ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not feeling the Photography love...

I've mentioned it briefly before, but has anyone gone through a phase of having no interest in photography whatsoever? One minute it was my life, now I literally can't even bring myself to take a photo. I can't say anything in particular has caused it, I just stopped one day and haven't even really thought about it since, it was only a commission at the weekend that got me out with my camera again...usually the thrill of being printed would have me grinning like an insane person, but I just couldn't be bothered in the slightest.

As an idea of how uninterested I am, I didn't even go to Castle Combe yesterday. Anyone who knows me will know how rare that is, people were asking why I wasn't there!

Very odd, it's getting worse as I've just sat down to sort some pictures for a publication that is buying a load from me, and I just have no interest in even looking through them, it's got to that extreme stage. I've got motorsport photos sat on my PC from 3 weeks ago that I've not even opened yet, I might have some belters in there...but I can't be bothered to look.

My most important question though, does it come back?! I remember when we were in NYC, and in an odd way I was itching to get back to sort my photos, I've been thinking about our next holiday and I actually fear that I will snap away for 3 weeks, load them onto my PC and never do anything with them.

Am I sick?!

PM me your address, I'm coming to slap you.

Seriously though, I'm kind of the same at the minute, stopped my 52, and gave a half arsed entry for the last comp, camera is sat in the cupboard and has been for 2 weeks now.

Maybe something will spur you on soon enough, but it looks like its something big if money isn't motivating you. You're an inspiration to me, and always have a good look at your stuff, your site is even one of my top bookmarks too.

Hope you get the bug back Chris.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
yeh it happens, been working for an agency for a while now but i wont touch my camera for fun, used to be with me all the time, i havent even thought about taking it out unless its work... been through this before though and it did come back :)

Rally bus
Have you tried photographing something completely different from normal? I get sick of shooting rallying but getting out in the country and doing some landscapes or doing some portrait stuff keeps me interested in photography generally.

Fiat Panda 100hp
I haven't lost the love, but I don't photograph for any kind of recognition now like I used to, only for myself and for me and my family to look back at.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm still not fully back into it. Still get pissed off, take cop out shots etc. It'll come back, get a new toy for the camera?

Oddly, I do enjoy taking photos with my iPhone, trying to stretch it to its limits to see what's possible. I've been interested in going lo-fi for sometime, but couldn't be dealing with film with things such as a Holga.

I've actually just sold my 20mm 1.8, so now all I have left is a (broken) Sigma 120-300 2.8. It's fair to say that if I did get back into it, my options would be somewhat limited considering I only have a 2.6kg lens at my disposal!

Have you tried photographing something completely different from normal? I get sick of shooting rallying but getting out in the country and doing some landscapes or doing some portrait stuff keeps me interested in photography generally.

I've had a bash at most things over the past couple of years, aside from motorsport the only thing that gets me really buzzing is shooting cities like New York....obviously not possible particularly frequently!

Financially I've pretty much cut myself off now anyhow, sold everything that works and booked a big holiday for next year (which I will be renting equipment for) so my options are limited between now and then.

Oddly, I do enjoy taking photos with my iPhone, trying to stretch it to its limits to see what's possible. I've been interested in going lo-fi for sometime, but couldn't be dealing with film with things such as a Holga.

I've actually just sold my 20mm 1.8, so now all I have left is a (broken) Sigma 120-300 2.8. It's fair to say that if I did get back into it, my options would be somewhat limited considering I only have a 2.6kg lens at my disposal!

I've just bought an old Nikkor 50mm f2 lens (pre 70s!) as something different to try and get back into it, go to basics but without the expense of film. Could try doing something like that?

A4 Avant
Prior to Monday I hadn't used my camera for over 8 months, hadn't missed using it. At donny yesterday had a great time, shot from some places I haven't tried before and got good results. Can't wait to get out again now.

IMO take your rest away from it and try not to force it, I think you'll rekindle your love for it.

I'm the same, find myself just getting my camera out to help out mates, do product shots etc. In my own time it doesn't see much use, could probably be using the 2.5k I've probably spent on better things at the mo lol

But when I do use it, I love it...

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I'm genuinely sad to hear this again. Some of your photos are some of the best I've ever seen, really cracking stuff. Your guides have been excellent too, really helped me understand further. I always enjoy looking through your pics.

Hope you get back into it one day, a lost talent otherwise!

Mk2 ph1 clio
I started off doing alot of landscapes and got really bored/tired with it.... then moved onto wildlife and i can't wait itl my next day off to get out and about because i never know what im gonna see.. unless im after a barn owl or kingfisher then i can pick my spots!

vers le haut doigt milieu
1stly I cannot directly explain or compare your situation as I don’t know you that well but here is a attempt to elaborate

Everyone reaches the threshold that you have highlighted above Chris, this is epically true with digital photography it is very easy to constantly achieve the limit of perfection with no real "reward of satisfaction". What I mean by this is that your hobby and job within photography has become almost second nature to you and you have (had) the best equipment you can afford, every time you press the shutter and capture an image you know is going to kick arse, now if you will, compare this to driving and racing around a circuit. imagine you had a car which is (was) the same calibre as your camera a amazingly crafted machine designed for one goal with accessories that only enhance the ability to achieve success. As you can imagine it would it would be amazing to drive and every time you do a lap it will be perfect leaving your error as the only variable, after a while, once you have matched your skill behind the wheel to that of your photographic ability you would start to "lose the love" however you will be backed up by scores and scores of adrenaline flowing through your brain every time you complete a lap almost giving you an excuse to continue.

