ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

not so reliable clios...

ph1 172
Driving home on saturday and my back box fell off. Luckily i had an 8mm spanner in the car so took it off and put it in the boot. Had load sof tools at my parents house but wasnt intending to go back there until nearly christmas so i thought i could just drive it for a month or so with no back box...

soon realised that it was stupidly loud and decided to stop at mine, grabed a change or pants and headed to the parents straight away.

200 miles later i arrived at their house with tissue in my ears and pretty much deaf. I welded up the exhaust saturday evening and Dad had a look around the car and pointed out that the aux belt had moved over on the crank pulley and it was badly worn. £10 belt, No worries i thought!

On closer inspection the bottom small idler pulley was very noisy and the plastic tensioner pulley had a couple of holes in it. Obvoisly this was sunday now so on Monday i get things ordered and spend hours scraping and cutting my hands fltting the bits.

Had to buy a whole tensioner kit (about 110 +vat) and take Monday as holiday.

I knew these cars were high maintenance but hopefully thats it for now...

Oh, i still have a wheel bearing to do

Ph1
Common thing on Clio Sports the pulleys but its just luck of the draw. They will always need replacing at some point in the cars life, you just happen to own the car when they need doing.

Exhaust could happen to any car really :)

n2x

e60/f10
Unlucky mate. I just had the same thing happen to me a week ago. The exhaust fell off and as i was on a highway, had to rip it off. Everyones looking when im driving past them now :/ Anyway, it fell off because of the rust so no way i can weld it back together.

RB 200 Cup!
good job you can do that sort of thing yourself tho - i imagine a garage would rape you to do it

audi a6 3.0tdi
all common problems that you are going to encounter at some time. i'd not bother with a standard system. the car i have just bought has reciepts for five back boxes lol

ph1 172
im sticking with the standard exhuast system as i dont want anything even 1db louder and also for insurance. Louder induction noise is good, but exhuast noise wears pretty thin on long journeys.

Yeah to do the tensioner would probably cost a lot at a garage, also they wouldnt have welded the exhaust, so the whole weekend would have cost £350+ and at least it was spotted before the belt came off and took out the cam belt too!

Williams
What i find, all through the summer & last year, i have no problems with the car! Works perfect. Now its cold, wet and im skint. everything decides to fall to peices. Mint. Urgh.

ph1 172
I checked it all over soooo carefully at home when it was up in the air last week but now the centre section is leaking. Crappy clios

Nissan 350z
My Clio has been nothing but trouble since i got it.

Problems:
- Dodgey seat fold mechanism - Resolved by replacement seat. £100
- Tapping noise when starting cold (suspected oil/filter change might resolve)
- Whirring noise dependant on road speed (suspected wheel bearing on way out)
- Alot of engine noise @ 3k revs (suspected cat or exhaust silencer problem)
- Stiff clutch pedal - Resolved by clutch change. £300.
- Juddering at biting point (suspected loose flywheel casing, poss flywheel itself)

Proactive:
- Belt change - Done. £200
- Service - Done. £100

And thats just the things ive noticed!!

If i was to pay up and have all of the above fixed by a garage the car is probably a write off. Its only because ive been doing 1 thing per month with my friend that ive been able to afford to keep it on the road. Seriously fucked off at the moment.