ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Off to efi parts tomorrow...

Yes I did the rebuild, long story short, bought a turbo clio from dms on here so I could use the engine, ended up needing a rebuild, I used the same crank and same rods, got part numbers off the old big end bearings to buy new, so like for like. Until its stripped (if Chris gets involved in mechanical) I won't know, hopefully caught it early but inevitably something will be damaged. Worst possible thing to happen has I think.

Did you check the tolerances?

172 cup, Impreza P1
Did you check any measurements? Big or main journals on the crank.

If Scoff does the mechanicals it must be your lucky day as I didn't think he did mechanicals any more.

I know what you mean about time though, it just takes so long to get everything done on an engine build.

Hope it's not too terminal.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Did you check any measurements? Big or main journals on the crank.

If Scoff does the mechanicals it must be your lucky day as I didn't think he did mechanicals any more.

I know what you mean about time though, it just takes so long to get everything done on an engine build.

Hope it's not too terminal.

Tbh I didn't see it as a big deal to check the big end clearances as all the internals came from a running engine and all I really replaced are the piston rings as far as tolerance related items go, the big end bearings where just new out of the box and the same as what was fitted, it managed to get through the bedding in process and 2 oil changes before the noise was noticed.

well if scoff no longer does mechanical (I'd imagine he is to busy if that's the case) I may have to call on Andy's services, I had a unit while building the clio and I now no longer have access to it so I ideally need to leave it with someone to sort, plus the money it has cost for transporting the car and what I owe scoff to this point seems like the best option.

And up to the point where this happen it seemed really promising from the messages from scoff, really responsive throttle and eager even before boost was introduced, this makes me want to finish it.

oh and the crank never left the block so mains are not an issue.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
I'll 2nd that. ACL are utter s**te

I was only heading down the acl route because there tagged, as said I ended up with glyco bearings.

The update on this is I have authorised a strip and inspection instead of breaking it for parts, I'm leaving it with Chris and also Andy (over boost) on here who is going to be doing the tear down, I would do it but it would take ages, plus it would need recovering back here and then back up to Chris against I have decided to leave to them.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Use oem renault bearings. Really not a fan of acl my self especially the race series

I'll 2nd that. ACL are utter s**te

I can never understand why on here people say acl race bearing are p1sh, yet they are used on every big power subaru build by every respected tuner on engines worth way more than most Renault engines. If they were that bad then why would so many tuners use them?

172 cup, Impreza P1
I was only heading down the acl route because there tagged, as said I ended up with glyco bearings.

The update on this is I have authorised a strip and inspection instead of breaking it for parts, I'm leaving it with Chris and also Andy (over boost) on here who is going to be doing the tear down, I would do it but it would take ages, plus it would need recovering back here and then back up to Chris against I have decided to leave to them.

Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

Thanks mate, me to! Was sounding so promising before it happened ah well...

Yours is looking good! Good luck hope it all goes to plan, glad I'm not the only one that spends years building a turbo'd clio, we are all at it lol.

I can never understand why on here people say acl race bearing are p1sh, yet they are used on every big power subaru build by every respected tuner on engines worth way more than most Renault engines. If they were that bad then why would so many tuners use them?

In Renault engines the tolerances are shite. 3 thou big ends and 4 thou mains FLOL!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Thanks mate, me to! Was sounding so promising before it happened ah well...

Yours is looking good! Good luck hope it all goes to plan, glad I'm not the only one that spends years building a turbo'd clio, we are all at it lol.

Its a marathon, not a race! Lol

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I've seen more engines need new cranks after running acl's than anything mate. It seems in some instances the bearing material is harder than the cranks, but I've seen a fully forged engine with a steel crank fall foul of them too. They may have changed the spec of the material now, but they were renowned at one point for eating cranks. The tolerance issues like what dan @sjm has mentioned doesn't help them at all either.

R5GTT, 2L turbo
I tried lots of brands in the drag car over the years, OEM held up the best. The new engine has ACL. They work fine in the high power Honda's. I think it has a lot to do with you're choice of oil. Harder bearings might be more acceptable with an oil that has a lot of Zinc in it like the Joe Gibbs race oils.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Just checked an engine we are doing now and with ACL DLC coated big end, Manley rods on a stock crank the clearance is just under 2 thou. All of our builds are done with these and we have never had a failure. Always use Millers Nanodrive 5w40 oil.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
The results are in, it was never going to be good anyway, I unfortunatly fitted 3 of the rod end caps the wrong way round apparently they are in effect directional so 3 where rotating the wrong way, its lightly damaged 2 rods and mullered one, this has in turn sent swarf round the engine taking out the cams/rockers and the journals in the head.

its stripped and will be rebuilt and finished by Andy (overboost on here) with the vr6 turbo clio, I really appreciate him taking it on, if it had come back to me in its current state it would be broken for parts as I really wouldn't have the time to sort it!

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Been a while, thought I would update this thread, sent my spare engine up to Andy to take off what he needed to rebuild mine, con rods have been checked and machined and head skimmed, engine is pretty much built up just waiting on some new arp bolts in the coming week then the engines going back in, so hopefully will have a result in a couple of weeks fingers crossed.

182cup & 172 racecar
Mine was supposed to have been built properly, on inspection, 3 end caps were on the wrong way round!!

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Il be picking this up tomorrow! Can't wait, it finally made 314hp and 268ftlb

A massive thank you to Chris at EFI and a even bigger one to andy (overboost) for taking on the rebuild when the bottom end decided to have a fight for freedom!
Link below to the mapping
Cheers

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Pitty you weren't picking it up on when the rolling road day is on at EFi next week lol could have seen it in the flesh.

Yes this is a shame, I would have liked to see it on the rollers myself, oh well get to drive it tomorrow which more than compensates

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Ktec log manifold and downpipe
Gt2860rs
Megane injectors
Custom inlet based on jenvey throttle body
Ktec rods
Wossner Pistons
Walbro 225 uprated fuel pump with rail return
Forge intercooler
Ash boosted hoses order to fit
Pms ac delete kit

Goes like stink tbh