ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Number plates - Whats legal?

2001 172
Ok, so my reg is C11ohp (O for orange, not zero) and currently my plate reads Clio HP, so pretty illegal and rightly I've just been pulled and given a VDRM notice to get it changed. I've got the MOT plates so I'll just bonk them on to get this thing stamped.

My question is, what can you geet away with. I'm looking at http://www.pristine-plates.co.uk/ and thinking that I'd like to have the below lettering on my plate :

C11O HP (whereas I think it should prob read C11 OHP) is this going to cause an issue?

also, these people offer renault emblems and GB emblems and borders and such like. How legal are these? I gather these paltes wont have either a BSAU no. or the plate providers details.

Anyone offer me any guidance? I think 'C110 HP' should be fine?

Clio
If the registration is C11 OHP that is how it has to read, if your car is post 2001 you need a British Standard number printed on it and your only allowed either a EU or GB print on the left of the plate.

Shaun - so you got pulled for having it spaced wrongly & you want to get some plates made up with it wrong still ??

As Mace says, as it's C11 OHP that's what it has to say.
It can't be spaced C11O HP.

2001 172
well I've only just brought the car, and the chap had Clio HP (with the 2nd 1 having a really small gap at the top so it reads as an ''I") The policeman had no isse about the spacing, he only mention the lettering font and the fdact it wad displayed an an I and not a 1.

Sure if I have C110 HP in the legal font and design with nothing bar that on it, they shouldn't have too much of a problem with that should they ?

Audi TT
I would I'm afraid. Pet hate. Slap and run with photo's to the DVLA as evidence. Get done twice and the DVLA love being able to sell the plate again to someone else. Fact.

2001 172
I would I'm afraid. Pet hate. Slap and run with photo's to the DVLA as evidence. Get done twice and the DVLA love being able to sell the plate again to someone else. Fact.

I would I'm afraid? sorry fella, I'm confused? you would what ?

Mini Cooper S sport
It's illegally spaced and you'd probably get pulled again sooner or later. You might just as well have a legal one made up, illegal spacing looks stupid anyway.

My mate has W9ENT if thats not spaced how are they legal? Are there different types? :S

That plate should be space W9 ENT, if not it's illegal. I really don't know why so many people find it so hard to understand number plates.

Dynamique Flamer
That plate should be space W9 ENT, if not it's illegal. I really don't know why so many people find it so hard to understand number plates.

Sorry! But she has never been pulled for it? :S She should have been though?

Da

Less
W9ENT should be W9 ENT otherwise it is illegal, I had DAZ24 27 for an age until I got pulled for it.
Now reads DAZ 2427 with no hassle.

2001 172

I don't think not understanding them is the issue (at least not for me), people just want to see what they can get away with. My cars 100% legal, insured tax'd and MOT'd and whether the plate is C11 ohp or C11o HP, either way the letters are perfectly legible.

Da

Less
It's the ANPR system that cannot read them whether they're legible or not. The ANPR is only designed to read the correct format and if your plate is incorrectly spaced then it cannot be read automatically.

Think of your numberplate as more like a barcode.

As above, it wouldn't register on the ANPR system. So you will get pulled for it. Not worth it.

If you want C110 HP then buy that, your reg is C11 0HP

Simples :)

If you keep getting pulled for the same thing, the DVLA can revoke your plate.

2001 172
but thats the thing, surely C110 HP doesnt exist, as it is affectively my plate? the fact that its displayed as 110 doesnt matter, as its not a numerical value is it?

Da

Less
C110 HP doesn't exist no as it's the wrong format.

You could however get C110 BHP ;)

If you've already been pulled for your plate, space the new ones illegally and you WILL get pulled again, as they'll be paying particular attention to your car next time they see you.

2001 172
C110 HP doesn't exist no as it's the wrong format.

You could however get C110 BHP ;)

I did consider having a search for it, but then thought I couldnt afford to stretch to whatever silly figure the owner would want for it. I've never been one for personal plates before, but bought the car with it and I quite like it. Maybe I'll just get some legal ones made up ? hmmm decisions

"Navy" N17 TWO
Yeah, just get a standard one :)

DSC00037.jpg

If you're keen, stick them on with heavy-duty velcro pads & swap them with your "show plate" for photo's etc.

2001 172
Tigger, You have a cold air feed in the bottom gril? how did you do it? do you have any pics of the feed pipe you've used, as I want to do that?

cheers

"Navy" N17 TWO
Bought the lower grill & CAF from another member on here and got some duct from my local bodyshop who worked on my previous car so gave it to me at a good price :)

Needed to cut a little bit of arch-liner out of the way and run the duct up towards the Maxogen

Black RS200
Just a small point to this post, i got pulled for my plates (smaller letters with blue shadow) which i have now changed, i have been told if your number plate is illegal then your insurance is VOID. One reason is if your car gets stolen then chances are the ANPR system wont read your plate so it wont flag up as stolen if it passes one.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Well if you have an illegal modification of any kind then technicly your car wouldn't pass MOT so wouldn't be legaly on the road.

Audi TT
Are you a policeman :)

Sure am.

As stated many times by people anything other than the correct characters, spacing etc with a BS stamp and details of the place of maufacture are technically illegal.

ANPR systems do have a bit of a time reading stuff that's messed about with. If the plate is really jiggered about then depending who deals with you then you could be looking at serious offences. If it's so illegible that wouldn't get traced back to you after being snapped by speeding cameras then how about trying a pervert the course of justice charge? Crown court only job? Quite a few other offences can be taken into consideration some of which are triable either way. Not saying that the CPS would want to run them and people wont just get a slap on the wrist but worse case scenario could be stood in court explaining to a judge why you feel that you can not bother displaying your plate in the correct manner like millions of other road users have to.

Seriously though messed up plates and fog lights are both pet hates of mine so I'm probably not the best person to comment on it especially as I'm shattered from not finishing until 04:30am

G

RS 172+
I see soooo many plates illegally spaced... at least one or two a day. Are they really being actively monitored by the police?

1.4 mk3 Clio
I was thinking about getting a private reg do you have to buy if from DVLA or can you get it from other sites ?

Audi TT
Plates are higher priority in some forces than others but the traffic and ANPR teams will dish tickets out regularly. Bobbies on the street as and when they get chance.

As for getting a private plate I'd always say go through DVLA for cheapest price. Other sites sell at a premium and then just buy it from DVLA anyway after you've paid through the nose for it.

G