ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

noise when steering

well my car finally passed its MOT. one thing it had failed on was the cv boot gaitor wasn't fastened on (i know this could only have come off recently as I had just taken all the wheels off to clean them inside and out).
now when steering to one side (can't remember which) there's a noise coming from the front. it only happens when steering to one side in particular.

does this sound like the wheel bearing is gone or could it be another problem?

new pads are on and it only happens when steering to one side.

how do I check whether the wheel bearing is on its way out?
also im sure the garage would have cleaned and then packed the CV boot with new grease....well at least i'd hope they have!

guess it depends upon how thoroughly the CVJ was cleaned; ideally, you'd be wanting it off the shaft and in a parts washing machine, but they may have decided it didn't appear too mucky and just wiped it out whilst it was still in-situ.

could attempt to check for play in the wheel bearing by jacking up the relevant corner and attempting to rock the wheel (12-6; 9-3) - any free play indicates a problem somewhere (most likely, wheel bearing)

guess it depends upon how thoroughly the CVJ was cleaned; ideally, you'd be wanting it off the shaft and in a parts washing machine, but they may have decided it didn't appear too mucky and just wiped it out whilst it was still in-situ.

could attempt to check for play in the wheel bearing by jacking up the relevant corner and attempting to rock the wheel (12-6; 9-3) - any free play indicates a problem somewhere (most likely, wheel bearing)

cheers mate, i'll try and get it up in the air sometime this week and give the rocking of the wheel a go.
how hard is it to change the wheel bearing? is there a guide on here?

to check the wheel bearing jack it up and spin the wheel at the same time grab the spring and if theres vibration then its a good chance its a bearing

ITB'd MK1
sounds like a worn CV to me. if the boot has come off it often doesn't matter if you re-pack it with grease, the joint may be worn already.

Vala, should of stuck with the gt mate, much more reliable ;)

lol, think this car's going the same route or will definately be there in the future...fingers crossed its just a one off. its been perfect apart from this MOT from hell.

i'll give the tips for checking the wheel bearing ago. anyone got a guide on replacing it or is it a garage job?

Lots of Alfas
It could be the cv joint. It could be the loose gaitor making in the noise as when the wheel is turned it can hop on and off the driveshaft.