ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil change, vast improvement!

BMW E36 328i Sport
Well my Clio has been feeling a bit sluggish lately and seemed to have a flat spot from 3.5k-5k. Weirdly it felt like I lost my remap which smoothed out the power from 3k-5k. So anyway I changed my oil after 6k miles since it's last change (anal I know) but the flat spot is gone an it seems too pull really smoothly like it used to. Any reasons for this? I could understand if I changed the plugs as well but I only did the oil.

Any clues?

BMW E36 328i Sport
Haha yeah but just weird as the oil that came out was the same grade but different brand and only 3k mile old.

Much happier with the car now :)

Black 172
Probably psychological tbh.

I know its late and I'm not at my cleverest ;) but you said you changed your oil and it was 6k miles since its last change, so how can the oil that came out be only 3k old?

"Navy" N17 TWO

I know its late and I'm not at my cleverest ;) but you said you changed your oil and it was 6k miles since its last change, so how can the oil that came out be only 3k old?

That is about as clever as someone from Essex is ever going to get ;)

A good observation though and a valid point lol :D

"Navy" N17 TWO
Renault say 12k but most people (going by reading on here) do after 6k or every 6months IIRC

182 Turbo Project
Now that my car is at a sensible height, I am going to start doing it more often. It was such a hassle taking it into a garage, as well as expensive!

What oils are people using?

BMW E36 328i Sport

Haha good observation, just a mistake I meant 6k

Renault say 12k but most people (going by reading on here) do after 6k or every 6months IIRC

Would be 10 months old so maybe that's to do with it.

I do every 6k with Fuchs 5w40.

I 100% notice a difference every oil change. Both before and after.

I was using Fuchs 5w40, now using gulf competition 5w40.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
If the oil has higher HTHS viscosity, the oil pump has to enforce more power to flow the lubricant. This extra power is supplied by the engine, resulting less flywheel power. This difference is clearly noticeable at higher rpm if you change from 5w40 to 10w60. For instance an average 5w40 oil has 3.6-3.8 mPas HTHS viscosity whilst an average 10w60 has 5.5-6.2 mPas. If you did not change viscosity grade but the new and previous oil have different HTHS viscosity, you may also feel this difference. Of course, the HTHS may become less during the oil lifetime, namely two, same but new and used engine oils may have different HTHS viscosity..