ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noise / Vibration First Moving Off

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Hello all,

My 2002 mk2 Clio 172 seems to of developed a farting type noise from the passenger side when first moving off after being parked, whether it's for 30 mins or first thing in the morning. This is either in reverse or forwards.

I've got absolutely no idea what it could be, any suggestions to try and find this problem?

Cheers...

Listerine & Poledo
exhaust mount maybe?

Mine did the same after a new centre section was put on, only noticeable when there was someone in the back though.

Anyway, yeah, get your mounts checked

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
I don't think it'd be the rear one as I replaced it and cable tied a large socket to support the rubber X.

It could be the centre exhaust mount I suppose, I guess I need to get it on some ramps to check.

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
It's deffo not the centre exhaust mount as I've checked.

Just to be clear, it's when I first move off at the beginning of the day not when I'm driving around.

For example:

Pull off the drive 1st thing it makes the noise
Doesn't make the noise during the journey.
I return to the car after being parked up for any amount of time, from 5 mins to 10 hours I turn the car on and pull away again it makes the noise again.

It does it in either forwards or reverse and it's doing my tree in!!

Anyone in the East Midlands who knows there onions when it comes to Clio 172's who might have a clue what the noise is?

Clio 182 FF
It could be the heat shield,I had the same problem when I had a pug grand tourisme,the mechanic just pulled it off and the rattling stopped.

Monaco Clio 172
its not a rattling sound. cant put it any other way as nick said it like a farting noise

Focus ST-3
sounds like the top mounts, if you search for freds 'top mount washer fix'. renault have also made a new part to solve this, but the washer fix is easier!

350z, Subaru Legacy
My mates 182 makes a similar noise, it only does it whilst pulling away - I suspected a worn bush somewhere...

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Ok so we have some possible causes for the noise. Can anyone explain how to test for

- a balljointy issue?!
- a worn bush.

It does make a squeak under slow paced full lock but that's normal for 172/182's isn't it?

Bongy - Ilkeston is 10 minutes from me, are you a mechanic or something?

Ok so we have some possible causes for the noise. Can anyone explain how to test for

- a balljointy issue?!
- a worn bush.

It does make a squeak under slow paced full lock but that's normal for 172/182's isn't it?

Bongy - Ilkeston is 10 minutes from me, are you a mechanic or something?

Yes i am, got some spare time this week if you want me to look at it.

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Well it appears to be the ABS pump vibrating.

Bongy will be able to explain in more detail but it should be a quick fix by tieing the bracket of the ABS pump to prevent the vibration. It's a bit of a sod to get to so we are going to have a look on Sunday.

Monaco Clio 172
my car failed mot on bottom ball joint. Ive replaced it and havent heard the noise again YET!

Clio 172
Thats good news for me, coz 2 people with this sympton have replaced the ball joints nd it has stopped! I think i know what my prob is now :)