ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nitrogen Filled Tyres

Hyundai i40
Just wondering if anyone has tried this?

Local garage is selling it. Its a new thing that ive not heard about before

lad on a local forum had some put in his tyres and this was his thoughts

ok so what did i think.........? HOW ON EARTH CAN IT MAKE THAT MUCH DIFFERENCE? I suffered a little bit of wollowness (new made up word) round tight bends and the likes and now nothing - perfect... ride slightly different and not due to the new tires i have had MANY tires fitted to this car and know the feeling. everything seems a little more positive especially when i get alot of heat in to the tires.

it might get some put in the pug see what difference that makes

Just wondering if anyone has tried this?

Local garage is selling it. Its a new thing that ive not heard about before

lad on a local forum had some put in his tyres and this was his thoughts

it might get some put in the pug see what difference that makes

Due to their being no moisture in nitrogen it doesn't get get hot under pressure therefor your tyre pressure stays the same.

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
78% of the air is nitrogen. if its cheap go for it but isnt much point I think.

Looking for 182
It costs £1 extra per tyre at Kwik Fit. They claim:

Have your tyres filled with Nitrogen and increase tyre life by up to 25%, improve road holding and handling and increase fuel economy by up to 5%!

Any truth in this?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Lol. So how do they remove the 'old' air out of your tyre?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
i use VPower air from my local shell. Costs £5 but has cleaning agents that stop wheel corrosion and give up to 2% more MPG and 0.7% more torque.

E87 118d M Sport
I was given it free cuz i know the guy at the tyre garage. cant say ive noticed any difference on road driving?

172 Ph1, 1972 Mini 1
I have had all my tires nitrogen filled for a few years by a local tyre fitter i know. I cant say i have noticed any difference to be honest on the road however the pressures do remain rock solid, exactly the same every time i check them.

They do seem to be more tolerant on a track day as well.

The extended life is supposedly due to the nitrogen being dry rather than natural air which although being made up of most nitrogen is humid, over time the evaporation as the tyres warm is supposed to degrade the inner of the tyre and as water escapes the pressures will drop over time.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I just ordered 4 new tires. I'm gonna get them filled with helium, unsprung weight etc.

It's A Reno
Halfords are going to sell foot pumps that filter the nitrogen from the air as you pump so you can do this for yourself at home too.

Clio 182 arctic
over time when tires lose a bit of pressure, whats the nitrogen like for this. lose the same amount of pressur still or does it not 'escape' as quickly.

Westy. MX5
over time when tires lose a bit of pressure, whats the nitrogen like for this. lose the same amount of pressur still or does it not 'escape' as quickly.

It's because Nitrogen atoms are larger than other air gasses so don't escape as easily through the rubber.
Nevertheless it's pointless for a road car and you would have to remove all the old air in a vacuum to have 100% Nitrogen filled tyres.

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
It's because Nitrogen atoms are larger than other air gasses so don't escape as easily through the rubber.
Nevertheless it's pointless for a road car and you would have to remove all the old air in a vacuum to have 100% Nitrogen filled tyres.

Nitrogen is atomic number 7 and Oxygen is 8. ^^^^^ what chemistry did you do at school to think that Nitrogen is a bigger atom than oxygen. Oh and 99% of air is Nitrogen and Oxygen so the other gasses make f*uck all difference. ;);)

Last edited:

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
thats just Nitrogen, oxygen is about 20.78% all other gasses make up near enough 1%

Megane RS 250
The only think about nitrogen is that it doesn't permit combustion like common air.
It's a lot of time since i heard about tyre explosion!
The problem is, tyres permit a little level of molecular exchange, in a few months what was pure nitrogen becomes common air.
Much better to use air and check the pressure once a month at least (road use).

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
The only think about nitrogen is that it doesn't permit combustion like common air.
It's a lot of time since i heard about tyre explosion!
The problem is, tyres permit a little level of molecular exchange, in a few months what was pure nitrogen becomes common air.
Much better to use air and check the pressure once a month at least (road use).

its called ^^^^ Diffusion or Passive Transport

The movement of small molecules from an area where they are highly concentrated to an area where they are less concentrated.

ITB BG 182
Its sodding air, its free from your local type pump place at a sainsburys.
That £4 to fill your tyres with nitrogen and is 400% more in cost than normal, will you save more than £4 in tyres next time you need them, ermm No.