max and check it daily.

(Is there a parrot in here?? Lol£
Well there is because if I top up and by any chance there is 5L in there I can blow seals it's just as bad has having to much oil in the car

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If there is 5L I'm there, the dipstick wouldn't be on minimum.

Cliosport 172 cu
Yeah I know but what I didn't just realise that the dipstick was bent a bit so ill leave it now and see if that makes a difference as I know sumps am about a 8L capacity

Cliosport 172 cu
Problem solved dipstick was bent so bent it straight and oil level is fine weird but worked