ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon J1 Wide Angle Lens.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
  '12 Clio 1.2 TomTom
But both lenses have a minimum 10mm focal length?

edit; basically, you aren't getting a wider angle lens by just buying the 10mm prime as opposed to the kit lens of 10-30mm. To get a wider angle lens you would need to get less than 10mm, e.g. 8mm.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Hi,

I have a Nikon 1 just and a press and shoot type of camera but I'd like to get a Wide Angle Lens for it but the ones they do compared to the kit lens only have a maximum width of 77º. I'm confused as I thought the wide angle would produce more?

Kit Lens - http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pr....html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs
Wide Angle Lens - http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pr....html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs

Any ideas guys and gals?

Cheers

The field of view is so narrow because the sensor in your camera is smaller than the ones in DSLR's, so 10mm on your camera is roughly 27mm with your crop factor of 2.7, a full frame DSLR would be a genuine 10mm.

So for an effective 10mm you'd need a 3 or 4 mm lens, which doesn't exist, I hope this helps.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
The field of view is so narrow because the sensor in your camera is smaller than the ones in DSLR's, so 10mm on your camera is roughly 27mm with your crop factor of 2.7, a full frame DSLR would be a genuine 10mm.

So for an effective 10mm you'd need a 3 or 4 mm lens, which doesn't exist, I hope this helps.

Clear as day. Thank you very much!

The benefits of smaller sensors come at the tele end and not the wide angle lens, i doubt the Nikon 1 system will ever get much wider than 10mm.