ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not enjoy my new 182

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Shdhdhd
I think I posted this thread to show myself that I'm being silly and that much enjoyment can be had from a 182. I've made myslf look silly in the process and explained everything wrong and made it seem like I fly everywhere in my 1.6 and that a 2.0rs is too quick. Havnt been to any meets yet
and I think gojng for a drive with fellow Clio sporters would be a pretty good experience

Listerine & Poledo
You can't use an RS clio with any real conviction around Cambridge. Get out towards Suffolk, Norfolk & Essex, you'll soon find some roads that you'll be glad you're not in a 1.6....or a Golf for that matter (whichever brand of golf you go for...well, with the exception of a SEAT Cupra R)

Shdhdhd
Snails just seen ur post. That's a more realistic price and hopefully will get it cheaper. Mpg in 1.6 reads usually 33 182 reads between 28-30 so I've noticed but the petrol still seems to go Down pretty quick

RS Clio 182
i have had lots of cars over the last few years, normal run of the mill mondeo's, vectras etc and also 2 impreza's and iv just sold a 330i to get my 182, and i can honestly say this is the the car iv had the most fun in, im 23 and my mrs is 20, we are both insured on it for 1200 a year inc monthly installments but i was paying about the same on the run of the mill crap i owned, you will deffinitley get your insurance cheaper, thats just my oppinion, if you dont like it just sell it, the only reason people are taking the piss is because you set yourself up for it the way you worded your first thread

Ph1 172.
It might take a while to grow on you, but I love the handling of the my 172. I also love the accelaration through 1st, 2nd and to the top of third, but in a town/city environment you're never going to get the chance to properly experience either the handling or much of the acceleration your car has to offer.

Shdhdhd
I should have read what I was posting b4 I posted but I didn't so I was just writting Radomness I was thinking. I'm off home frm work now and going to find some suitable roads for the car. I have a good feeling about this. Hopefully I'll come back on here expressing the fun I've just had. Of
course the piss has been taken but would be good if ppl could just let go what I said first and I think I've justified myslf enough now

260% JCW
21 going on 81, you didnt expect to buy a 182 and get awesome MPG did you?

Funny thing also, fuel going quicker in a 2.0??

Sell up matey.

320d
They are hopeless around town. I used to want to avoid driving my 172 because there is speedbumps for half a mile either way of my house. Plus around town the heavy clutch and not the smoothest engine in the world didn't make for the greatest drive.

On an open road they're brilliant though. They just need space to move.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Try Adrian flux or brentacre for insurance, it won't be cheap unless it's modded so
tell em it's got an induction kit and exhaust or something and see what the price is like.

I went through a phase of wanting a comfier car a while back (my Clio is stripped with buckets and the like). While the Clio was in the bodyshop I had a Volvo C30 R Design, really nice car to drive, comfy etc etc and tbh i did love it for a bit! However after about 3 weeks I got bored of it and wanted the Clio back, it's nice to have something with a bit of character!

Just thought i'd share my experience as I think you'd regret it! Plus going back to your 1.6 Clio wouldn't be the same, you'd soon miss the power, handling, looks etc of the 182.

Also 28-30mpg even around town sounds a bit low, might be worth checking things like tyre pressures, air filter etc? Could make a difference on the fuel issue.

Shdhdhd
went for a decent drive in the 182, was good fun. got back in the 1.6 and its honestly crap. the only car ive wanted has been 182 and closely behind a mk5 golf or a3 but they are obviously higher in price.flux is my 1800 insurance provider.

as for mods it would make sense to change the exhaust as i love a nice tone. the standard exhaust tone is extremly strange sounding to me but its a 4 month old renault exhaust with the rest of the yr remaining warranty

SG9 Forester STi
That was quick! Surely if you can change your mind to loving it again in that space of time then long term ownership would be enjoyable...right?

Shdhdhd
said it was good fun but most of the time it wont b good fun im just thinking is it worth driving it around all week and not using the power and handling to only be able to occaisionally do that

Barge
What?!

You can either drive round sensibly during the week, get as decent an mpg as you can, then if you want to 'enjoy' it sensibly at the weekend go for it. You're not meant to 'enjoy' your car on a daily basis on the commute to work. And I tell you what get a diesel A3 or Golf and you won't enjoy it at all - whilst everyone loves comfort, even RS owners, you do soon get bored with it.

SG9 Forester STi
Surely you understood when you bought it though that powerwise and just the general feel of it would be substantially different to the 1.6 but the power advantage can't be used everywhere you go?

No matter what car you have you're never going to feel the benefits when driving around town etc. but it's the "having the car you want" thing that makes the most difference.

RB 200 Cup!
i must admit my 1.6 was never really that much better on fuel economy than my clio sports have been

Shdhdhd
im just going to give it some thought and see what conclusion I come to. at the end of the day its just a car and if something else came up in my life im sure i wouldnt give a s**t about my clio sport

RB 200 Cup!
attend the May meet mate - we are a welcoming bunch and im sure youll love having the clio that day!

Not a Clio
Having a fun car in town when you are stuck in traffic etc just builds you up to have loads of fun when you eventually get out of town! That's always what happens to me when I'm driving out of Manchester, as soon as you get a bit of clear road you start smiling!

You don't buy a clio for comfort

182cup & 172 racecar
I sort of know where you are coming from,I have always wanted a 911 since I was a kid.
Lucky for me I borrowed a mates for a week while he was on holiday,loved it for the first 2 days,couldn't stop driving it,but soon got bored with it and it just wasn't for me as a daily drive.So until I can afford one for weekends I ain't having one.Glad I got the chance to try one first.

