ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No sidelights?

fiesta 1.25
Ive took out my sidelights as they were ruining the look of the xenons. Now i know that its probably illegal and wont pass an MOT but surley its just the same as putting in some illegal LED ones.

Ive never really understood sidelights as they make little difference to the light output apart from if a dipped beam bulb is broken or im parked up.

Is it such a bad idea to drive without them as im getting comments on the e46 forum such as

" Are you smoking crack" and " Your driving round on just dipped beam, thats a bit stupid"

Titanium 182
I'd personally not give a shite, I run white LED ones not been told off or stopped once. Passed an MOT too. Doubt you'll ever have any trouble besides from forum warriors. Just put them back in come MOT time.

Mini Cooper S
E46 cab owners asking you if you're smoking crack? Perhaps they want to know where you pick up from!

tbh the amount of people drive around with 1 light working, Full beams on because both are blown.

If you want to run no sidelights i dont see a problem, Obviosly if you break down and need to stop blinding oncoming traffic, You cant switch to sidelights but...

Theyre will always be keyboard warriors.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
back in the days when i had angel eyes,

they broke and i rolled around with no sidelights for months,

MOT came, stole my sisters,

and gave them back after the MOT,

this went on for ages,

the point of them is when its still light enough to see without headlights on, but it helps other road users see where you are,

so yes, bascially pointless lol

Evo 8 MR
Ive took out my sidelights as they were ruining the look of the xenons. Now i know that its probably illegal and wont pass an MOT but surley its just the same as putting in some illegal LED ones.

Ive never really understood sidelights as they make little difference to the light output apart from if a dipped beam bulb is broken or im parked up.

Is it such a bad idea to drive without them as im getting comments on the e46 forum such as

" Are you smoking crack" and " Your driving round on just dipped beam, thats a bit stupid"

Pics?

Titanium 182 & 306 Diesel
same here I don't have any side lights in, but yeah I need to put them back in for the MOT

BG 182 FF
Sorry, not wanting to pi55 on anyones fire, but this will only be an excuses for the insurance companies not to pay up if you have a to claim!

Trust me, it's no fun when your insurance company tells you that your cover is void!

b/g 182, meg tourer
i run mine without sidelights. don't like the look of sidelights and the led ones either don't match the xenon properly or the stop working after a few weeks.

Mini Cooper S
Sorry, not wanting to pi55 on anyones fire, but this will only be an excuses for the insurance companies not to pay up if you have a to claim!

Trust me, it's no fun when your insurance company tells you that your cover is void!

Just like running a 3/4 plate, tinting your front windows, not telling them about mods etc.. etc..

I'm sure these people are aware!

DCi 100
Do a car won't pass an MOT without sidelight bulbs in working?

Never knew! Will get hold of some as ATM I just drive around with xenons pointed at the floor.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I haven't had them in for a 18 months or so, just put them in for MOT, then take them out.

Interesting point about what insurance would say though.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I've had no sidelights since 2004. Took them out of every Clio, bar the Ph1. As that didn't have xenons.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i drive around with just my sidelights on loads! lol,

well..... from that hour or so when its akward to see the clocks,
but its not dark enough to turn your lights on,

never had any trouble from it!

Renault Clio 182FF + Cup
Sidelights are useful for covering you for

Highway Code
Parking at Night
249. All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).
[Law RVLR reg 24]

I'd never take mine out, but will have to look for some alternatives as my car just failed it's MOT because of White LED sidelights emitting slightly blue light.