As you know it's not just you who goes through this and in fact this is the reason why many photographers have the thought of whether or not its a good idea to do p**n, I obviously can't speak directly for your problem as there is a lot about you I don't understand but I hope this comparison helps. You know you receive a certain amount of satisfaction from these images otherwise you wouldn't keep doing it but if the thought of taking another photo is almost making you feel sick then don't worry, you're not alone.

There are a couple of things I can think you can do now; either realise your cherry popped a long time ago and now you have become a ***** doing the thing you once loved and cherished repeatedly for money. Or go crazy take a photos of everything and anything, all the photographers I know are bonkers, this is probably why!

RS Megane DCi 175
I understand your frustrations mate – you sound like you need a new motivation! I would say this could be achieved by trying to get to the same level as your peers but I’m a big fan of your work and you’re already at such a high level already maybe you should look at a different approach. Have you thought maybe about teaching others? I know you did some really useful tutorials on here and I don’t know if you’re a member on any other sites where you have done similar tutorials / guides – but maybe you could take this a step further?
Maybe if you actually did lessons or ‘critiques’ on other peoples work? One to one or to a few people? I don’t know if there’s the demand for this where you are locally – I’d be interested though! It’d probably be a good little earner for you – and seeing other people learn and improve may well re-ignite your passion for photography.
Just my 2c anywho! I hope you find something and stick around - I always look out for your photos on here / your website.

Cupra
As has already been pointed out, you have already reached the dizzy heights of being commissioned to do work, getting published and having some truly amazing photos in your portfolio. I can understand why you feel need to take a step back and not pick up the camera for a while.

The good thing is, it is like riding a bike, once you know how to, you wont loose it. :D

If you want inspiration, knock the Mrs up and then you'll be snap happy for the years to come. 90% of all my shots these days are the kids!

Nikon D700
I've been feeling the same recently Chris, but a trip into London on a superbly stunning bank holiday Monday rekindled a little bit of my love.

I was gutted when I had to call it a day on my 365, which murdered any love I had for photography. Felt gutted that I couldn't follow it through.

I was sitting in Hyde Park on Monday thinking about what I can do, and where I can go with Photography, and until people hire me, I cannot afford more kit. The only thing I could think to do is to sell my Sigma 70 - 200 and go wide-angle. I don't shoot motorsport much, and if I do any, I will rent.

I know exactly how you feel, but shooting the city made me feel all warm again. As for what I shot, it wasn't particularly good, but it got me excited again.

Maybe a trip will do you good....

I went through the same stage. Stopped my 365 and didn't have any motivation to start taking pics of anything.

Had a few things that I took my camera with me (London/Zoo/Red Arrows) and it's kinda got the love back again. Had my first proper crack at track photography on sunday and enjoyed it.

Don't think of having 1 lens as a bad thing, use it as an excuse to be more creative.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i've not taken a pic for months, not through any lost love, just haven't been anywhere different to take the camera.

been on a stag do to prague and am going on another stag do to barcelona on friday where i would love to take the camera but stag do's and 3k of camera do not mix!

Normally I'd be singing from that hymn sheet, especially if it was a 50mm or something...but a Sigma 120-300?! It weighs more than my car!

What about getting another 50mm? You can get them cheap enough really.

Shame to waste a talent.

RS Megane DCi 175
In all honesty, I think the 365's and 52's have destroyed it for a fair few people.

True. I don't think I could've kept up with it if I'd started one - maybe a 52 - but it turns taking a photo into something of a chore, like something you need to do rather than wanting to do it for the fun and enjoyment.

True. I don't think I could've kept up with it if I'd started one - maybe a 52 - but it turns taking a photo into something of a chore, like something you need to do rather than wanting to do it for the fun and enjoyment.

I'm getting pig sick of my 52 TBH, but only have 17 shots left to take lol.

Motorbikes
Same here tbh.

Never got a chance to go out due to uni and work, after exams I was out everyweekend at Knockhill snapping away, now my camera has lay unuased for best part of a month apart from one wee stint where I got some of my better shots, then in Paris I took it but couldnt be arsed to even carry it.

Just the other day my mate contacted me about an abandoned hospital he wants to scope out which is something I've never done before so its got me interested again.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i sold all my kit a few months ago as i knew i just wan't going to able to get much use out of it. I still enjoy taking photos, but i'll only take my camera on holiday, for family for a day out. I've limited myself to a d40 with one lens. Where that doesn't go my cameraphone will. Some of my favourite photos have been taken with it, because it captured the moment that otherwise would have been lost.