ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Non winter tyres in the winter

BG182 FF
Hi all,

I've found Rainsport 3 XL for 60 quid a corner fitted and PS3's for 75 a corner. Would the Rainsports be better over the winter? I do a lot of driving at night over the winter and early in the mornings so frost/ice is an issue. I don't really want to replace them in the summer but want something that will be safe over the winter, so a go-between. Good in the dry but also very good in the wet / cold.

I can't find any Eagle F1 GSD anywhere otherwise I'd of gone for them. Are the PS3's that much better in the dry?

mk1 Octavia VRS
Hertfordshire? Non-winter tyres will be fine.

I would go with the PS3s personally as I've heard that the RS3s wear a bit quick.

Eagle F1 GSDs are an old tyre now and discontinued. The current equivalent would be the Eagle F1 Asymmetric, which are also decent tyres.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Either will be fine, we don't get bad enough winters in this country to really warrant winter tyres especially on a fwd car.

BG182 FF
Thanks for all the responses guys, i'll see how my bank balance is in a weeks time and decide. There is a spanner in the works now with the Yokohamas, they look really cool and seem to have great reviews as well!

I'm sure i'll be happy with any of them but I am still slightly leaning toward the Michelin. Could all change though!

Listerine & Poledo
How a tyre look isn't really the best of deciding factor chap :smile:
But anything will feel better over the winter than 90% dead tyres

BG182 FF
hahah I know but if there were a few with similar reviews and stats I'd probably go for the ones that look the best, as sad as it sounds...

How are the AD08s when it is absolutely p*ssing down? I've done some reading and it seems like they are the nuts in the dry. Can't find any reviews from magazines etc though?
Also - where would you get them from? I can only really see "S-Drives" from the Yokohama brand on the standard websites.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
hahah I know but if there were a few with similar reviews and stats I'd probably go for the ones that look the best, as sad as it sounds...

How are the AD08s when it is absolutely p*ssing down? I've done some reading and it seems like they are the nuts in the dry. Can't find any reviews from magazines etc though?
Also - where would you get them from? I can only really see "S-Drives" from the Yokohama brand on the standard websites.

I can confirm that AD08's are fine at 130 on a french motorway in torrential rain 😌

They start to move around when the tread is really low though.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Hi all,

I've found Rainsport 3 XL for 60 quid a corner fitted and PS3's for 75 a corner. Would the Rainsports be better over the winter? I do a lot of driving at night over the winter and early in the mornings so frost/ice is an issue. I don't really want to replace them in the summer but want something that will be safe over the winter, so a go-between. Good in the dry but also very good in the wet / cold.

I can't find any Eagle F1 GSD anywhere otherwise I'd of gone for them. Are the PS3's that much better in the dry?
Personally I would pay the extra for PS3's. They will make up for the extra cost as they last a little longer, perform better. GSDS3 F1's arent very good in the snow due to the pattern - I had some on an old 172 and used them in the snow for a few weeks and they were terrible.

Listerine & Poledo
GSDS3 F1's arent very good in the snow due to the pattern - I had some on an old 172 and used them in the snow for a few weeks and they were terrible.

I ran them on my MX5s all year around and wouldn't say they're that bad. Remember that's with no traction or stability control either.

I'm not saying you're wrong, of course, the pattern doesn't lend itself to snow/rain in the same way, say, Rainsports do, but they're hardly cut-slicks.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I have to agree with @optical on this one. I too have had those F1's and they were atrocious in the snow, really bad.

You can't beat winter tyres when the temperature starts to drop. It's quite impressive to see the difference when the conditions worsen, although you should try driving on them when it starts to get warmer in the spring!

Ph2 172
Winter tyres operate much more effectively than summer tyres below 7 degrees, which it has been here for the past week. Winter tyres disperse snow like a normal tyre would water, summer tyres don't do this as well and fill up with snow effectively turning them into slicks!
I wouldn't be without winters in north of Scotland, I can leave work in the sun and get home to 6 inches of snow. Granted it doesn't get as bad as it used to up here but we used to get 6ft+ of snow and -25 years ago

Ph2 172
I have to agree with @optical on this one. I too have had those F1's and they were atrocious in the snow, really bad.

You can't beat winter tyres when the temperature starts to drop. It's quite impressive to see the difference when the conditions worsen, although you should try driving on them when it starts to get warmer in the spring!

I've ran winters year round a few times on different cars, it does give quite an interesting turn in when the weather improves 😊

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
if you'll encounter ice or snow I would definitely go for winter tyres. The difference in grip is MASSIVE, tried and tested
Not worth putting your safety at risk tbh

BG182 FF
Not sure if you guys will care so much but I went with the Goodyear Eagle F1 AS 2 - I got them for 73 quid each and will stick the RS2's on the front for the winter and then get a second pair of AS2's next year.

I was going to change all four, but with money tight and a lot of tread of the RS2's I thought I'd give them a go.. Obviously it's going to rain a lot as well so they will do!

Looking forward to comparing them with the Pirelli's, which seem to be pretty terrible in the wet (with legal tread)

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Nokian wra3 great all year round !
Great on the life too did 16 runs down he strip at the pod on them and still did over 24k on the set by swooping fronts to backs .

Last edited:

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Nokian wra3 great all year round !
Great on the life too did 16 runs down he strip at the pod on them and still did over 24k on the set by swooping fronts to backs .
I have a spare set of wheels with Nokian W+ on them (don't think they sell W+ anymore), epic grip in anything from crappy wet weather to full on Scandinavian snowy blizzard conditions.

The F1 GSD's were on my old 172 CUP when i bought it.. i found in the cold leading up to winter they were shite tbh, the rubber went rock hard and didnt grip much at all..

Couldnt even reverse my car onto the drive as it just span when there was any snow down, bearing in mind the kerb was basically 1cm higher than the tarmac of the road

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Ive been looking into tyres to but summer tyres,what do you all run for summer tyres?.mine is a daily and not track based.Also 195 or 205's??

At the moment i have Rainsport3's which are very good in the wet.

Sorry if there is a thread about recent summer tyres already.