ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Number plates saga...

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
Hi

18 months ago I needed a pair of plates for my personal reg., got these done at the local motor factor, after explaining how I needed them doing etc., didn't look too bad across the counter but when I got them back and had a closer look, I could see that both had damage where they had been broken out of the mould or whatever.

As the reg., has special significance to me, I wasn't having them, took them back and the guy looked at the rest of his stock of naked plates and all were marked the same, so had my money back and looked elsewhere....

After several phone calls, I found a local car detailer and I explaining what I wanted "yes, we can - we got the latest machines etc.", OK, so got the plates done and paid a premium, they were how I wanted and I was mildly (but not completely) satisfied.

These have been fitted to the car for the last 18 months, but after last summer noticed that the laminate-plastic was lifting and bubbling on the rear plate.

Is this 'how it is' with number plate makers? or is possible to get number plates done properly somewhere?

I made a few other enquiries, and mostly the response was "they're number plates mate', is there anywhere they will be 'crafted' to a high standard, and last longer than 12 months?

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
"They don't last forever" - not even 18 months?, I've got some original plates from 1992, still looking pretty good.

Cars are cars, so why do we drool over them?

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure how legal the plates are from these online suppliers, they can meet the legal spec. in most ways but as you do not have to show them the documents, how can they be as I believe this is a legal requirement for UK plates?
Most state that they are 'show plates' only - no matter even if they are 'standard' spec.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Well mines been through 4 MOT's and driven for past 5 years with 'non legal' plates.

But as above its a number plate, buy them from Halfords if you want 'legal plates'

I've still got toys from 1992 that haven't fallen to bits.

Welcome to 2013 where most stuff you buy is made from cheap s**t materials.

www.renparts.co.uk
I've always used fancy plates they have an option for legal and illegal plates and they have always been spot on!