ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

o2 / sky = out of here

Rav4
We were with Sky for the last year, we are not on a LLU exchange unfortunately so prices are higher than normal. Swapped to Plusnet after family and friends having good experiences, can honestly say it was the best thing we did, paying less for line rental and BB. Sky would throttle my connection heavily in peak traffic times, making it completely unusable to stream/download even a Youtube video let alone a movie from Sky's on demand library.

Been with Plusnet for the last 2 weeks and EVERY time I've checked the speed its been 6.60mbps compared with Sky which used to get throttled to 1mbps or less and be all over the place.

Would highly recommend Plusnet as their Network seems to be a lot more robust compared to Sky.

P.s I wouldn't go with BT ever again, after a complete fiasco and rude CS when swapping my mum from them to Plusnet. took 3 months for them to stop charging her line rental!

Thank you for this update, that is brilliant. Gives me some confidence.

I think I will try PlusNet. Will see if their Fibre is available. Just need to see what offers are around.

​Thanks again for this update

Rav4
I see it's FTTC, so copper to the house. I wonder how this may affect the speed.

​BT goes all the way to the house.

I see it's FTTC, so copper to the house. I wonder how this may affect the speed.

​BT goes all the way to the house.

Incorrect. Guildford area is FTCC. There are places that are fibre into the premises but not near here and highly doubt you'll have that service available anytime soon.

With regards to speeds running the last leg copper to the premises, completely depends on the length from the copper cabinet. Under 100m and it'll be right up there with what they quote you to get. 1000m+ away with will still be quick, but entirely depends on the condition of the cable.

Last edited:
  Rav4
Incorrect. Guildford area is FTCC. There are places that are fibre into the premises but not near here and highly doubt you'll have that service available anytime soon.

With regards to speeds running the last leg copper to the premises, completely depends on the length from the copper cabinet. Under 100m and it'll be right up there with what they quote you to get. 1000m+ away with will still be quick, but entirely depends on the condition of the cable.

Hey Nick,

Thank you very much for the clarification. I guess the BT guy made an assumption. I know that MK do it for sure, but only went by what I was told.

Let's hope the connection is good then.

Fingers crossed,

Thanks again for the update,

G

BMW F31
Thank you for this update, that is brilliant. Gives me some confidence.

I think I will try PlusNet. Will see if their Fibre is available. Just need to see what offers are around.

​Thanks again for this update

​No probs, just giving my experience :)

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Just received the following email from O2:

"Back in February, we announced our decision to sell our Home Broadband and Home Phone business to Sky.

That sale has now gone through. Which means your home broadband and home phone are now officially with Sky. I'd like to explain what'll happen next and draw your attention to the legal information at the bottom of this email.

Business as usual

You won't notice any changes straightaway. You can still use My O2 to access your bill, and it's the same number to call should you need a hand with your broadband or home phone. You'll receive a separate email about your payments. And remember, your O2 mobile isn't affected by the sale in any way.

You'll be hearing from Sky soon

In the next day or so, you'll get a welcome from Sky. It'll explain how they'll be transferring everyone's broadband and home phone services over to their network, starting this autumn. But if you have any questions before then, you'll find the latest information here.

As before, it's only your broadband and home phone that's moving to Sky. Not your mobile. That's still with us. So there's just one last thing I'd like to say. We wish you - and your broadband and home phone - all the very best.

Yours sincerely,
Martin Bould
Head of Consumer Marketing
Telefónica UK Limited"

Rav4
Just received the following email from O2:

"Back in February, we announced our decision to sell our Home Broadband and Home Phone business to Sky.

That sale has now gone through. Which means your home broadband and home phone are now officially with Sky. I'd like to explain what'll happen next and draw your attention to the legal information at the bottom of this email.

Business as usual

You won't notice any changes straightaway. You can still use My O2 to access your bill, and it's the same number to call should you need a hand with your broadband or home phone. You'll receive a separate email about your payments. And remember, your O2 mobile isn't affected by the sale in any way.

You'll be hearing from Sky soon

In the next day or so, you'll get a welcome from Sky. It'll explain how they'll be transferring everyone's broadband and home phone services over to their network, starting this autumn. But if you have any questions before then, you'll find the latest information here.

As before, it's only your broadband and home phone that's moving to Sky. Not your mobile. That's still with us. So there's just one last thing I'd like to say. We wish you - and your broadband and home phone - all the very best.

Yours sincerely,
Martin Bould
Head of Consumer Marketing
Telefónica UK Limited"

Cancelling the o2 stuff today then :D

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I've got my phone and Internet with O2. I think I currently play around £23 for both (line rental included).

I'm wondering how the changes will effect current pricing.

I see Sky charge £14 for line rental alone!

BMW F31
I was paying the following with Sky

Line rental - £14.50
Broadband Connect 40GB Usage - £17 (£10 for the first 12 months as a promotion when I signed up)
Total - £31.50

Now I'm with Plusnet I pay the following

Unlimited Broadband - £8.49 (£16.99 after 12 months)
Line rental incl caller display £14.98
Total £23.47

No contest tbh and the service is superior which is a bonus!

dk

911 GTS Cab
with o2 i pay my £11 line rental with BT with free weekend and evening calls, and then i pay £6.25 a month for unlimited 20mb broadband, i can't see sky getting anywhere near that, but then they can't change my price until my 12 months is up on that current deal anyway, so at least i have until then.

with o2 i pay my £11 line rental with BT with free weekend and evening calls, and then i pay £6.25 a month for unlimited 20mb broadband, i can't see sky getting anywhere near that, but then they can't change my price until my 12 months is up on that current deal anyway, so at least i have until then.

