ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front number plate, what to buy - if to buy - did you buy?

Csp

ph1
Hello,
I've scoured through alot of old thread's regarding what people have done with ther front plate.? 3/4 plate seems polular from what ive read. Also came across people having 520x84/90mm plates, same length as standard but smaller height? Was thinking of one but dont really wanna get pulled for it.

Another thing, some people have bought standard sized plates that are completely plain... well apart from the registration but someone somewhere said you still need a postcode and something about BSAU145d markings that are needed on the plate for it to be legal?

came across a thread, you can have smaller size plates thats still legal. There prob only gonna be a few mm smaller than standard but may look a but better than standard. anyone know what size these are?
Any pictures of anyone having these plain as possible plain plates (that are legal)
smiley1.gif

Last edited:
  Renault Clio RS182
As far as i can make out, aslong as the font and sizing is correct and the plate conforms to BS AU 145d, which must be marked on the plate, along with the name and postcode of the manufacturer and the supplier of the plate, then it should be legal.
Font sizes below;
Character Height
79 mm
Character Width (except the figure 1 or letter I)
50 mm
Character stroke
14 mm
Space between characters
11 mm
Space between groups
33 mm
Space between vertical lines

In theory that means you could display a legal plate of 80mm, aslong as everything else is displayed.
19 mm

Last edited:
The smallest height you can have legally is 11+79+11 (gap, letter, gap) so 101mm.

Anything else is illegal.

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
the 520x84/90 are what people regard as the 3/4 plates, they won't get you through an MOT so you need to keep the standard size for that, I am pretty sure blank plates are fine, unless your car is 06 registration or newer, then you need the place or postcode of where the car was first registered.