ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nurburgring 8:22BTG in my old Honda...

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Morning all,
I spent last week visiting Spa Francorchamps and the Nurburgring in my DC2. 1600 miles in total, 10 litres of oil, and 3 sets of brake pads. Honestly, the best trip I've ever done.
I'm waiting for my mate to upload his pictures of the day so I can do a trip report similar to what I did the first time I went almost 2 years ago, but for now I'd like to share my quickest BTG time of 8:22, beating my last years time by 25s.
Getting under 8:20 next time shouldn't be a problem, but my god was it busy this weekend. Saw a fair few Clios out there, anyone from here?

Best. Day. Ever.

Cheers
Dan

Reactions: C.J

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Didn't look too busy in the video :tongueclosed:

Fast driving though! Awesome.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Good stuff, quick car but 10 litres of oil in 1600 mile??
Oh yes, it's due a rebuild.
C95A193E-4EC6-4B99-B9F1-BD9A963CAA3E_zpszsr5gqeh.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
Heavy braking = You're doing it right.
Good god I hate to think how much slap is in the bores of that DC2 though, that must be a pint of oil on the rear bumper in that pic :D

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Had a bit of bad luck with the pads. Driving through Belgium on the way to Spa I heard a few funny noises from the back, took my caliper off and found my inner offside rear pad was worn down almost to the metal, the rest of the pads had a fair few mm on. Having a mate with us who spoke a bit of French meant I could get some more pads delivered that afternoon (brembo OEM), meaning my trackday wasn't ruined! I thought it was the handbrake sticking on so disconnected it and left it at that.

Then after 2 laps of the 'ring my Dixcel Type Zs decided to give up. Excellent pad, but not at all long lasting. I only fitted them in January. Ended up paying 180 euros for some EBC Blue Stuffs which was way overpriced, but what can you do eh. They seem quite good to be honest though, and all the Swifts run them out there.

Then on the way back I heard my rear brakes again, turns out my caliper was still sticking and had rekt my new pads inside again. I cleaned out the sliders again and refitted an old pad I had kept from the first time just to get me home.

So not quite used 3 sets, but had to buy 3 sets! I'm going to get some EBC Bluestuff for the rears now to match.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Heavy braking = You're doing it right.
Good god I hate to think how much slap is in the bores of that DC2 though, that must be a pint of oil on the rear bumper in that pic :smiley:

Oil control rings and valve stem oil seals are needed, but it still makes good power and that so I'm in no rush!
Going to stop buying Nanodrive though, Fuschs it is!

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
The R4R swifts don't run Blues.... They run an Endless pad compound.

You ever tried any of the Carbotech or Pagid RS pads?

Spotted your DC2 in various videos and photos from over Easter but was trying to work out where i had seen it, Looks like it was going well and that lap proves it, good work.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
The R4R swifts don't run Blues.... They run an Endless pad compound.

You ever tried any of the Carbotech or Pagid RS pads?

Spotted your DC2 in various videos and photos from over Easter but was trying to work out where i had seen it, Looks like it was going well and that lap proves it, good work.

Ah yeah, forgot the Endless pads were blue too! I haven't tried those no, I'm quite happy with the Blues tbh for the price I can get them in England!

Where did you spot my car? It was in a couple of YouTube vids, one being chased by an R8 on my first lap and one chasing a classic Mini round. I'll see if I can find the vids!

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Looks like it was absolutely flying in the first vid, what work has it had done?

Power wise nothing drastic, just a 2.5" custom Mugen exhaust system and Mugen intake. I doubt it makes more than 190bhp, though I've never had it dyno'd.
Most of the work I've done is on the suspension. They handle brilliantly standard but there's always room for improvement. Recently polybushed the car too which made a massive improvement.
My suspension setup is:
Hardrace Bushes in all control arms / rear trailing arm
Hardrace Camber arms front and rear
Hardrace rear toe adjuster arms
Spoon Roll Centre Adjusters
Racing Logic Coilovers (10kg F, 6k R springs)
I run -2 degrees camber up front and -1.4 on the rear. 2mm toe out on the front and 2mm toe in on the rear.
Tyres were Yoko A048 225/45f 195/50r.

Other than that it's stripped pretty much bare, cusco case, few strut bars, Spoon 4 pot brakes up front.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Here's me against the Mini, 2:30 in.

I've got it on my GoPro footage somewhere, but the guy moved across to let me pass, then swerved in at the last minute :( maybe he didn't see me.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like similar conditions as to when i was at Spa, Some of the heaviest rain i have ever seen but it never dried up. So much fun in the wet though and it is still once of my best ever trackdays as well

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Looks like similar conditions as to when i was at Spa, Some of the heaviest rain i have ever seen but it never dried up. So much fun in the wet though and it is still once of my best ever trackdays as well

Agreed mate, despite the weather it was still epic.