ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oap persons guide to gaming pc's

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
My youngest son (12) wants a gaming pc, I know feck all about pc's since I went macs years ago so need a bit of guidance. I realise it needs a decent cpu and decent graphics card but no idea where to start.
What do you think is the minimum I need to play newish games ? I've told him he's better off with his Xbox one but says he wants to play games on a pc.
I am on a tight budget say £300-£400is it doable ?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
With used bits and patience it's doable. It depends what frame rate and resolution you want to run the games at.

What sort of games does he play? Do you have a good monitor?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
For that budget your best going second hand, or adding a bit to it and telling him he can have the new Xbox when it comes out.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
He's already got an Xbox one that's why I can't understand why he wants a pc I've already told him that a cheap one will not play decent games.
I will get him to write down some games and get back on here.
Cheers

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Sadly £300-£400 is not really going to cut it for modern PC games (unless you are really prepared to compromise on the quality and resolution). The new Xbox One X might be a better option as an 'upgrade' to his current Xbox One.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
He's already got an Xbox one that's why I can't understand why he wants a pc I've already told him that a cheap one will not play decent games.
I will get him to write down some games and get back on here.
Cheers
Because Master Race.

You want a Rolls Royce? You pay Rolls Royce prices! Get that list over of what he wants to play and we can take it from there. As a ball-park figure, you'd be looking circa £700 alone for a 1080Ti graphics card - the current defacto card of choice.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I stumbled across this system this morning, the Nvidia Shield Pro.

I see you can download and play PC games on the Nvidia which are downloadable from Nvidia GE Now and Steam. From what I've read, so long as you have a stable and decent Internet then this will play games at a comfortable 30fps. Not sure at what resolution though, 1080p? It can play TV at 4k or HDR up scaling but I'm assuming it won't play PC/Android games at 4k right?

It's £200 which seems relatively good value for the ability to play pc games on the TV. Just wondering if it's a bit of a gimmick or worth getting seen as there's more choice of games on PC, or have I misunderstood it how this works?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

I see you can download and play PC games on the Nvidia which are downloadable from Nvidia GE Now and Steam. From what I've read, so long as you have a stable and decent Internet then this will play games at a comfortable 30fps. Not sure at what resolution though, 1080p? It can play TV at 4k or HDR up scaling but I'm assuming it won't play PC/Android games at 4k right?

It's £200 which seems relatively good value for the ability to play pc games on the TV. Just wondering if it's a bit of a gimmick or worth getting seen as there's more choice of games on PC, or have I misunderstood it how this works?
I just think all things like this are too far ahead of their time.

There will come a time where simply subscribing to a gaming service in true 8K, at 200hz will become the norm on most integrated TVs. But for true streaming quality of that nature, we're years away from that yet. When the technical juggernaut of the likes of Google can't sufficiently get Stadia off the ground and Apple simply isn't interested - you know that anything else is just going to be a flash in the pan.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep

Why not get an Xbox / PS4/5 ?

It's a media streaming box.. 16GB storage - most 'decent' games are twice that and then some for Xbox for example.

It looks like it'll play mobile type games - I can't imagine you'll get Forza or Call of Duty on that.... ever.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
£300-£400 will get you a pretty decent set up (2nd hand - obvs) for modernish games. Settings will have to be pegs back a little.

But, yeah, it's doable.

Sake lol - 4 years ago!