ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NIGHTMARE exhaust fitting! Fail?

?
Fitted my exhaust today, sounds amazing!

HOWEVER I had many problems (and still may!)

Go easy guys.. I have never fitted an exhaust before

First problem occured when fitting the exhaust... discovered the welds surrounding one of the rear hangers had cracked! Had to call out an emergency mobile welder to reweld the backbox. Not the best welding in the world, but still...

30082009130.gif

Its not blowing from anywhere so I guess I did something right! (I take it if when revving it there are no air leaks from anywherre exept the rear tailpipe = no blowing?)

30082009131.gif

30082009135.gif

Next pic shows again 2 rear hangers and only really space for one in my existing mount? So I put a screw/nut through the hole and fitted it to my existing DIY'd mount. Was that the right thing to do? lol. Also, theres only 1 hanger on my center section whereas my original exhaust had 2. Im not too confident that the exhaust is secure? especially since one rear hanger is unused?

30082009132.gif

30082009133.gif

30082009134.gif

Finally, my 182 exhaust surround had a chunk missing out of one side so I had to improvise, unfortunately this left the exhaust sitting slightly wonky in the surround. If I buy a new surround and fit it the hole in the bumper will be larger so should look fine and central.

30082009129.gif

30082009136.gif

30082009137.gif

So - I posted this to ask for posetive advise/criticism. I'm taking it to an exhaust place tuesday so they can check everything over again but thought CS might be able to help me out in the meanwhile!

sorry to hear you've still probs with it

what's going on with that backbox? is it supposed to fit the car?

the hanger's the wrong way around? getting a decent fit for the backbox is going to revolve around what you can do with the hanger - i guess your welder would have considered it, but removing the original hanger (if possible - risk of damaging the box by the looks of it) and welding it back on the other way around after having trial fitted it should work. or have an exhaust fabricator cut the existing hanger off and use a new one

you need a new rear mount as well (get one before you have it rewelded)

i'd offer to have a go if you were local

?
Thanks for the quick reply, today has been awful! :(

Its a cat-back system from PROSPEED!

Use to belong to mini-valver and he had it fitted no problems to the same car :S

re-read that you've lost one of the hangers - it just looks odd with that one that's pointing rearwards, as there's no use for it with the standard mount?

anyway, it shouldn't be too big a job to sort it. would have thought most exhaust fitters/fabricators will deal with Bosal and they've a pattern mount (part number 255151, £10ish) that should help make sure it's done properly:)

the rubber looks nackered on the car, probably why its sagging down even with the wedges in....

dave had the additional mount/bar put on to get a better positioning on the bumper and to hold it in place better, so you wont have the mount there for that from standard....you have to ask him what he used to mount it to

It's A Reno
I've taken a few pics of my exhaust as it's a Prospeed too, just to show you what the hangers are like. Hope it helps.

P1000326.jpg

P1000327.jpg

P1000329.jpg

Sorry about the crap photos, and no comments about my dirty car please. :eek:

M2 Competition
Thats how my prospeed was (as in marby's pics)

As daft as the two hangers look, they make the exhaust sit so much more solidly.

It's A Reno
As Dan said, that's how Prospeed hang their exhausts.
It's bolted or screwed into the beam. I'm sure a motor factors shop etc will carry them.

?
So guys, how to finish fitting it?

- Buy an exhaust hanger from motor spares/halfords etc and buy a new rear mount!
- loosen all the clamps?
- fit hanger and new mount
done?

Will i need to remove the backbox?

CS exhaust fixing meet?

My Ktecs sitting pretty much the same, Ahmed do not go to Discount Tyres & Exhausts there bloody useless.