ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OCZ Reaper's

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
Just ordered some DDR2 OCZ Reaper 9200 4GB 1150MHz :). I have needed some ram for ages as my current value ram (3GB's) in my Crosshair mo'board is running well below what it should be.... Should be running 400mhz each (I think?) and 2 of them are running under 250mhz lol.

Do you think I will see much difference with game loading etc...?.

Monaro VXR
Just ordered some DDR2 OCZ Reaper 9200 4GB 1150MHz :). I have needed some ram for ages as my current value ram (3GB's) in my Crosshair mo'board is running well below what it should be.... Should be running 400mhz each (I think?) and 2 of them are running under 250mhz lol.

If your corsair is running slower than it should then chances are there is a problem elsewhere. They only run at the speeds the motherboard tells them to.

And will you notice a difference....not really no. Higher speed ram is only really useful for when you are over clocking. I went from high end ram £400 corsair on 1 build to using £60 corsair on another...made no difference I could see at all.

In games you might gains 1 or 2 FPS that's it.

High end ram is one of those things you use as a finishing touch or if you are going to be overclocking. Otherwise cheapo stuff will do just as well.

Also when do realise that the DDR ram 400mhz = 200mhz right?

Like 1150mhz = 575mhz in the bios.

Hence the Double Data Rate (DDR) name.

If your corsair is running slower than it should then chances are there is a problem elsewhere. They only run at the speeds the motherboard tells them to.

And will you notice a difference....not really no. Higher speed ram is only really useful for when you are over clocking. I went from high end ram £400 corsair on 1 build to using £60 corsair on another...made no difference I could see at all.

In games you might gains 1 or 2 FPS that's it.

High end ram is one of those things you use as a finishing touch or if you are going to be overclocking. Otherwise cheapo stuff will do just as well.

Also when do realise that the DDR ram 400mhz = 200mhz right?

Like 1150mhz = 575mhz in the bios.

Hence the Double Data Rate (DDR) name.

Na, didn't know that lol. I ran a programme ages ago that showed 1 stick using 200mhz, another using 225mhz & the last stick using 310 mhz. All the same size ram. I do realize that its all down to the mo'board/bios etc... but have been meaning to get some better ram anyway, as the ones I have now were value ram 3/4 years ago.

Monaro VXR
Na, didn't know that lol. I ran a programme ages ago that showed 1 stick using 200mhz, another using 225mhz & the last stick using 310 mhz. All the same size ram. I do realize that its all down to the mo'board/bios etc... but have been meaning to get some better ram anyway, as the ones I have now were value ram 3/4 years ago.

That is very strange...

As it should not work like that infact I don't think it is possible for it to work like that. What should happen if 1 stick is faster is that it will drop down to the lower speed and the same timings as the slowest module. You can't have different speeds and timings the computer just wont work.

Not a Clio

As you didn't know what DDR meant are you sure your board will be able to use 1150? and do you have a 64bit OS to take advantage of the 4GB?

Better than yours. C*nt.
As you didn't know what DDR meant are you sure your board will be able to use 1150? and do you have a 64bit OS to take advantage of the 4GB?

DO NOT NEED OR WANT 64-bit OS to run 4GB RAM. By the time you take into account the memory you lose to the larger 64-bit applications, you're back at square one but with less compatibility for legacy applications.

Not a Clio
Well unless he's running Windows 7 32bit or a 64bit OS the extra gig will be wasted. I'm guessing that he bought 4GB because he wanted to use all 4, I may be wrong though! By legacy applications I take it you mean ancient apps that aren't even supported any more but have modern versions that will run just fine.

Memory is cheap as f**k these days so if the magical 4GB number isn't enough on a 64bit OS (which it actually is) then stick in more.

Better than yours. C*nt.
It's enough on a 64-bit OS, but I'm referring to even fairly modern games which aren't tested/supported on 64-bit systems. There's a lot of b****cks floating around (spurred on by the pub 'experts') regarding 64-bit OS's and the use in/around the house. The plain fact is unless you run Flight Simulator or Crysis then 64-bit OS and more than 4GB memory is absolute overkill and wasted effort. If the software on the computer is fine, just wanting to put more memory in it in then why waste a day of your life (plus countless others troubleshooting) in rebuilding it? Surely you must be well aware of the 'easy option'?

And as for needing Windows 7 32-bit, that's balls. Vista SP1 acknowledges 4GB RAM. However both of which just put a pretty face on the fact that it still can't access all 4GB of RAM - in a typical system it allows you to access between 3.75GB and 3.5GB.

Can I ask what you do for a living to be able to justify your comments?

Yeah currently running Windows 7 64bit lol... I was running 3GB with XP Professional & was told that XP can only see 3GB's anyway which is why I never bothered upgrading, but memory is that cheap now that I thought what the heck!.

My motherboard is a Crosshair AM2 and I think it will only run at a max speed of 800MHZ anyway, but thought I would go for the Reapers as it was only £60 for the 4GB 1150MHZ. I presum that my mo'board will just run the ram at 800MHZ?. If not I'll just save it for a new motherboard lol.

Not a Clio
It's enough on a 64-bit OS, but I'm referring to even fairly modern games which aren't tested/supported on 64-bit systems. There's a lot of b****cks floating around (spurred on by the pub 'experts') regarding 64-bit OS's and the use in/around the house. The plain fact is unless you run Flight Simulator or Crysis then 64-bit OS and more than 4GB memory is absolute overkill and wasted effort. If the software on the computer is fine, just wanting to put more memory in it in then why waste a day of your life (plus countless others troubleshooting) in rebuilding it? Surely you must be well aware of the 'easy option'?

And as for needing Windows 7 32-bit, that's balls. Vista SP1 acknowledges 4GB RAM. However both of which just put a pretty face on the fact that it still can't access all 4GB of RAM - in a typical system it allows you to access between 3.75GB and 3.5GB.

Can I ask what you do for a living to be able to justify your comments?

What has what I do for a living got to do with anything? If you must know I care for my disabled Mrs 24/7. I used to work in tech & customer support for an ISP with an educational background in IT and a keen personal interest.

Windows will use more than 4GB if it's available. There's a few comparisons on the net of Vista with 4 and Vista with 8GB.

There's no point continuing this anyway as he is using a 64bit OS.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Wind your neck in sunshine, I asked a very valid question. You're suggesting that every server support engineer this side of a worthwhile qualification is wrong - if you were a chippy who goes to the pub with a guy who knows someone with an IT shop... You get the picture.

The fact is that yes, 64-bit Windows can see and use 8GB, and yes, there is a marginal performance difference. However, the guy at home watching p**n, downloading music and writing his CV will not notice, and that is the point.

Hell, in the server world only larger applications are run on 64-bit OS's, rather than 'just cos it can and it's got 4GB' - SQL, large numbers of IIS sites, Oracle, yes - all run on 64-bit with shitloads of memory. A domain controller, Exchange 2003, reverse proxy, all run on 32-bit because there is NO reason whatsoever in running it.

As you say, very little point continuing with the discussion as he is currently running 64-bit Windows. Have a good evening and smile - it might never happen ;)

Got the ram this morning and installed straight away & notice a major difference tbh. Loaded up COD4 and everytime I used to click on Refresh on the Server list, it used to take a good minute or so and now its do in 2 seconds max lol. Wished I had bought these sooner tbh. My CPU & Ram both score 7.1 on the Vista/Win 7 Index Test now, but I never go on there crappy scoring system anyway.