ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

renault clio 172
Hi everyone
My eldest son just bought his new expensive car and had a 2003 172 for knocking around in and asked if i wanted it. Anyway didn't have much use for a car as i have a van but took it anyway. What a hoot !! Spent some of the day polishing her up and she's quite a tidy car. However always something wrong, those dreaded Xenons. Drivers side out on dipped beam, both work on high. Have been through the wiring as best as possible, checked all relays. When turning lights on however the light always comes on for a split second then goes off. Don't know how Xenons work, old stool bulb if blown wouldn't come on at all. I know its front bumper off but wondering as the light momentarily comes on that might point to something specific so i can trawl Ebay for part.
Any advice welcome
Regards
Shaun

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Hi. They are pretty straight forward once you know how the come apart. From your description I would say it is either the bulb, the ballast which is a square unit at the bottom of the headlight or the ignitor on the back of the bulb.

Bulb and ignitor can be changed without removing the headlight. To access the ballast the headlight needs to be removed.

Easiest way to find out is swap components from the working headlight to the non-working one. Start with the ignitor, then bulb and last the ballast if they fail to work.

Where are you based? @shaunhj

renault clio 172
Hi. They are pretty straight forward once you know how the come apart. From your description I would say it is either the bulb, the ballast which is a square unit at the bottom of the headlight or the ignitor on the back of the bulb.

Bulb and ignitor can be changed without removing the headlight. To access the ballast the headlight needs to be removed.

Easiest way to find out is swap components from the working headlight to the non-working one. Start with the ignitor, then bulb and last the ballast if they fail to work.

Where are you based? @shaunhj
Portsmouth

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Bit far from me otherwise I would do it for you. Pretty sure Mick at Diamond motors is your way and a very trusted trader for all things Renault.