ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nissan Factory Visit (Juke-R and 2012 GT-R Content)

Trophy #490
Thought I'd write a thread about my visit to Nissan's Sunderland plant, as I'm sure there are a fair few GT-R fans on here! I was invited to go and drive a few of their tamer models for a media day that they were holding, but I shan't bore you with the details of underpowered and overpriced diesel Qashqais, Notes, and Jukes!

However, the highlight of the day was without question the drives in the 2012 GT-R, and the absurd Juke-R. In short, the revised GT-R is life-changingly fast (managed 3.0 seconds to 60mph with help from its launch control), and the Juke-R is a huge amount of fun as you'd expect. It's much, much more involving than the GT-R on the limit. It really was an honour to drive the latter, as there are only two of them in the world. We were also treated to a passenger ride in the Juke-R later in the day with Nissan's super-talented young driver, Jann Mardenborough. His car control is unbelievable. I was stamping on invisible brakes in the passenger footwell while he slammed on the anchors at the very last second, then proceeded to balance the car through the corner by making millimetric adjustments on the throttle and steering wheel!

Reviews of the GT-R and Juke-R:

http://joshtimlin.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/2012-nissan-gt-r.html
http://joshtimlin.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/nissan-juke-r.html

Anyway, here are a few photos from a sun-drenched day in Sunderland!

024.jpg

023.jpg

014.jpg

017.jpg

016.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

025.jpg

019.jpg

And here's one from the tour of the incredibly efficient factory:

026.jpg

Trophy #490
Don't like the normal Juke but the Juke-R should have been produced. Both lovely cars.

I think they're producing a sportier version of the Juke, but it'll be nowhere near as potent as the R! In a way, I'm glad they're not producing it in mass numbers as it'll be a true cult car in years to come as it's just so out of the ordinary. The two are fully road legal as well! Maybe if they use it in a race series, an homologated road car made in tiny numbers would be sold out quickly as it seems people have taken really well to the Juke-R. I imagine this was simply an exercise to show what can be achieved with the car as a platform for future versions.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I think they're producing a sportier version of the Juke, but it'll be nowhere near as potent as the R! In a way, I'm glad they're not producing it in mass numbers as it'll be a true cult car in years to come as it's just so out of the ordinary. The two are fully road legal as well! Maybe if they use it in a race series, an homologated road car made in tiny numbers would be sold out quickly as it seems people have taken really well to the Juke-R. I imagine this was simply an exercise to show what can be achieved with the car as a platform for future versions.

Something that is seriously lacking from most mainstream manufacturers these days. If it makes the bean-counters happy, then it goes through into production. Otherwise, nay chance.

D.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Looks like a great day.

Im not a fan of the GT-R but i can like it a bit more in that colour.

Trophy #490
What did you do to be able to get access to those cars? Do you work for Nissan?

I'm lucky enough to do freelance motoring journalism when I'm not studying, so I covered this event for a newspaper I've been with for a few years. It's a great privilege to do it, particularly with driving the Juke-R as only a handful of people have had access to them. As far as hosting goes, Nissan were one of the best I've encountered for sure!

Mark - I studied Journalism and Media at Huddersfield.

the Juke R is a lovely car.. a m8 of mine who works at nissan posted a pic of it on facebook about a week and a half ago and i thought then it looked awesome

Trophy #490
Mostly suspension and engine changes I think.

Yeah, it's had a thorough going over (as far as annual revisions usually go). Valves, inlet manifold, heads, pistons, dampers, springs, and even the gearbox has been sharpened. I drove a 2009 model not so long back and the difference is definitely noticeable; particularly low-down grunt and above 4500rpm. Its ride is far better as well, and its brakes are just as brutal as the acceleration. For £75k, there's nothing else I'd rather have as the GT-R copes with everything brilliantly.

Turbos.
Nice write up, thanks for sharing.

I would love a Juke-R as the ultimate all-rounder (albeit with a proper interior).