I think we're on a similar thing.
Although been with them for over a year.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I've been with them about 4 years now, but they were good in that they allowed existing customers to have the best deals, sometimes better than new customers joining. I re-signed for an extra 12 months and got the half price bb plus 3 free Xbox games, it was essentially free as the games are worth more than the £70 bb cost for the year.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I've been with them about 4 years now, but they were good in that they allowed existing customers to have the best deals, sometimes better than new customers joining. I re-signed for an extra 12 months and got the half price bb plus 3 free Xbox games, it was essentially free as the games are worth more than the £70 bb cost for the year.

Ace, what games did you get?

I've been with 02 for 23 months - doh lol!!!

Rav4
Cancelled o2.

Tried to get me to renew, even heavily discounted but cancelled it all.

Will order plusnet if I ever get my new place.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Openreach decided that my appointment on Friday was on this coming Monday instead. Fucktards.

Attempt 3 time! Good thing I can work from home.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I don't get people being asked to renew, Since we got o2 broadband its just continued.. must be nearly two years now. Nothing about renewing?
I didn't get asked, I did it myself as I was paying £12.50 a month, by renewing I then paid £6.25 a month and got 3 free Xbox games.

Now who looks silly ;)

Rav4
Ok, now need a new supplier.

Think I will use plusnet, shame about the offer of 1/2 rental not being available anymore.

Only thing that is a bit annoying about plusnet is the reviews regarding it's dodgy billing and requiring two boxes. The modem and router.

I'll have a think and place an order today.

Rav4
Order placed.

Fibre unlimited including phone line (didn't pay for the phone line upfront)

There was an activation fee due to previous owners being with Virgin, cost for that was £49.

According to them, 66MB is the max I can get download.

Earliest install was 29th of May, so going to be a while.

Chose plusnet due to the single fixed fee of £5 for a fixed IP address (one off) instead of £15 a quarter from BT.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I dislike manual processes greatly. Engineer came this morning, taken 3 hours for BT and Plusnet to sign it off and activate my account.

This is OK though.

2704964544.png

Rav4
I dislike manual processes greatly. Engineer came this morning, taken 3 hours for BT and Plusnet to sign it off and activate my account.

This is OK though.

2704964544.png

Agreed on the process.

Speed is very good! Would be good to see how you get on in the next week or so :)

Mk8 GTi CS & Ph1
I use o2 and have done for around 3 years. Service is good and good discount if you have o2 as your phone provider. Had a BT home hub before biggest crock of crap going. And BT customer service was the worst I've ever experienced. Not sure now sky have bought them out. Maybe o2 can get a faster speed now tho as iirc atm they only have 2 speeds?

dk

911 GTS Cab
Got an email from sky today offering me free broadband and sky tv for a year I think, I need to go with a sky phone line and I think I'm tied in to bt at the moment.

Rav4
Finally connected.

PlusNet Fibre service (FTTC)

Engineer came out, installed new master socket (house was previously on Virgin) and tested out the fibre directly, which was getting a consistent 79.85mb download and 19.8mb upload I believe.

Plus net router installed and using my laptop hard wired through there and getting between 50-60mb download and a max of around 13mb upload.

I guess the service will be configuring itself over the next week or so, but I wonder why such a difference between the BT and PlusNet service?

So far, so good though. Rather happy.

Things left to do;

1) Purchase a fixed IP address (one off fee)
2) Purchase a better router !!

Thanks,

​G.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Shame it's such a lottery with Virgin. My connection over WiFi:

2742822504.png

(Upload should be 10Mb, but they haven't upped my upload rate yet)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Finally connected.

PlusNet Fibre service (FTTC)

Engineer came out, installed new master socket (house was previously on Virgin) and tested out the fibre directly, which was getting a consistent 79.85mb download and 19.8mb upload I believe.

Plus net router installed and using my laptop hard wired through there and getting between 50-60mb download and a max of around 13mb upload.

I guess the service will be configuring itself over the next week or so, but I wonder why such a difference between the BT and PlusNet service?

So far, so good though. Rather happy.

Things left to do;

1) Purchase a fixed IP address (one off fee)
2) Purchase a better router !!

Thanks,

​G.

Give Plusnet CS a ring and they'll sort the profile out for you

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Just received an email and been offered the following:

ra4e9ygu.jpg

Or:

bu3abyjy.jpg

Not sure what to do at the minute tbh :(

Rav4
My speed has dropped :(

It had stabilised to around 72mb download and around 15mb upload.

Now getting around 9mb download and 2.6 upload.

Another interesting thing, according to Plusnet, our usage since the install on Thursday has been 48gb. (baring in mind I was away all weekend) however, looking at the stats on the router it states 20.8gb.....

Got a ticket open with PlusNet, let's see what they say.

Fingers crossed.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I got an email from Virgin while I was at download telling me that they'd upped my speed again.

2781205008.png

​Happy days.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
​That is ridiculous.

I'm just happy that there appear to be very few people in my immediate vicinity on VM, most people seem to be either on BT or Sky which is great for my connection. My speed never drops in the evening either, bonus!

Rav4
I'm just happy that there appear to be very few people in my immediate vicinity on VM, most people seem to be either on BT or Sky which is great for my connection. My speed never drops in the evening either, bonus!

Are you on wired or wireless when doing that speed test?

Our Plusnet is around 70mb, wired or wireless in the same room but their router is so shocking that if I change room, whilst on wireless, it drops to around 10mb :(

I thought my 70mb was quick for downloading stuff, but crikey your's must be ridiculous.

I must say, plusnet provide you a breakdown of usage. I never envisaged for LoveFilm to be so hungry.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Wireless.

I have powerline adaptors plugged into the router but that's just to the TiVo boxes can see each other and so that they can be controlled via the app, oh and a raspberry pi is also connected to it.

We use netflix a lot, never have any problems with it. I don't ever check our usage!