ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No space to remove tensioner. Help

172 Ph2
I'm changing my aux belt, and have removed the tensioner easily enough, but how the fu*k do you remove it from the engine bay??
None of the guides i've read seem to mention this small detail.
I tried raising the engine, but that doesn't help.
So i thought id remove the alternator and whip it out there - but i cannot for the life of me remove the fecking alternator.
Pulley hits the chassis on the left, and aircon pipes on the right and the bottom.

How did you guys remove the tensioner? (from what i read, the hard part was undoing the bolts, but that took 2 mins)

PH2 172
FRONT CROSSMEMBER.png
I'm changing my aux belt, and have removed the tensioner easily enough, but how the fu*k do you remove it from the engine bay??
None of the guides i've read seem to mention this small detail.
I tried raising the engine, but that doesn't help.
So i thought id remove the alternator and whip it out there - but i cannot for the life of me remove the fecking alternator.
Pulley hits the chassis on the left, and aircon pipes on the right and the bottom.

How did you guys remove the tensioner? (from what i read, the hard part was undoing the bolts, but that took 2 mins)

Bumper off & remove front crossmember.
FRONT CROSSMEMBER.png
FRONT CROSSMEMBER.png

Attachments

• 15-09-30 CLIO NEW RADS 4.jpg
    15-09-30 CLIO NEW RADS 4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  172 Ph2
Bumper is off, but the alternator isn't fouling on cross member. Its hitting the lower aircon pipe if i bring it forward, or the edge of the mounting bracket if i go up.

PH2 172
Bumper is off, but the alternator isn't fouling on cross member. Its hitting the lower aircon pipe if i bring it forward, or the edge of the mounting bracket if i go up.
You will have to give the dowels a tap to loosen off the bottom pivot so you can lift the alternator out the way,& FFS disconnect the battery.

172 Ph2
Should the bolt at the bottom of the tensioner spring be tightened once all positioned?
It looks like it should be left loose to allow it to pivot when needed. (Not talking about the hex head)

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
honestly , keep rotating and trying different positions the alternator an it will come out its like a bloody puzzle

172 Ph2
I don't care if its a stupid question - but should the bolt circled red be tightened when all refitted?
Its loose when delivered, but dont know if that is for fitting (to split the part) or to allow it to pivot.

Volvo S60 T5
Easy to do you do not need to remove bumper and so on. Just remove the big metal block under/next to engine mounting. Adjust engine height until tensioner comes out. Can be a bit fiddly but they come out and go back in fine.

172 Ph2
But the power steering pulley is blocking it - i didn't dare lift the engine much higher.

What about the picture above, do you tighten that bolt Mike?

Volvo S60 T5
If you tighten the bolt before installing tensioner you won' be able to fit it in place.
Once tensioner is fitted and belt on tighten bolt.
As to pictures not got one booked in until Wednesday. If I remember I will get some photo's.

172 Ph2
Cheers, I manged to remove it via moving the alternator.
I also changed the lower pulley without jacking the engine.
By the look of the old belt, i got there just in time.