ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Novice Saxo VTS Track car - Donny style

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I always thought you actually lived in Donny until the Tealey picture and that!

DN postcode is as good as it gets in the bridge. Pontefract healthcare, castelford phone number, classed as Goole/North humberside - No-one really knows how to categorise us. I guess thats why its full of specials, like me and Dan.
I used to go and watch Donny rovers and the nearest postal town is in Doncaster etc etc. Leeds is my home city, but its just as sh(t as donny tbf.

E46 M3 + Ph1 172
We had a 106 track car, got fed up with building it as we took it a bit far, no heater, new engine, nothing was off the original car, so broke it for parts and got the Ph1 for £1400 iirc, sold the interior and used some money left from the 106 and got the tyres, whiteline seats etc..
Plans for Coilovers and a cage, but not till the winter, enjoy it on track first...

It was a long day, were from Peterborough, so left at 6am, got home around 7pm, then went to the pub, nearly fell asleep and came home at 11. Id done 2x 12 hour shifts at work on the sat and sun lol.

Your from Doncaster I assume?

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
A few updates to the track car, but the budget has now expired, so nothing major.

I bought a decent second hand radiator from saxp, but it wasnt boxed well enough and reached my house in this condition (and thats the good side):

IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

Only cost £16 and I was refunded, so no major problem - but I just decided to buy a new one from a local motor store at £80 and have done with it.
Fitted it inbetween looking after a sick wife and lack of childcare.

The other job I wanted to do was clear a path from the fog lamps (which have been removed) to the brakes. On one side you have a horn:

IMG_1526.jpg

And the other side, you have a fresh air pump that was used on later saxo's to keep emissions down - basically pumped fresh air into the exhaust manifold on startup:

IMG_1458.jpg

Removed all of the fresh air rubbish, which weighs about 5 or 6kg, so a bit of weight saved too.

IMG_1525.jpg

The horn was a different matter, I just relocated it further up the wheel arch.

I also 'meshed' the front grill and fog blanks - fast and furious style, although you can't see it from the pictures. Essentially the luvres have been cut out of the grill and I just meshed it behind. I started this task before replacing the radiator, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

IMG_1529.jpg

I've parked the car up now for a few weeks whilst I save up for brake pads. Looking likely they'll be RC6 Carbone Lorraine's. In preperation for the new pads, I have sourced a few other bits:

- Upgraded master cylinder to GTI6 spec (not pictured)
- Extended braided brake lines for the front (not pictured)
- 283mm GTI6 front calipers

IMG_1544.jpg

- Brembo HC discs for the front (cheers George)

IMG_1539.jpg

Then my other car broke down, the focus ST. The wife had been complaining that it wasn't driving as well as it should do and every now and again it displayed ESP failure messages and went into limp mode. I dismantled the MAF and cleaned it then reset the KAM and its like new again.

IMG_1531.jpg

The final parts are to get the pads (obviously) fit the TRS tow strap and then look at moving the battery from the front, to the rear. The 283mm setup is heavy and I'm concious of the nose dive stance that the car has already adopted. I think I'll start collecting some bracketry for the battery and take it from there. the grinder is also waiting to come out to remove a few 'protrusions' also want to remove the rear wiper - just not had any time.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Updates y0.

Blyton is coming around again on the 29th (a week away) and so I had a Saturday to crack on.

Stuff purchased recently:

- Brand new Radiator
- Stud and nut conversion
- Team Dynamics Pro race 1.2's with 20mm spacers
- Spigot rings
- Caliper rebuild kit (more on that later)
- Ferodo DS3000 front pads
- Stainless steel 4-2-1 manifold
- Brembo HC discs (283mm)
- GTI 6 calipers (283mm)
- Braided hoses
- TRS tow strap
- Polycarbonate windows
- More brake fluid
- More stickers (still not put them on yet)

Times I've fallen out with wife this month = 4.

Radiator fitted easily.

And so, I managed to get the discs and pads, new lines, calipers and fluid sorted - only to find that one brake is doing all the work. So its either sticking or one just isn't working. after a few hours I gave up and thought Id just order a rebuild kit and start again :( bit disappointed but they are second (maybe 15th) hand calipers. It doesn't help that we snapped one of the rear bleed nipples and thus I'm not totally convinced all the air is out. Hey ho.

