ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon D70 DSLR any good

clio 182 black /gold
Is that for the body, or is there a lens with it. I have a D70 and it is a great camera.

172 Cup
Just the body i think, could i get better elsewhere you think? I dont want a mickey mouse camera i want something a bit semi-pro!

Revels Mum & Sister
D70 for £140 is a pretty good deal IMO it isnt a mickey mouse camera it isnt however Semi pro really. Thats sort of D200 level

I don't think any SLR can be classed as 'Mickey Mouse'!!! With the right glass in front of the body any current gen SLR cameras can take amazing pics!

Some of the best pics I have seen on here have come from ukaskew with his D50 (x2! ;)) and Clart with his D40 & D50.

No, they will both produce great pics, it all depends on what lenses you want! With the D70 you can get a wider range, including older lenses. With the D40 you need AFS Nikon lenses or Sigma HSM lenses.

There are a lot of lenses for the D40, they do cost more. But saying that, a lot of the most popular lenses that people buy (sigma 10-20, 30mm, nikon 18-55, nikon 55-200, 18-200, 70-300) all have AFS or HSM.

If you intend to buy older lenses and prime lenses your better off with the D70.

My set up is simple... D40 + 18-200 + Sigma 30mm.

Anyway... enough of my ramble!

Astra coupe
Do some research, find out how many shutter acutations it's had, what condition is it in?
The D70 is a better camera than the D40 in my opinion. Older though.

Astra coupe
it seems to perform better on the indoor shots....but the outdoor shots it seems equal. I much prefer my D70s over the D40 i had before. The ergonomics are so much better, Top LCD and the extra weight really helps when you start attatching longer/heavier lenses.

"Navy" N17 TWO
No, they will both produce great pics, it all depends on what lenses you want! With the D70 you can get a wider range, including older lenses. With the D40 you need AFS Nikon lenses or Sigma HSM lenses.

There are a lot of lenses for the D40, they do cost more. But saying that, a lot of the most popular lenses that people buy (sigma 10-20, 30mm, nikon 18-55, nikon 55-200, 18-200, 70-300) all have AFS or HSM.

If you intend to buy older lenses and prime lenses your better off with the D70.

My set up is simple... D40 + 18-200 + Sigma 30mm.

Anyway... enough of my ramble!

What's the difference in the range of lenses for the D70 or the likes of the D300 ?

D

dick

D40/50 = semi-pro
d70/80 = pro

I own a d70 and its amazing. Just get a proper lens.

LOL!!!:lolup:

d40 = entry level/ beginner
d70/80 = advanced amateur

d200/300 = prosumer

d2/3 = pro.

Revels Mum & Sister
I agree with Dick.

But dont forget its all about the bits either side of the Body the Lens and You taking a picture. IMO £140 for the D70 is a good deal

Astra coupe
Also the D70 has the i-TTL feature which allows you to use a nikon SB-600/800 flash off the camera. (sb-800 will control other sb-600s aswell)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
D40/50 = semi-pro
d70/80 = pro

d70 is FAR from pro... i own and use nikon d2x thats a pro camera...

d70 is the amature level well thats what its aimed at the amature that wants to progress... the semi pro camera that was about when the d70 was out was the d100

current listings would be

d60 beginer
d80 amature
d300 semi pro
d3 pro

however saying that i know pro's that use d80's as back up cameras and a really good pro i know who uses a hassy h3d uses a nikon d40 also lol... he has a 30k+ camera and uses the d40 more lol!

"Navy" N17 TWO
I love my D40 - some awesome shots from it and I wouldn't say I am experienced in knowing the settings by any means :)

I see a lot of people agree it's a great DSLR camera to start off with, which is exactly why I got it :)

D

dick

D40/50 = semi-pro
d70/80 = pro

d70 is FAR from pro... i own and use nikon d2x thats a pro camera...

d70 is the amature level well thats what its aimed at the amature that wants to progress... the semi pro camera that was about when the d70 was out was the d100

current listings would be

d60 beginer
d80 amature
d300 semi pro
d3 pro

however saying that i know pro's that use d80's as back up cameras and a really good pro i know who uses a hassy h3d uses a nikon d40 also lol... he has a 30k+ camera and uses the d40 more lol!

fail.

amateur

You can have what people seem to be calling a 'pro' body and still get s**t pics!

As mentioned before, some of the best pics on CS have been taken with 'beginner' cameras... or maybe it has something to do with the talent behind and in front of the body :)

You can have what people seem to be calling a 'pro' body and still get s**t pics!

As mentioned before, some of the best pics on CS have been taken with 'beginner' cameras... or maybe it has something to do with the talent behind and in front of the body :)

Exactly.

n2x

e60/f10

BDD_tumbleweed_head_perfectuk.jpg

172 Cup
I was thinking of forgetting the D70 and maybe getting a Nikon D40? these any good or is the canon EOS better?

koi

Audi S1
Considering getting a D70s but a total newbie lol

How much would a basic lens set me back??