182+1.5DCI+S2000
:eek: You need to drive late at night or in the morning. When nobody is about they you will fall in love! Just trash it on roads you know i did this last weekend and ran into a M3 on the motorway :) lets just say thats the first time my clio has gone round a corner @ top speed lol M3 driver must of been like wtf 5k clio on my ass and i cant shake him!! untill he hits the strights :( and then later another BMW the 120i chased me then i showed him how to go round a roundabout fast side ways afew times lol he gave me the thumbs up as i exited the roundabout :rasp: but then 80% of the roads i use in spain are just like B roads.

Just to add one more thing i love spain !

GL with your 182

Mini Cooper S sport
Shame you're selling the 182 so soon, but if it's no fun just buy some diesel barge and save the silly money you're paying on insurance.

A mild push along a windy road is where it will entertain.

f**king hell I am actually retarded. I read that and thought you meant a road with a brisk breeze blowing along it and wondered briefly why that was entertaining before the entire world melted with my stupidity :eek:

Nothing at the mo :(
f**king hell I am actually retarded. I read that and thought you meant a road with a brisk breeze blowing along it and wondered briefly why that was entertaining before the entire world melted with my stupidity :eek:

The first step is realising you have a problem.. now we can treat you lol

None
I kind of know what you mean......if i were to put myself in your shoes i might feel the same too, you pay way too much in insurance, not enough use of the cars potential around town and higher fuel costs(if you drive it properly that is ;) )

but you have make sure you go out on a weekend and just drive it!.......renault made the 1.2's for pootling around town and the RS clio's for fun, just head out somewhere where it's quiet and plant your foot a few times......then just tell tom tom to take you home afterwards.
If that doesn't put a big :D on your face then you'll know it wasn't meant to be.......

Shdhdhd
I kind of know what you mean......if i were to put myself in your shoes i might feel the same too, you pay way too much in insurance, not enough use of the cars potential around town and higher fuel costs(if you drive it properly that is ;) )

but you have make sure you go out on a weekend and just drive it!.......renault made the 1.2's for pootling around town and the RS clio's for fun, just head out somewhere where it's quiet and plant your foot a few times......then just tell tom tom to take you home afterwards.
If that doesn't put a big :D on your face then you'll know it wasn't meant to be.......

once i get a fair quote and get more time to myself I think i'll enjoy my 182 a lot more. but thanks for the input mate :)

EP3 Civic Type R
Try HIC.... I was insured at with them at 21 for a great price a few years ago.

I use my Cup daily.... up to 400 miles a week sometime (ave of at least 200 miles) in traffic, queues, over speed bumps etc etc. It's on coilovers too and isn't standard.

And yet, I think it's brilliant. 3 years I've been doing it. Can't think of another car, in the same price bracket I'd want to jump in at the end of a busy working day. They aren't super cars so you shouldn't be afraid to not drive like a grandad (although you don't need to drive like a fool either)

Renault have built a fantastic car and you need to learn to enjoy it!

EP3 Civic Type R
No, the money is important too.... Insurance is important but £1800 is silly money to be throwing away if you can't really afford it.

Shop around!

fiesta 1.25
I sold my 172 to by a BMW 330ci! A year later I'm back to a Megane 225. German cars are dull! Yes even the 330ci with 230bhp. I wouldn't go back to german unless it was an m3 or Golf r32! The rest are dull and lifeless!

Was your 330ci broken?

Shdhdhd
the cheapest quote online is 1200. hopefully ringing around the aformentioned insurers will result in less money spent on insurance for me

Ph1 172.
iIve found price comparison site aren't wholey accurate. The price on gocompare for me was about £100 more than what Admiral actually wanted!

If you haven't done so already add one of your parents as a named driver on your policy. It should reduce the cost.

Edit:

I did a quote using the same details as earlier, but adding a 52 year old woman with no driving convictions or points and 30+ years experience and the price came down to £916.

I'm not saying that's the price you'll get, but it's miles better than the £1200 I got quoted earlier!

ITB'd MK1
Well this is an odd thread. I'm personally a believer in enjoying what you drive, whenever you drive it, and by that i dont mean going fast all the time, but enjoying what you're in. Personally, modern bores me, so i go for older cars. I also tend to stick with what i like once i've found it. If the 182 isn't for you, then never mind, it's only a clio, it wont suit everyone. Most of the people on here would hate my cars but i can get in my mk1 or one of my 205s and grin like a kid, they're old, crude, rattly and just pure bloody awesome. Find a car that makes you excited like that every single time you leave the house and you're onto a winner :D

Shdhdhd
the 182 isnt for life. il stick it for a year then maybe move on. nvr kno i mite move on n miss the clio. its just the fact ive always got one n now ive got it so im like oh..

the 182 isnt for life. il stick it for a year then maybe move on. nvr kno i mite move on n miss the clio. its just the fact ive always got one n now ive got it so im like oh..

Could it be a case of you've heard alot of good things about them, heard alot of positive hype and it hasn't lived up to expectation so you're disappointed by it.

When I had my 1st one, I knew nothing about them and when I test drove it, I was amazed by it. Yet with this I was expecting to feel the same about but never did. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy driving it but it just doesn't seem as "fun" as the 1st one even though it's quicker, handles better etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.