ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NSX on Fire

Turbos.
So, today wasn't great. As Nick's sent me the pics, here is what's happened... i'll give the full story later! Not much to say though, as obviously our race weekend didn't last long... :dapprove:

875105635_kKNRm-L.jpg

Turbos.
It was an oil leak Gaz...

Having been at Castle Combe last weekend and the car being fine, we expected to have a trouble free weekend! Had problems pretty much straight away though...

First of all, we were greeted with with rain and fog on a day that was meant to be 24c! Perhaps it was an omen?! Anyway, my old man went out in the practice and complained about the brakes. It seemed he'd just forgotten they weren't very feelsome, as i managed to go about three seconds quicker. After a couple of laps though, the exhaust became very loud so i was called in. Turned out the backbox had fallen apart, so it was whipped off!

875091288_bkWjP-L.jpg

P1070679.jpg

Fortunately another team had a welder, so it was fixed with additional strengthening (it's a standard road exhaust that has done about 90k!) just before the first qualifying session.

P1070681.jpg

My dad did most of the session and improved him time. We weren't last, woop!

875091835_BeGhW-L.jpg

875093188_FRrWn-L.jpg

875097084_ncGsb-L.jpg

875096189_sjZqe-L.jpg

Towards the end of the session though, we noticed some smoke on the TV (fortunately we have a camera in the engine bay) so called him in. Things didn't look too bad, until the undertrays were taken off...they were covered in oil! My dad complained of oversteer, which was down to oil being on the rear tyres...lol.

Looking at the data, the oil temperature had fallen off...so clearly it was leaking. Upon inspection, we were getting surge at the top of the engine which wasn't an easy fix! The guys thought up a bodge though, and thought we'd be ok to start!

Unfortunately i didn't get to do my qualifying session, but i was confident so wanted my dad to start the race.

875104376_Axuny-L.jpg

Again looking at the TV, we saw smoke as soon as he put his foot down. We started to walk out of the garage to see what the car looked like going round, but then the flames started!

875105047_5XC6o-L.jpg

875105404_hPDVT-L.jpg

My dad pulled over quick sharpish. Took a while to recover the car as the towing strap had melted!

875106391_8iptw-L.jpg

The NSX was then dumped in the collecting area, feeling sorry for itself. Damage is largely superficial, but the engine loom is fcuked and needs re-doing. Obviously the engine is buggered too, but even before being on fire, we knew it clearly needed attention!

875095830_AEz87-L.jpg

P1070689.jpg

P1070693.jpg

P1070698.jpg

P1070699.jpg

So, thats two races i haven't done in a row now. We're not going to rush the repair, we will use the Elise for the next round. We're going to build two engines so we have a spare ready to go. Will try and develop it in other areas too...

The phoenix will rise again! Just a shame we've single handedly fcuked Honda's reliability record in each race so far LOL.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Bad times Rob, nothing you can do now but learn from it and move on!

Least you're old man's ok!

Ah man that's a s**tter. All part of the thrills & spills of racing though I suppose. At least no one was injured, plus the damage could have been a lot worse I guess.

Turbos.
Yeah, my dad got out in plenty of time and the extinguisher did it's job! Not the best day for my mum to come and watch us though!

To clarify, we thought we had fixed/bodged the problem we didn't just send it out again after practice without trying anything ;)

Its very disappointing not to get seat time, as it's something i really feel i need. But yeah, 'that's racing.'

172 Race Car
Bad luck mate, I guess with developing a car at the races this kind of thing is always a possabilty.

What caused the oil surge? Will other engines be affected?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
glad everything is ok, racing is racing and it seems like you have a backup plan anyway, car does look mean though!

i was gonna say dont you have to have extinguishers like the bdc have to have, i have always wanted to pull one but the mess they leave is massive lol!

you gonna get a custom loom done or use stock?

Turbos.
Seems like it's the nature of the engine's design for it to get surge at the top. Surge in the sump is normal for any road car turned race car, so normally you'd get an accusump or dry sump the engine (it's got neither currently...), but the top of the engine is much harder to fix! I'm not very technical, but hopefully the engine builder will have an idea.

Already has a custom loom, the OEM one was a huge mess! So it will be relatively straight forward to fix... but not cheap sadly.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Shame to see that but at least it didnt totally gut the car! Good luck with the repairs

Glad no-one was hurt - shame to have a setback such as this - hope you get it all sorted for future rounds.

As for a GT car on fire, you fared a little better than the Babini/Bartocci Lambo at Brno this weekend.

lambo_20.jpg

what happened to the above alex?!!?

sorry to hear rob, everyones ok and she'll return though :)

i know you dont wanna hear it but the NSX looks awesome with flames shooting outta the back!!!

vtec just kicked in y0!/etc

2003 Clio 1.6 Dynamique
Unlucky there mate, shame about the engine but glad to see you're enthusiastic about getting 2 engines built and getting back out there! Best of luck with it mate!

Focus ST-2
875104376_Axuny-L.jpg

Great picture, the Corvette at the front is the team I worked for one summer, they're based in Warrington, hope it won!!!

Gutted for you with the fire though that's really unlucky :(