ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

non starter/immobiliser issue?

BMW 330D
Hi guys,

I am new to this and it my first ever post in the car forum world in all the years I have been messing around with cars, not sure where to post this and I believe I have a similar problem to danny danny, however desperate times need desperate measures so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I brief bit of info, I purchased a 2002 clio 172 with timing belt failure to make into a track, due to the extent of the damage I sourced a new engine with only 62k on the clock happy days. Anyway replaced timing belt along with a new dephaser while the engine was out to be sure, now for the not so good part.

Fitted the new engine In the car and re loomed everything all seemed ok, I then tried to start the car and nothing as if it's completely dead.

Checked all the basics battery, starter motor etc still nothing.

When I put the key in the ignition the immobiliser light stays solid red and doesn't go out as I believe it should correct me if I'm wrong, the car is also fitted with a factory upgrade sigma m32 immobiliser but I dont think this is the problem and I intend on removing this as it's not required anyway.

The central locking and everything works fine all lights illuminate on the dash, although I think there may be a bad earth somewhere as when I remove the key some lights still stay faintly lit after.

I was hoping for some ideas where to start next if any of you guys have had a similar problem, the engine was out of the car for around 2 months along with the battery so not sure if any settings ECU/BCU could be lost.

please help think I have aged a couple of years trying to resolve the problem.

Clio172 Phase 1 2001
Id imagine it could lead to a wiring issue, if your doing away with the immobiliser i would get it bypassed & not have one then attempt to start & if still non start carry out wiring checks etc

Renault Clio 182
Don't know much about the aftermarket immobiliser you have, do you know how to remove it without causing any issues? If you do that then try it as robc says. If it still doesn't start let me know, an ill see if we can run through it to help you. I can also send you some fault charts if that will help. Ideally needs to be manufacturers standard though as they are Renault charts.

Renault Clio 182
Don't know much about the aftermarket immobiliser you have, do you know how to remove it without causing any issues? If you do that then try it as robc says. If it still doesn't start let me know, an ill see if we can run through it to help you. I can also send you some fault charts if that will help. Ideally needs to be manufacturers standard though as they are Renault charts.

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Have you checked the main earth strap from the subframe to gearbox?... Quick check, Get a jump cable and put one end on negative battery terminal and the other end onto the engine block somewhere and try to start it..

BMW 330D
hi guys, some good news some not good news. finally had time to have a play about tonight, Matt you guide was great and a massive help found I had a loose connection on the UCH below the glove box think this may have happened when removing the CD changer cable as I sold the cd player and changer on ebay, this rectified my immobiliser problem.

however the car would still not start.

Tomotek great bit of advice found that had not reconnected the earth strap back on the gearbox/subframe soon as I did this rectified the starting issue instantly and all the lights on the dash were working correctly.

I now have a new problem the car will not run.

the car now turns over and fuel pump is priming and a spark at the engine.
some times it will fire up but only for a real short duration say 3-5 seconds then cut out but does sound very lumpy.
I have checked all the basics crank sensor, spark plugs etc,

only thing that springs to mind is if i have timed it up correctly when fitting new dephaser/belt or when the engine was out I fitted a clio 182 4-2-1 mani and decat so at the moment have no lamba sensors in etc

BMW 330D
forgot to add I don't have the auxiliary belt fitted either at the moment as I am waiting for a smaller belt to be delivered since removal of the air con.

Renault Clio 182
Did you lock the engine up in place when timing for the belt, if so then should be all ok. Perhaps an injector has gone down? Have you got any diagnostic equipment?

BMW 330D
Hi Mat yeah engine was locked up when timing, I placing the locking pin at the front of the engine near gear box to lock flywheel. I don't think its a timing issue because sometimes it will run for a short duration then cut out.

I have a friend who is a mechanic that has a fault code reader but I don't think its anything fancy.

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
glad to hear your making progress... As you tried to start it without the earth strap you will probably have quite a few fault codes on the ecu that will need clearing.. Normally fuel pump to ground and throttle position to ground faults (due to no earth strap) .. get these cleared and try to start it again, then go from there.