Manifold went on pretty easily - lots of weight saved from the cast iron unit as well, no pics yet.
Tow strap was also easy - half the weight of the original tow hook :)

Wheels arrived and I had my R888's put on them - to find the guy had sent only 1 spigot - although not technically needed, the 888's weigh a tonne and it was a pain getting the bolts aligned whilst balancing the wheel with my feet. They are ford fit wheels, so needed 20mm spacers (which they came with). So ordered some spigots, £7 ftw.

Stud and nut conversion arrived too - haven't fitted it yet.

Polycarbonate windows - have not arrived, doubt they will before the 29th. Managed to get a full set for £193. Bundled them in with a deal for the Clio (Len wanted some) and his came back at £215! bargain - but we'll see what they are like when they arrive before getting too excited.

Here's what she looks like now:

td1.2a.jpg

td1.2c.jpg

Polycarbs will also free up more weight as the window mechanisms can come out - along with the rear wiper assembly. I've also been looking at a single wiper conversion - but they always go for silly money on Ebay.
Fancy getting a race battery to trim some more weight on the front next month, which should offset the weight I've added with the 283mm caliper conversion. More importantly is to get some form of adjustable brake bias configured - will have to research. The back will no doubt want to overtake the front and with more stopping power + weight up front, I'm sure it isn't optimal, using the stock configuration.

Plenty of stickers to go on as well - to hide stone chips and dents!

Also got some real race slicks (collected from Spa - not by me) put on the Pug wheels I used to run. One of the lads who has a roll cage in his paxo will run them on the day. There is still a little question mark about running slicks means you need a cage? dunno.

slicks.jpg

I didn't manage to get the car done in time for the TOPO meet - just hoping I get time to rebuild the calipers and that cures it before the weekend.

P.S just had a text to say the windows will be here tomorrow - need some tiger seal then.

Last edited:

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Propper shed mate.

Cant believe the progress you have made.

I thought this was meant to be a cheap project!!!!

I know mate. It has got out of hand. I need medication tbf.
Stuff is just so cheap for these, I can't help myself.

120d M Sport
Wouldn't bother with cams personally. Got a good engine set up there with the breathing mods, if your a good driver you'll could probably pass a cammed one on track

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Wouldn't bother with cams personally. Got a good engine set up there with the breathing mods, if your a good driver you'll could probably pass a cammed one on track

Best get some cams then.
Jim defo needs some as well.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
The cams really make a difference, I raced loads of VTS / VTR / 106's and the difference between a cammed VTS vs a standard VTS is nearly the same as VTS vs VTR.

No way would a standard car catch my Cammed VTS, definately for the cams IMO.

Its all about the torque with cams though.

Mine had mild cams in but the difference between my mates stripped 106 and my saxo was nothing. But I could have 3 people in the car and it would be just as quick wheres even a passenger would make his car slower. In gear I could s**t all over him as well.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Its all about the torque with cams though.

Mine had mild cams in but the difference between my mates stripped 106 and my saxo was nothing. But I could have 3 people in the car and it would be just as quick wheres even a passenger would make his car slower. In gear I could s**t all over him as well.

Hmmm... Interesting. What were the cams?

Also, I hope you never shat on anyone. Unless you're German and being paid to do so.

120d M Sport
I agree in a way as I got rinsed by a cammed 106 on a straight line when my 106, engine wise, was similar to yours.

On track though it really is a minefield and a different matter altogether, my mate got passed in his vts by a Dci Clio and he wasn't even doing badly do it just goes to show. Depends whether you can justify the outlay. Remember it will probably use a fair bit more juice too.

They weren't even great cams tbh. They were kent p50s, they came in the engine I bought for my vtr to convert it. The ecu was remapped by Wayne. But they did a good job.

The difference was noticable. My saxo had a full interior and could keep up/leave my mates standard 16v rallye. Off the line he could edge away but top end 110+ I could wave good bye.

I say his was standard but both our cars had the "standard" saxo/106 list of parts. 421 manifold on both cars, supersprints and bmc cdas. These should all come standard on them though.

He didn't like it lets put it that way.

pimp mobile Zafira
Good plans mate. I see the budget got blasted out of the water! Little Ruby is doing great thanks.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Going back to a point mentioned previously, javelin don't seem to be that strict on running slicks without a cage.

See below on their faqs:

"Can I run on slick tyres?
Yes, but they must be in good condition and the track conditions must be suitable. Before using slicks you should seriously consider whether your cars specification is suitable. It is strongly recommended that any car using slicks should have roll over protection fitted. Please note that some venues only allow road tyres."

That to me, says its recommended but not essential?