ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Normal or has someone been porting??

Found this today and wondered if it was standard, doesn't look it but I've not seen another

2BFEE4CB-BCC9-4035-86B3-A279FE596FFF_zps5utlef5s.jpg

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Gas flow on heads is 10% finish 90% shape, you could spend all day getting a smooth finish for very little gains. these mk2 heads are s**t even with renaults port work

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Gas flow on heads is 10% finish 90% shape, you could spend all day getting a smooth finish for very little gains. these mk2 heads are s**t even with renaults port work

This.

If your engine has CNC'd ports, 4-1 manifold, sports catalyst and a pretty decent airbox setup from the factory, making under 180bhp from a 2.0l engine is pretty s**t.

I genuinely thought they were made with a dremel. I'm a cnc machinist and couldn't believe they'd have left the factory like that
It's all about cost, isn't it really? Building one of these for <£14k means as little expensive machining/head as possible!

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I recall reading many years ago a very smooth surface can be detrimental to flow, as a smooth surface can create drag - obviously the standard finish is beyond just being rough for flow purposes, but still a valid argument.

TheCAB

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup 172
I recall reading many years ago a very smooth surface can be detrimental to flow, as a smooth surface can create drag - obviously the standard finish is beyond just being rough for flow purposes, but still a valid argument.
This is true, polished ports, although pleasing to the eye, do very little to improve gas flow through the ports, as a slightly rougher surface can help reduce drag and also can help improve the air fuel mix. The trick in head work is to modify the ports to improve gas flow / speed through the ports and hence get more mixture into the cylinder for a given period of time. Even with the tooling marks left in, the std 172 head actually works very well - the 172 is not slow by any means! That's not saying the head cant be improved though.